Eating Out - Italian

Options
Good Morning! I'm going out to an Italian Restaurant tonight. Their menu is not online, so my calories will be guesses. I'm thinking a side salad w/ no dressing and chicken marsala - is this the best choice for a "generic" italian place? Any suggestions?

Replies

• VelvetAcidVixen
    Options
    You can take any dish with a protein and swap the pasta for veggies. Any kind of marinara or tomato sauce is a safe bet.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Avoid white sauces with huge servings of pasta.

Other than that you should order whatever sounds good on the menu and use portion control (leftover box) if it seems too rich.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it then get back to schedule tomorrow.
    Drink lots of water to help counter bloat from lots of carbs + lots of sodium.
    Try getting in a hard workout the next morning; spaghetti dinners the night before track meets did wonders.
    Don't ever go to Olive Garden.

PEACE.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, eat your salad first (oil and vinegar on the side) to fill you up. I'd probably stick with some kind of chicken dish, no white sauces or buttery sauces, no pasta if possible (although many restaurants are offering whole wheat pasta now). Avoid the bread if you can. Try to eat no more than half, because servings at most restaurants are at least double the size of what an actual serving should be.
    I know many people suggest boxing up the leftovers and taking them home, but for me personally - I don't want those leftovers in my house - if I'm going to eat them later in the week anyway - what is the point? I might as well eat it all at the restaurant. I just leave my leftovers there.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion would be to eat what you enjoy in moderation, since it probably won't be cheap. Then get back on track tomorrow (and maybe work out extra?).
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Don't ever go to Olive Garden.

Completely agree - and guess where my company is having our Holiday party this year? You guessed it. I'm not going because these are the lunch options:
    Eggplant Parm
    Lasagna
    Ravioli
    Fettucini Alfredo

Gee, thanks for the healthy options for some of us.