The Splits! I want to learn how!

I have decided a neat goal would be to learn to do the splits. I have looked a few sites and this one seemed most interesting so far.
http://gymnastics.about.com/od/trainingadvice/ss/frontsplit.htm

Any thoughts/ideas/comments? Any one else want to try as well?

:smile:

Replies

• nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    lool i posted a topic similiar to this a few weeks ago. i am about 24 lbs over my goal and i was wondering if ppl are just born bein able to do the split or if its somethin u can learn or if there are ppl that just cant do it because of their body. ill look this site up :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    I didn't think it was anything you learned, I thought you just stretch for a while until you can do it.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Here is a thread topic i can get behind...
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Some people just can't do the splits, I'm warning you now... A lot of it has to do with how your joints are shaped and the way your ligaments are arranged. That being said, you can certainly improve them. Do lunges as deeply as you can every day and then s l o w l y incorporate sliding down into the splits. Helpful hint: if you put both arms straight up, it gives you a deeper stretch. But be careful! It takes a lot of time and patience to see improvement, but it will certainly happen if you stick with it.

Another thing: if you have access to a ballet barre or something similar, practice on there... Here are some videos to give you an idea http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=barre+stretch+splits
  • jodfie
    jodfie Posts: 144 Member
    start doing yoga...it will help you become flexible enough...i believe everyone could do a split
  • princessthecat22
    princessthecat22 Posts: 57 Member
    I believe it all has to do with stretching, as a child I could do splits but now if I try I would bust a hip out of place :)
  • Improve your flexibility and practice. Don't be disappointed if you are unable to do it because many can't, whether fit or not.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    I've always wanted to put my legs over my head. I wouldn't mind doing the splits either. Someday. It's going to happen.
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    If all those male hockey goalies can learn how to do them, then you can too!

Just gota keep working toward it. Lots of stretching.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 313 Member
    bump!
  • I did a similar goal last summer for martial arts, to see if I could get to a point of doing a full splits.

I can't quite to a full splits now to the side, but I am getting closer. And I was no where close to start.

As people have said, it's a lot of stretching. Yes some people are born with an "innate" ability to be more flexible, and some with less. I feel I was about dead centre. I just got into the habit of doing about 15 minutes of stretching each evening.

A big thing that I found helped a lot, was not putting all the strain on your legs, it can really hurt, and more importantly you can hurt yourself. Using a chair in front of you for support is a great support.

It's also an easy way to guage success, full length arms, bent elbows, resting on your elbows and so on as your legs become more accustomed to getting deeper into the splits.

Holding the splits ( or as far as you can go ) for a few minutes, and then getting up, walking around a bit, then going back into it. You have to push yourself multiple times, but give the legs some rest time, or else getting out of them can be really difficult and result in injury.

Hope this helps :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Helpful hint: if you put both arms straight up, it gives you a deeper stretch.

When you can't get into the splits, you need both hands on the floor so you can take your bodyweight onto your arms and not through your legs, which may slip suddenly and strain your hamstrings.

If you want to acheive splits your quikest safest route is to take up Yoga where you will learn to practise supporting exercises around the splits to ensure you keep safe.