For those who go to the gym...

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I always go early, before it's busy. Regardless of time of year.

^ Yeah, like at 4 a.m., right Jackson?

That's just dumb. My gym doesn't even open that early. One of the perk of working on a college campus is I can go at 8am and be the only one there.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Screw them. I go to the gym every lunch hour and the place is packed. I put on my earphones and do my thing. If they don't move, I make sure they do.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    When the new year approaches and all the new gym newbies with all their new resolutions start invading, how do you plan on handling it? I tend to skip the gym altogether which makes me fall off from my own health goals and I don't want to do that this year...

Maybe welcome them in as new members and applaude them for wanting to take the first steps to health.

sounds like a waste of time 99% of them will quit with in the week...

because they are not made to feel welcome? Gyms have changed these days; used to be more inclusive. Shame really.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    When the new year approaches and all the new gym newbies with all their new resolutions start invading, how do you plan on handling it? I tend to skip the gym altogether which makes me fall off from my own health goals and I don't want to do that this year...

Why does it concern you if more people come in, yes it's annoying when it gets more crowded but either work out early in the morning or deal wit it

It's an issue at my gym bc of parking :(
    I plan on going a lot later or earlier....no just later. I'm not waking up early, that's my resolution, haha
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I suck it up and realize that it will be busy for a few weeks, then most of them will stop coming and my 5 am gym time will be nice and quiet again.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    i hang out in the free weight section. No new years people attempt free weights.

QFT
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    oh man i DREAD that time of the year!!! arghh!!!
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym as early as I can (~6:45 am). I have done this two years in a row and I have been able to avoid the new year rush.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I am not going to shower before going and will wear sleeveless shirts..I hope I stink to high heaven...
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Walk around dropping 45lb plates on their toes.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    i hang out in the free weight section. No new years people attempt free weights.

Not true. Every year after new years I get back into the gym (specifically the free-weights section) for a good month or two.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2611alN7Q1r8bin7o1_400.gif
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options

Not true. Every year after new years I get back into the gym (specifically the free-weights section) for a good month or two.

I must just scare them away. I also make them feel shame so they never come back to the section.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Plan for your workouts to take longer until the hubbub dies down, and be prepared with a back up workout plan if you can't get to the equipment you need. The latter can really suck, but it's better than doing nothing.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I act like I'm new and tell everyone that I'm just here for a new years resolution so they won't see me in a month or 2. then I ask people that look confused how to use the equipment
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't get home from work until 7 so by time I eat dinner and get ready and get to the gym it's at least 8pm and hardly anyone is there anyway.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm stopping gym for financial reasons in Feb. next year. I am doing work-out tapes at home and other forms of exercise.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I thank them for paying my membership for 50 weeks out of the year and run outside and let them have their 2 weeks.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I'm planning on just glaring at them in a menacing way.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Put in some pop music, and every time one of them say 'yeah', 'no', or 'oh-oh-oh' bark real loud like a dog. You'll be able to get on anything you want.

You'll probably want some sort of throat lozenge. Seems like pop music is pretty much those three words repeated ad infinitum.