100 Pounds Hanging Onto My *kitten*

Options
I eat like ****, lately. I was losing weight, now I'm not. I gained 8 pounds since I just stopped exercising a couple months ago. I need a kick in the pants or something. I want to lose 100 pounds. Some days I'm motivated. Others, I'm like... ehh, I'd rather sit on my *kitten*. How do I stay motivated???

Today I did 100 crunches, 50 jumping jacks, and walked half a mile. It's a start?? Any advice is much appreciated.

Replies

• SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Netflix Instant Play → "Forks Over Knives"; "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead'; "Food, Inc." Those vids changed my life. I've lost 30 pounds (I'm only 5'2") and it'll stay off forever. I'm 44 and a Size 4.

Eating right *does* take more effort but once you get in the groove, it's easy. Doesn't mean I don't eat bacon, pizza, and donuts anymore; it just means I eat them very occasionally. On a daily basis, eat for health and nutrition. You'll feel SO much better and therefore exercising is easier. (Have a look at my food diary.)

Look into local farmer's markets and whether you have a local produce cooperative, called a CSA. If you sign up for that, it forces the issue because you pay for your box of produce up front and are therefore motivated to EAT it all rather than let that money go to waste. Also, look into something like a Nutribullet (only $100). You can make smoothies of kale, banana, mango, coconut water that are packed with nutrition AND taste great!
  • JessicaEsqueda
    Options
    Thank you! I used to eat SO much better. But as my breastfeeding son's allergies increased, the healthy things I loved became off limits. It's like i just don't care enough about myself to get rid of the weight. I've started caring more though, and I think that's a start. I'm surprisingly healthy, but I'm young. Eventually this will catch up with me...
  • Millie0322
    Options
    Being 100 pounds overweight is a ticking time bomb. Its not a question if your health will decline, it will. Its only a matter of time and I'm speaking from experience! We are the same age, and I already have gallstones from being overweight! You have a small son, when you feel discouraged think of all the moments in his life that are not worth missing because of food! I'm on my journey to lose 100 pounds and its challenging! Everyday I face temptation and could make up a million excuses not to exercise but I want to life the life I've been dreaming of. Add me and we can do this together! You can do it!
  • JessicaEsqueda
    Options
    I absolutely know it's a health problem waiting to happen. And I don't want that. I'm still down 40 pounds from when i had my son, but I've got a LONG way to go. I just recently resolved the last of my health problems that were keeping me from exercising. Now, no (err, few!! Lol) excuses!
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just recently wrote a post on my personal blog (not on MFP) about motivation and where we find it. It can be extremely challenging, especially for those of us with 100+ lbs to lose. I think perhaps I should share it here though for others who might be in need. It can be done and even though I have my down days, it's so worthwhile to know that I'm living a healthier life. When I started this round of my journey back in early March of this year, I kept telling myself that I just wanted to be healthier, not to lose weight. It's so easy to focus on weight loss instead of what we should worry about - doing good things for our bodies. Perhaps if you just think about why you are doing this, and who you are doing it for, that will help you through those rough times.

I would also recommend working out in the mornings... not because I think it's the "best" time to work out, but because it's SOOO much easier to make excuses not to do it the later in the day it gets. Maybe even have a partner in crime. Have them commit a time of the day or week to you and you workout together. I know when someone is counting on me, I'm far more likely to do what I need to do.

Remember that YOU are worth this and that you have to be able to find the motivation within yourself. It sounds a bit harsh, but I said the exact same thing to myself just yesterday when I was looking for answers. The one who has to care about me - is me. :O) Hang in there... you can do this!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    just freaking do it. the motivation has to come within, or it won't last. I started with thinking I wanted to lose some weight.... two years and 116lbs down, I'm a totally different person, and my life is completely different. I work out 5-6 days a week (strength training, running, cycling, elliptical, pitaiyo, circuit training).... I ran my first half marathon on 11/10/12, and I'm getting ready to run my second this coming weekend.

whether you think you can or you can't, you're right.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I will also say, if you have interest, I did post my blog post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/814576-finding-motivation-without-goals
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I wish I had words of wisdom, that would help to motivate you, but unfortunately. YOU'RE the only person who at the end of the day can motivate YOU. You have to want to be healthy. You have to want to see a change in your body. You have to want to make better choices. It took me a long time, but I'm finally a point in my life where getting bigger is just NOT ok with me. I almost hit 160 lbs this year. I could not believe what I looked like this past Halloween. Those pictures motivated the crap out of me. In 4 days I'll have been going to the gym for 30 days. I've only lost 7 lbs (so far), but I'm extremely proud of myself. I can feel the changes in my body and I'm no longer wearing my spanks- cheers to that :drinker:
  • fishifishy
    Options
    I just attended a seminar at school about motivation and how it affects your academic career, and it applies itself really well to other situations.

Like other members have stated, motivation HAS to come from within, or else it won't last you to your goal, or it motivates you for the wrong reasons. Find a goal, stick to it, and keep on sticking to it until you reach your goal.
  • JessicaEsqueda
    Options
    I think a big part of it is that I'm focused on myself in other ways. I'm focused on my kids, my job, my school. I want to better myself, but I haven't been doing much for myself PHYSICALLY. Seeing a couple extra pounds on the scale was pretty eye opening though. And today was a good eating day-- tomorrow will be a good eating day too. One step at at time, right?