How can I get more calcium and iron?

Options
I added calcium and iron to my food diary report just to see where I stand. I definitely work to get enough protein as a vegetarian and haven't had a problem there. But I seem to lack calcium and iron. Without taking supplements (though I will if necessary), how can I can get more calcium and iron without going over my calories for the day?

Replies

• MisguidedRoses
    MisguidedRoses Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I heard beets provide a lot of iron as well as spinach.
    I'm sure you know leafy greens provide a lot of calcium.
    Almond milk and coconut milk are good too.
  • mfbonafide
    mfbonafide Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is amazing. Read the ingredients and you will see!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Quinoa!!! I don't eat red meat so I need to something to replace my iron and the most iron rich food I've found is Quinoa by far!
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll. I will definitely try almond milk. I like spinach, but haven't been eating much of it lately. I guess I get some more. I don't really like beets :( I'll look up some recipes though and maybe I'll try preparing them differently. I've only had quinoa once and didn't like it, but again, I'll look up some recipes and try again. If you have any suggestions, let me know :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm taking multivitamins to help with it
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    The best absorbed/ utilised sources of calcium and iron and dairy and meat. The US government produces some excellent information
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-HealthProfessional/
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/

Foods like almond milk are generally only good sources if they are fortified - the vitamins are added, like taking a supplement - whole almonds are a good source tho.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm taking multivitamins to help with it

yeap, supplements :smile: