80lbs down!

Options
cheri822
cheri822 Posts: 62 Member
Earlier this year.. Easter to be exact. My boyfriend of 7 years passed away suddenly in his sleep. He was 24. It was the worst day of my entire life, words cannot explain the devastation I felt. We had met in high school and been together ever since.. I had planned on a lifetime of happiness with him. He was overweight but no serious health issues.. So his passing was a huge shock to myself and all of our friends/family. The weeks following his death were the worst of my life, I stopped eating completely. I barely drank any water.. my family tried to get me to at least drink some Gatorade and I lost 12lbs in one week from pure misery. I started getting really bad cramps, seeing weird spots, headaches, extreme exhaustion.. I decided right then that I was not going to let my life go to waste. My boyfriend, his name was Jarret had been a fun loving, laidback, hilarious, amazing man and I knew if he was watching me he'd be upset. I felt that his life was cut way too short and there was absolutely NO way I was going to waste mine away being overweight and unhealthy. If he didn't get the chance to live I sure as heck was going to take mine. I started eating healthier, cutting my portions way back and choosing healthy things..I started going to the gym and taking classes like Zumba, U-jam, Body Pump. Or going on walks around my neighborhood. The weight started to drop off and I started gaining more energy, less depression, more self confidence.. Through all my misery - exercise was one of the only things that could lift my mood. I weighed myself today, one day before my 25th Birthday and I've lost 80 pounds! I know Jarret would be so proud of me right now and I'm so proud of myself. This has been the hardest year I will ever face but I wanted to share my story so that any of you reading this will know it is possible.. in the absolute worst circumstances if you just believe in yourself you can conquer anything, so don't ever give up!

Replies

• Christinesyear
    Christinesyear Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow. Amazing story. I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm so happy you've changed your life!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    You look great.. glad you could persevere through everything..
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss, but proud of the way you've handled your grief. You're doing a great job of improving your health and quality of life. Eventually, I hope another quality man comes into your life and fills the void. God bless you.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    WOW!

I am so sorry for your loss.

You are an inspiring young lady, for how you turned this tragic loss to triumph. I am sure that your boyfriend, even though he is not with you, is smiling on you now. Congratulations, and keep up the wonderful work!
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss of Jarrett. My daughter lost her fiance in august, different circumstances, but the loss is so devastating and life changing. I feel for you and am so proud of you for taking a positive road. He would be very proud of the life you have made for yourself. I wish I was there to give you a big hug!!!:flowerforyou:
  • cheri822
    cheri822 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! Means a lot! :)
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss, but so very proud of you!
  • zannyzanzanzibar
    zannyzanzanzibar Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine going through something like that. I'm sure your boyfriend would be immensely proud of your success!

You're amazing and truly an inspiration to us all. Congrats :)
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Oh your poor heart. I am glad you took the healthy road out of the grief. What a beautiful story.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Your story brought me to tears. You are absolutely inspirational for taking something terrible and making it in to something positive!
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy reading this, the best way to honour loved ones we've lost is to live the best life we can.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    <3
    Im sorry for your loss.
    He would be so proud of you
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Wow what an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing.
  • BlueJue2
    Options
    You have quite an inspirational story. I was suddenly widowed 12 years ago and I know of the agony you went through. My husband died suddenly in his sleep. It is so true that what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger (after our grief lets up a bit). God bless you!
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine the devastation you've went through. Knowing he would be so proud of you must spur you on, this difficult year will be over with soon. Thank you for sharing this with us it must have been hard x
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss, but happy to see how you've used it to motivate yourself to become healthier. Great work!
  • DreamerOfSlim
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 80lbs - I'm new and your story has inspired me to work hard too...Thank you.

Jarrett must be so proud of you Sorry for your loss...
  • DreamerOfSlim
    Options
    Oh and Happy Birthday for tomorrow! :)
  • 39sherry
    39sherry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss & Im so sorry for your loss.
  • saniyamadani
    Options
    keep up the good work and sorry to hear about your loss.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!