Need new food ideas

Options
As everybody probably does, I have a list of go to foods that are very low in calories and filling but I am getting a little bored. I will share mine if some of you can share yours. Mine are Chia seeds put in my water before my 3 main meals, Herb Ox sodium free instant broth with a quarter serving of Dreamfield noodles, Pico de gallo for my Mexican food cravings, and Wasa light rye crackers for a bread substitute. I have been eating a lot of these food for the past 2 months and would love some new ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am maintaining now but still roughly eating the same way as when I was losing. I just eat more snacks now to make up the difference in calories. These are some of my usual go-to meals:

Breakfast:
    -Rolled oats sweetened by maple syrup. Add ins can include berries or canned pumpkin or both, and always includes cinnamon and raisins
    -Scramble a couple eggs with leftover veg. I will steam extra broccoli with dinner or set aside extra mushrooms, peppers, etc. to use them for breakfast the next day. Add cheese too if you like.
    -One piece of whole grain toast and a poached egg (or 2)
    -Wheat english muffin, one egg, slice of sharp cheddar and a piece or two of bacon...way less calories than you'd think and very filling!

Lunch:
    I love soups: Vegetable, minestrone, chicken noodle...so filling for so few calories. I am currently eating this for lunch this week and it is awesome:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/amazon_bean_soup_with_winter_squash_greens.html

Another favorite is this low cal creamy broccoli soup:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/broccoli_cannellini_bean_cheddar_soup.html

I also do a lot of wild rice or quinoa salads with a bunch of veg mixed in. Sometimes I will do wraps. rarely do I do sandwiches as I don't find the bread calories to be worth it and I make my own bread, so I won't eat that low calorie bread. I have been ruined on the good stuff!

Dinner:
    Varies wildly from traditional meat and veg to stews to curries

Snacks:
    Fage Greek yogurt
    almonds
    trail mix
    apple, pear, clementines...whatever is in season and looks good
    peanut butter and banana (or apple)
    peanut butter and celery

My diary is open if you feel like browsing for ideas I don't log weekends anymore since going to maintenance). Also, I eat meat but try to stay vegetarian until dinner in order to limit my meat consumption.
  • lirr10185
    lirr10185 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This will help to spark some motivation.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Snacks - Strawberries (very low cal and delicous); I also like raw carrot chips dipped into hummis.

Also, it's a great time of the year for spaggeti squash which can be cooked in the microwave in minutes.
  • stephgreene
    Options
    @Madholm how do you cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave?!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Most fruits and vegetables are low in calories. Can eat fruit and vegetables as they are or veggies dipped in a little tomato salsa or reduced fat houmous or Greek yoghurt or low fat soft cheese.