Sore knees during running?

Options
Ok so I'm a big guy...

That being said, I love running, and for the first time in my life I am running on a regular basis. By regular, I mean running 2-5 miles every day. By running, I mean more of a jog that I can maintain for 30 minutes.

Well lately, I've noticed some knee pain starting near the end of my run, and is usually gone by the morning. My knees are already damaged from being obese all my life (I am 270 lbs now, but I was >300 for most of my high school career).

So my question is; what do I do? Is this something that is normal when beginning a running program, and I should just push through? Or is this a major concern, where I should limit running on concrete, at least until I lose more weight? I went out and bought really good shoes, and I'm focusing on limiting the impact on my knees as much as possible. I love to run, but I also don't want to push my body to the point of a major injury.

Replies

• madworld1
    Options
    Do you ever take a day off? You say you run 2-5 miles every day. I used to never take a rest day and my knees paid for it. Do you stretch after you run? That is definitely a must. Have you tried taking glucosamine? I use it and it helps. As always, consult your doctor before taking any new meds (esp if you already take others).
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the pain; if you are consistently running on concrete; I would say break up your runs to other surfaces and see if it helps. Run dirt trails or macadam (black top) trails they have more "give" to them. My knees do hurt a little after running all the time and I've never been obese, however I have knee issues in my family. That being said I plan to run until I am no longer physically able to....but my knees just hurt a bit after a run and get a little tight. If you are in extreme pain, that is a different thing altogether and you may need to have an ortho assess your knees (of course they'll tell you to stop running, no squats, no lunges...can you tell I've already been there and I'm ignoring them?)

One other thing; I know you say you're heavy....how do you run? Heavy footed? Like running like an elephant? or do you try to run like a gazelle? Light footed? You want to practice stepping lightly b/c this will reduce the impact on your knees (and make your faster)...you may also want to try jogging in water (you can get a water aerobics/weight belt) and run in water with zero impact to your knees until you lose some weight...this is my next goal...we're going to build a pool so I can run in the water with zero impact, b/c I won't be able to run forever and I just LOVE running.
  • Sylkwyrm
    Sylkwyrm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    One thing you might try is glucosamine chondroitin. It helps with many joint issues. Poor quality or worn out shoes can also make your knees hurt. Maybe look into new shoes. You may also consider running on a treadmill. Treadmills absorb more impact than pavement.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    In my opinion and personal experiences is that knee pain is from weaknesses in the hips and other muscles. Strengthening hips is crucial to not having knee pain. I do at least 30 minutes of a variety of squats and lunges daily. It's made a world of difference for me. I do donkey kicks, and wall squats as well to work on making sure my hips are strong.

As a runner, the side effects of Glucosamine and Chondroitin are not something that I would want. They are Nausea,
    Diarrhea or Constipation, Indigestion, Upset stomach, Soft stools, Heart burn. I think runners have enough issues with this already that I personally wouldn't want to take the chances. I'd try other options first.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    So you bought new shoes. How old are they now? How many miles?
  • sixpackdream
    sixpackdream Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am 46 years old and 230 lbs trying to get down to 205. I play high level tennis and my knees have been my biggest fear and a couple of years ago they started hurting. I know several friends that had operations but I did not want to go that route. I am too active to go through the rehab -lol.

After trying many things I have had great luck and I can't believe that the pain has pretty much disappeared, without an operation.

1) I always stretch after a light warm up, just 3 - 5 minutes for my legs EVERY DAY. I do a quad stretch, hamstring stretch and calf stretch religiously. I do other stretching but this is for my knees.

Stretching the muscles around the knees relieves the muscles pulling on the tendons and therefore reduces the pressure around the knee (my theory anyway).

2) I bought four knee wraps that have some kind of pack in them that can be frozen or heated. The wrap is like a support wrap that has velcro and takes two seconds to put on my knees. I keep two packs in the freezer, these packs insert into the wraps. 15 minutes before I train or play tennis I microwave two wraps, insert them in the wrap and put them on my knees. After the exercise I take the two frozen wraps and put them on my knees. I keep a cooler in my car and wear the wraps on my drive home.

I noticed a significant difference after only a few weeks and will always do this now. I hope you give it a try, I am able to play like I was a kid again and I didn't think that would ever be possible.

As you mentioned, losing weight is really important.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about it.
  • cgilles9
    cgilles9 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do you ever take a day off? You say you run 2-5 miles every day. I used to never take a rest day and my knees paid for it. Do you stretch after you run? That is definitely a must. Have you tried taking glucosamine? I use it and it helps. As always, consult your doctor before taking any new meds (esp if you already take others).

I don't really take a day off. Rather there will be a day where I just walk rather than run. I'm bad about stretching, but getting better. :)
  • cgilles9
    Options
    It really depends on the pain; if you are consistently running on concrete; I would say break up your runs to other surfaces and see if it helps. Run dirt trails or macadam (black top) trails they have more "give" to them. My knees do hurt a little after running all the time and I've never been obese, however I have knee issues in my family. That being said I plan to run until I am no longer physically able to....but my knees just hurt a bit after a run and get a little tight. If you are in extreme pain, that is a different thing altogether and you may need to have an ortho assess your knees (of course they'll tell you to stop running, no squats, no lunges...can you tell I've already been there and I'm ignoring them?)

