shift work ravenous at midnight

Options
I have got to figure out a way to curb the evening cravings/hunger. I work 1pm to 11pm and the bulk of my calories are consumed just before I go to bed. Not good. Need a way to curb my appetite. If I worked a day shift I could just go to bed when tempted to eat at night.
When I have met my calorie count by 8pm I never ever make it to midnight without going over. Bummed.
I will do much better on weekends.
Anybody been able to muzzle the after dinner beast???

Replies

• brassballa
    brassballa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If u do a little research you will find that it does not matter what time u get ur calories only if ur on target... it's ok ur schedule is different than everyone else's just make sure u have some snacks during ur work day ... I hope this helps
  • brassballa
    Options
    Oh I also chew cinnamon gum right before I go home I feel more in control
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I work a combination of day shifts, 12 hour hospital shifts, and 24 hour in hospital call shifts.

My best advice is to log, log, log! Midnight is always the cutoff point, and be careful about doubling up on meals before bed. I find that I'm so tired that I will still sleep if I go to bed a bit hungry.

100 cal granola bars, small ziploc bags of trail mix, and raisins or craisins are good to have on board, and lots of water plus/minus calorie free flavouring!

You'll get there!!!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Why is it not good to consume the majority of your calories before bed? I do that nearly every day-heck, I eat in bed just before I go to sleep. Unless you get heartburn or digestive issues from sleeping with a full belly, eat up when it fits your schedule. It doesn't matter what hour of the day at which you choose to eat your calories-it matters how many of them you eat. Stay under your net goal for the day and you're golden.
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Why is it not good to consume the majority of your calories before bed? I do that nearly every day-heck, I eat in bed just before I go to sleep. Unless you get heartburn or digestive issues from sleeping with a full belly, eat up when it fits your schedule. It doesn't matter what hour of the day at which you choose to eat your calories-it matters how many of them you eat. Stay under your net goal for the day and you're golden.

I was unclear: a problem for a lot of folks on odd shifts is that you can have trouble keeping track of meals. For instance, when I work a 24 hour shift, I will sometimes eat overnight (at work), before bed because of hunger and because it's breakfast time, then sleep, then have a late lunch and dinner...but what seems like 3 meals is actually 4 in 24 hours.

Personally, I prefer not to waste the feeling of satiety/fullness on sleep, and I just wake up hungry when I eat before bed...so I don't like bedtime eating. Cutting that out helped my goals, but it's not for everyone.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

I was unclear: a problem for a lot of folks on odd shifts is that you can have trouble keeping track of meals. For instance, when I work a 24 hour shift, I will sometimes eat overnight (at work), before bed because of hunger and because it's breakfast time, then sleep, then have a late lunch and dinner...but what seems like 3 meals is actually 4 in 24 hours.

Personally, I prefer not to waste the feeling of satiety/fullness on sleep, and I just wake up hungry when I eat before bed...so I don't like bedtime eating. Cutting that out helped my goals, but it's not for everyone.

God bless you with the quirky shifts! I was referencing the OP-who sounds like she's working a second-shift kind of a shift but mentioned that it was not good that she consumed the bulk of her calories before bed. We all have to find what works for us with our own circumstances-I was sharing that in my experience, there's nothing inherently wrong with eating at bedtime-so if that's what works for you (as it does for me), go for it. We should all be striving to find the best fit for our own goals, lifestyles and preferences (as different as those methods may be). Congrats on your success and seriously-god bless you and the quirky shifts!
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Avoid highly refined carbohydrates (sugar, bread, potatoes, white rice) for your dinner because they lead you to be hungry again soon. Use the same calories on food with protein and fat instead, and you will stay full longer.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't really matter.

I actually ate about 1800 calories in a 2 hour window about 4 hours ago. Pretty satisfied. I have 1 more meal left and I am at work now.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Meal timing and frequency have been shown to have no impact on metabolic rate or weight loss. If you know you get hungry at those times then keep calories available and plan for it. As long as you stay within your calorie goals you should have no issues.
  • carolmsb
    carolmsb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If u do a little research you will find that it does not matter what time u get ur calories only if ur on target... it's ok ur schedule is different than everyone else's just make sure u have some snacks during ur work day ... I hope this helps

Didn't realize it does not matter what time I get calories in. Thanks for the tip-and the nudge to do a little research!
  • carolmsb
    Options

My best advice is to log, log, log! Midnight is always the cutoff point, and be careful about doubling up on meals before bed. I find that I'm so tired that I will still sleep if I go to bed a bit hungry.

100 cal granola bars, small ziploc bags of trail mix, and raisins or craisins are good to have on board, and lots of water plus/minus calorie free flavouring!

You'll get there!!!

Doubling up on meals before bed is what I do. Going to bed hungry is what I don't do! HMmmmm Thanks-I'll think of you whenever I go to bed hungry-if they can do it-I can do it !
  • carolmsb
    Options

It's just been ingrained in me that breakfast is the most important meal of the day-meaning have a big breakfast and a light supper.
    Anyway- I'm willing to make the shift to light breakfast and save calories for late evening.
  • carolmsb
    Options
    Avoid highly refined carbohydrates (sugar, bread, potatoes, white rice) for your dinner because they lead you to be hungry again soon. Use the same calories on food with protein and fat instead, and you will stay full longer.

truer words were never spoken. I certainly know that intellectually-but the hungry hungry hippo has a tendancy to grab the sugar and carbs. You are tapping into my conscience.
  • carolmsb
    Options
    Timing doesn't really matter.

I actually ate about 1800 calories in a 2 hour window about 4 hours ago. Pretty satisfied. I have 1 more meal left and I am at work now.

And yet, I've heard it is important to eat lighter meals more frequently to stabalize sugars. I need to accept that just because I'm hungry does not mean I am starving!
  • carolmsb
    Options
    Meal timing and frequency have been shown to have no impact on metabolic rate or weight loss. If you know you get hungry at those times then keep calories available and plan for it. As long as you stay within your calorie goals you should have no issues.

This seems to be the consensus-so I'll give it a go. And thanks all for your replies.
    I sure picked a tedious way to reply individually.ACK So much to learn.
  • brassballa
    Options
    seems you have got plenty of advise from everyone and everyone has good points figure out what works for you :happy:
  • carolmsb
    Options
    I've got the weekends licked-interesting choice of words! I was under calories on Friday-even went to a quarter auction with nachos all around-did not partake.
    I deliberately delayed breakfast even though that seems counter intuitive for fueling up for the day. But if my best thinking got me here-perhaps I should try another way.