Myfitness pal tells me I can only eat 1200 calories...

Options
2»

Replies

• mom020305
    mom020305 Posts: 33
    Options
    I think MFP puts alot of people at 1200, I was one of them and that was not enough for me not even adding in my exercise cals. I am 5'8" and at the time 176. I did some reasearch and other sites and a nutrionist told me that was too low for me. You will have to tweak it for your particular body, MFP is only a computer program IMO so do some research and see what works better for you. If you are losing fine on the 1200 cals then stay at it and eat the exercise cals, just make smart eating choices!. is 160 really want you are burning or is that based on what you entered into MFP?
  • Oldroller
    Oldroller Posts: 11
    Options
    For me to lose 2lbs a week, I'm at 1,390 not including exercise. When I do exercise I average between 350 and 400 calories which gets added to the 1,390.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Don't eat your exercise calories right now if you want to loose weight.
    Think of it this of it this way 3500 calories is a pound...make sure you burn 3500 calories while working out in a week to loose a pound a week. Thats 500 calories you need to burn per day. Most people can burn 500 calories just by walking for 60mins.

Nope. This is wrong because MFP has already calculated your calorie deficit based on how much you said you wanted to lose per week.

Eat your exercise calories -- at least some of them. Otherwise you may be creating too large of a calorie deficit for your body to handle. What happens if you do this? Well, the short of it is that you STOP LOSING WEIGHT.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I think MFP puts alot of people at 1200, I was one of them and that was not enough for me not even adding in my exercise cals. I am 5'8" and at the time 176. I did some reasearch and other sites and a nutrionist told me that was too low for me. You will have to tweak it for your particular body, MFP is only a computer program IMO so do some research and see what works better for you.

Of course 1200 is too low for you.

MFP just spits out your recommended calorie intake using a calculator that doesn't take things into account like your sex or height or other personal variables.

MFP is a great tool, but you have to use your noggin', too! :wink:
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think MFP puts alot of people at 1200, I was one of them and that was not enough for me not even adding in my exercise cals. I am 5'8" and at the time 176. I did some reasearch and other sites and a nutrionist told me that was too low for me. You will have to tweak it for your particular body, MFP is only a computer program IMO so do some research and see what works better for you. If you are losing fine on the 1200 cals then stay at it and eat the exercise cals, just make smart eating choices!. is 160 really want you are burning or is that based on what you entered into MFP?
    That's what MFP said based on what I put in. It asks your level and gives examples of: sedentary; desk job. moderate; salesman. Etc. So I figured it was based on what I normally do @ work which is sit at a desk. But I will obviously work out outside of work so it would be more... Today is my first day and I didn't exercise really, and wound up 232 calories over my 1200 goal. I figure that's not bad for my first day of an unplanned diet regimen :smile:
  • SexyIsPainful
    SexyIsPainful Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to eat 6 small meals a day - about 200 calories each - every 2-3 hours. For instance, eat at 8 am 10 am 12pm 2pm 4pm and 6pm. A small meal might consist of an piece of fruit and almonds or yogurt and drinking a glass of water with each meal. My problem is that I try to eat a serving of fruit or vegetable and a protein each meal however, I am finding myself not really hungry - missing like 2 of those meals and then I am under my calorie intake. I was told green tea helps to curb appetite but I have been limiting to drinking green tea right before exercise to help with calorie burn because I really do not get hungry when I drink green tea.
  • mom020305
    mom020305 Posts: 33
    Options
    I think MFP puts alot of people at 1200, I was one of them and that was not enough for me not even adding in my exercise cals. I am 5'8" and at the time 176. I did some reasearch and other sites and a nutrionist told me that was too low for me. You will have to tweak it for your particular body, MFP is only a computer program IMO so do some research and see what works better for you.

Of course 1200 is too low for you.

MFP just spits out your recommended calorie intake using a calculator that doesn't take things into account like your sex or height or other personal variables.

MFP is a great tool, but you have to use your noggin', too! :wink:

is there a particular site you like to use as a guideline to calculate your calorie intake?
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, if I had to live on 1,200 calories a day I'd be going crazy :explode: The only day I managed to do that was after dental surgery! :laugh:

But this plan gives me the motivation to haul my lazy self out to the dojo or gym, or to take the dog for really long walks (the kind that leave him limping and wheezing but it's ok; he's a faker). I exercise so I can eat more! :blushing:
  • amarti24
    amarti24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest problems we have in this society is that we over eat. Keep that in mind. when I started this I did it for two reasons to learn how to fuel my body rather then just fill my cravings and get myself into shape for my first upcoming triathlon. I am on a swim team and run so I was already an active person, I just ate way to much. Before I came to mfp I kept track of my food through a spreadsheet and allowed myself 1500 calories. I felt overwhelmed at first by how little I was eating but my body adapted. Then I came here and they told me I should be eating 1200 calories. My eyes popped out and I thought yeah right. well I tried it out and it's worked. My success with mfp increased greatly. I am almost at my first goal of 10 pounds! Not bad for one month.

Honestly it is all about planning. I have so many snacks in the house now it's crazy. Pudding, cereal bar, eggs, 100 calorie cookies, etc. I am a BIG advocate on stocking up your pantry with snacks so that way you get a little something in between meals. I also bring these snacks with me to work. My bag is chuck full of things to eat about everyday.
  • alr65
    alr65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi. maybe you need to choose foods with more bulk for the calories. it doesnt sound like your food choices are very filling. don't skip meals, but instead try to boost your calorie burning. if you boost your low calorie/high bulk food consumption and intensify your workout, I think you send the signal to your body that there is no famine or crisis and that it is OK to burn those calories (instead of starving and lowering your metabolism) im no expert but it works for me. good luck