One other thing; I know you say you're heavy....how do you run? Heavy footed? Like running like an elephant? or do you try to run like a gazelle? Light footed? You want to practice stepping lightly b/c this will reduce the impact on your knees (and make your faster)...you may also want to try jogging in water (you can get a water aerobics/weight belt) and run in water with zero impact to your knees until you lose some weight...this is my next goal...we're going to build a pool so I can run in the water with zero impact, b/c I won't be able to run forever and I just LOVE running.

The pain isn't excruciating by any means. They just get stiff and a little soar. After I wake up in the morning, I walk a little gingerly for about an hour until they stretch out and warm up. Then I feel fine.
  • cgilles9
    Options
    So you bought new shoes. How old are they now? How many miles?

I bought them a couple weeks ago. There is maybe 40-50 miles on them. They are Asics Kayano 18s. I went to a running store, and they did the whole running analysis and everything.
  • cgilles9
    Options
    I am 46 years old and 230 lbs trying to get down to 205. I play high level tennis and my knees have been my biggest fear and a couple of years ago they started hurting. I know several friends that had operations but I did not want to go that route. I am too active to go through the rehab -lol.

After trying many things I have had great luck and I can't believe that the pain has pretty much disappeared, without an operation.

1) I always stretch after a light warm up, just 3 - 5 minutes for my legs EVERY DAY. I do a quad stretch, hamstring stretch and calf stretch religiously. I do other stretching but this is for my knees.

Stretching the muscles around the knees relieves the muscles pulling on the tendons and therefore reduces the pressure around the knee (my theory anyway).

2) I bought four knee wraps that have some kind of pack in them that can be frozen or heated. The wrap is like a support wrap that has velcro and takes two seconds to put on my knees. I keep two packs in the freezer, these packs insert into the wraps. 15 minutes before I train or play tennis I microwave two wraps, insert them in the wrap and put them on my knees. After the exercise I take the two frozen wraps and put them on my knees. I keep a cooler in my car and wear the wraps on my drive home.

I noticed a significant difference after only a few weeks and will always do this now. I hope you give it a try, I am able to play like I was a kid again and I didn't think that would ever be possible.

As you mentioned, losing weight is really important.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about it.

This is great! Thanks for the info.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    A couple of things I have learned on my still kind of new path to being a runner:

Fitted shoes (check!)

asphalt is softer than cement so I run in the street and not on the sidewalk (or you can trail run for less impact)

Your knees need a rest - I would suggest running no more than 5 days each week (my trainer suggests no more than 4 days)

Buy and wear a patella strap - they are inexpensive and if you are developing runner's knee, it is a good way to help without paying for a doctor visit

If it begins to swell and remain stiff and sore, take more days off and maybe see a doctor (and ICE it, do not apply heat)

Best of luck to you!!!
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    bump
  • madworld1
    Options

I don't really take a day off. Rather there will be a day where I just walk rather than run. I'm bad about stretching, but getting better. :)

Sounds alot like me. :) I have a hard time not doing something physical everyday & I get serious running withdrawals. But, in the long run I know a rest day or cross training day is important.

I noticed someone listed some nasty side effects of glucosamine. I have never experienced any of these & my doctor (who is a sports doctor) recommended them to me. Of course, everyone reacts differently to meds and supplements.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Make sure you give yourself at least 2 rest days starting out. And better yet, replace another day with crosstraining (swimming, rowing, biking etc). Try to run on trails, softer ground gentler on the joints and invest in some good quality shoes and maybe even some orthotics. There are also running clinics that could help you with form to prevent injury.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    WoW! Take days off. Nothing to do with size at all. I run at least 20 miles a week, but I take days off and cross train :) Most runners hate a day without running :)

Knee pain could be due to quads not being strong enough to support them, especially at that activity level and supporting any additional weight. I stopped running 15 years ago due to knee pain, but started again after I had been biking for awhile and I knew that I had lost weight and my legs were super-strong. I also take fish oil pills twice a day (advice from my sis-in-law who is also a runner and a doctor), plus make sure your shoes are good and the right ones for you. Best of luck! Feel free to add me if you are looking for suportive running friends :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    By regular, I mean running 2-5 miles every day. By running, I mean more of a jog that I can maintain for 30 minutes.

So my question is; what do I do? Is this something that is normal when beginning a running program, and I should just push through?
    This is the part that concerns me most. If you are relatively new to running you really shouldn't be running every day. Every other day is recommended for newer runners. You're already putting a lot of strain on your knees with the extra weight, adding in the fact that they are never getting any recovery time and you're heading for injury.

My advice is to cut back to running every other day and do some other form of non- or low-impact cardio on the days between. Or even better, with strength or weight work. Your knees will thank you.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Ahh, sorry, I see that you have the shoes sorted out, that's good. Varying your running suface can help too. For races I train on the surface type I'll be running on, but for fun and for exercise, trails and treadmills are easier on the knees.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    bump to use some of this advice.

I'd suggest in at least taking a rest day from jogging. Maybe jog every other day and get in a good walk on the days you don't jog?
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    You can make it easier on the knees if you shorten your stride, even if you feel your stride is already short, shorten it. If you want to run faster, increase your cadence (it's harder I know). Also be very careful to go as slow as possible uphill because you are putting even more strain on your knees then.
    Not stretching and not resting enough had me limping for a month. I now run pain free (yes, it's possible) every other day and only increase weekly mileage by 10%
    I wish I knew that when I started, would've saved me a lot of grief.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    make sure you have the right shoes!!! makes all the difference!!