is it really an eating disorder

Options
the new DSM has defined binge eating as an official psychiatric disorder do you agree or disagree?

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Hasn't that been considered an eating disorder for a long time now?
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    If you hate yourself for doing it, then maybe. But I binge at least once a month on a cheat day and feel pretty good about it :-)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes since it's disordered eating that affects a person's emotional state and physical state. But hasn't it been an eating disorder for awhile?
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    As someone who used to go buy 20 bucks of fresh bread to share with a fellow carboholic (we called it bread feast) I would say Yeah... It really is.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    no binging and purging is a disorder but now theres a disorder for people who just consume extreme amounts of food quickly and i believe feeling guilty is part of it
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you hate yourself for doing it, then maybe. But I binge at least once a month on a cheat day and feel pretty good about it :-)

I think to be classified as having the disorder you'd have to binge more than once a month, and likely not feel good about it.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    100 percent agreed.

It's like drugs or alcohol. People cannot control their food intake. Often times the reason they're binging is emotional so it becomes a response to depression or stress or some other emotion/reason.

So yes it really is an eating disorder. It's actually not unheard of for drug addicts or alcoholics to develop binge eating disorder after getting sober or clean because they end up replacing one addiction with another, and sugar mimics some of the effects of alcohol in the brain.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    no binging and purging is a disorder but now theres a disorder for people who just consume extreme amounts of food quickly and i believe feeling guilty is part of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_disorder
    http://www.something-fishy.org/whatarethey/be.php

Preeeeeetty sure it's been considered a disorder for awhile now. Could be wrong here, though.
  • djames92
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_disorder
    http://www.something-fishy.org/whatarethey/be.php

Preeeeeetty sure it's been considered a disorder for awhile now. Could be wrong here, though.
    it was always considered part of an eating disorder as a symptom but now its going to be officially one by itself when the new DSM comes out
  • megannicolex33
    Options
    Binge Eating Disorder (BED) is already an eating disorder... this didn't just happen, it's been that way for a long time. And it's just as destructive as any other eating disorder. Trust me, I know.
  • djames92
    Options
    Binge Eating Disorder (BED) is already an eating disorder... this didn't just happen, it's been that way for a long time. And it's just as destructive as any other eating disorder. Trust me, I know.
    **** i meant psychiatric disorder haha
    http://www.thestar.com/living/article/1297107--dsm-5-asperger-s-dropped-from-diagnostic-guide-hoarding-and-binge-eating-added
  • peanutbutterrunner
    Options
    This.

It's disordered eating, so why wouldn't it be an eating disorder? Ya know
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a DSM V, or new revisions of VI that was just published it's been in there for a while. My copy of DSM IV is 11 years old and it's in there.
  • djames92
    Options
    Unless there is a DSM V, or new revisions of VI that was just published it's been in there for a while. My copy of DSM IV is 11 years old and it's in there.
    how is it in DSM IV when its listed as new in DSM V
  • ellewoods37
    Options

Binging once a month is completely different behavior than a binge eating disorder.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It is disordered eating that leads to serious health problems (sometimes even death), and interferes with a person's quality of life and sometimes even controls their life, so yes.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    how is it in DSM IV when its listed as new in DSM V

It was likely just reclassified in V.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Yes binge eating is an eating disorder I believe, but a lot of people overuse the word "binge". It needs to be clear that there is a fine line between binge eating and overeating, they are not the same thing. Often after binge eating, there are compensatory behaviours going on to make up for it, not in all cases though.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    In ICD-9 it is called bulimia nervosa code # 307.51 been around for awhile wait till the new ICD-10 comes active in 2014.....the code then will be F50.2
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    As a true binge eater, I can tell you that having a once a month 'free' day isn't binging.