Foods w/ just calories?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I consider protein and fiber minimums. I focus on those when my calories are low. Meat, veg....
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Forget about the macros MFP sets. They really mean nothing to the average person.

The problem is, the macros MFP sets are simple math from your calories:

Total calories x C% / 4 = C grams
    Total calories x P% / 4 = P grams
    Total calories x F% / 9 = F grams

For OP to be at the limit for each of C, P, and F and yet still not be to her total calories means that at least one of the foods she has logged has incorrect macros. Simple answer is for her to check each one, find the problem, and fix it.

But yeah, that said, for weight loss, adhering to the macros MFP sets probably isn't that important.

this, 1000 times over
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods just have calories....I get to a point where my other macros have turned red but I need to full fill my calories, what do you eat to do this? I can't seem to work them all out to green!

Macros ARE the calories. Sorry.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Protein! The protein numbers on this site are too low. Egg whites are great!
  • LeeWorrall88
    Options
    Just eat more protein. Nothing wrong with lots of protein.

This
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Forget about the macros MFP sets. They really mean nothing to the average person.

The problem is, the macros MFP sets are simple math from your calories:

Total calories x C% / 4 = C grams
    Total calories x P% / 4 = P grams
    Total calories x F% / 9 = F grams

For OP to be at the limit for each of C, P, and F and yet still not be to her total calories means that at least one of the foods she has logged has incorrect macros. Simple answer is for her to check each one, find the problem, and fix it.

But yeah, that said, for weight loss, adhering to the macros MFP sets probably isn't that important.

^ There's your answer.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It is just downright impossible to be over on all of your macros and be under on calories. It just doesn't make sense. Come on now.

Also, I agree with all the protein posts. I aim for 80-100 g of protein a day and I'm on the low side of the protein scale.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    A calorie is just a unit of measure - it just measures heat energy - food / beverages are made up of the macro nutrients - protien, carb, fat etc - everything is made up of the macro nutrients in some mix
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It is just downright impossible to be over on all of your macros and be under on calories. It just doesn't make sense. Come on now.

Also, I agree with all the protein posts. I aim for 80-100 g of protein a day and I'm on the low side of the protein scale.

You can manually change your macros to be grams and go over them without going over calories.

To the OP you need to change to percentages not grams. Or have some rum on the rocks which does not have carbs.
  • AndreaL0918
    AndreaL0918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber, sodium, and sugar always end up in red. Protein especially!! Sugar gets second, however I don't worry about fiber. I just want to eat foods that have calories, carbs, and fat w/o dipping in the other at the end of a day. Pretty simple. I can't ever seem to find this happiness.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You can manually change your macros to be grams and go over them without going over calories.

To the OP you need to change to percentages not grams. Or have some rum on the rocks which does not have carbs.

MFP is set up to use percentages - not grams
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber, sodium, and sugar always end up in red. Protein especially!! Sugar gets second, however I don't worry about fiber. I just want to eat foods that have calories, carbs, and fat w/o dipping in the other at the end of a day. Pretty simple. I can't ever seem to find this happiness.

This would be perfect for you than, carbs in the batter and fat from the butter and oil

deepfriedbutter.jpg
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Alcohol.
    No. Alcohol is sugar.
  • AndreaL0918
    AndreaL0918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'll pass on the deep fried butter. Yuck! So who cares what your protein numbers are? I can deal w/ that! I just can't stand when sugar and sodium go deep in the red but I want to eat all my calories they say you have to eat, even burnt ones....appears it's impossible.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'll pass on the deep fried butter. Yuck! So who cares what your protein numbers are? I can deal w/ that! I just can't stand when sugar and sodium go deep in the red but I want to eat all my calories they say you have to eat, even burnt ones....appears it's impossible.

Then take a look at the types of foods you are eating. You may be making choices that are not the best for your macros.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, sugar and fat. Those are the only foods that are just calories, with everything else taken out.

1 tsp of sugar has 4g of carbs... And also alcohol does have carbs too.. =P
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Alcohol.

Alcohol is a carb
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Your body only digests fat, carbohydrates, protein, and alcohol in to energy. Calories are a measurement of energy. There is no such thing as a food calorie with no macronutrients. However, alcohol isn't tracked by MFP, so if you fill the rest of your calories with some nice grain alcohol, at 7cal/g, it will not affect your macronutrient trackers.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

MFP is set up to use percentages - not grams

Sorry my bad, Protein, Carbs and Fat are Percentages but the others can be changed to whatever you want grams (fiber, sodium, sugar, etc)
    Looks to me that the OP needs more fat in her diet but wants protein and sugar free carbs.

Distilled alcohol does not have carbs, wine and beer does.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to find a food that's just calories, since you are often over on your other macros, take a look at the foods you are eating to see what is putting you over and adjust those. If sodium is often over, for example, look at the sources of sodium on your list and substitute that food with something that is lower in sodium.

Keep in mind that fiber and protein are good, it's perfectly ok, even encouraged, to go over on those. Being a little under your calories won't kill you either, so long as it's not a lot under consistently.