Losing inches by doing yoga?

Options
Is that possible? I was gonna do yoga today because my legs hurt, but then I started thinking, "can you lose inches do this"?

Replies

• lily653
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • pbird65
    pbird65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think Yoga is an awesome core workout. It's harder than it looks.
  • lily653
    Options
    I think Yoga is an awesome core workout. It's harder than it looks.

Much harder than it looks!!! Not only my core, but also my arms and legs as well.
  • dangitsjill
    dangitsjill Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    definitely! it focuses on lots of muscle groups, some of which you might not even realize you have.
    plus spiritual health is also important :)
  • starjumper12
    Options
    yoga has been my main exercise for the last 3 months. core, arms, shoulders, and LEGS... i couldn't believe the change in my legs! it also helps you to maintain flexibility while building the muscles.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    If you go to the right yoga class - definitely! Certain classes have left me sore for a few days!
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    There was a video on Yahoo a while back about a veteran who could only walk with 2 canes who started doing the DDP Yoga and lost not only weight but the canes and can now run, jump and do all kinds of things his doctors told him he would never do again. Could be just a hoax video but it still was really motivational.

http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I haven't seen my weight come down on the scale but I definitely notice a change in my body. It's getting a lot stronger and leaner. I do hot power yoga about 4 days a week. Highly recommend it.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For the first four months, I did a form of Yoga for 6 days out of the week and lost a bulk of my weight and a lot of inches. Yes, it surprised me with the results and to this day, I continue with the routines... just mixed in the kettlebells with it! :)
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    There was a video on Yahoo a while back about a veteran who could only walk with 2 canes who started doing the DDP Yoga and lost not only weight but the canes and can now run, jump and do all kinds of things his doctors told him he would never do again. Could be just a hoax video but it still was really motivational.

http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

That video is such an inspiration. Watched it a few weeks ago and definitely pushed me to do yoga more often.

Not only does it make you stronger and more flexible, but puts peace and tranquility in your life. I always feel centered and calm after a good hour of hot yoga.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    here is the thing... do you want to lose inches??? judging by your profile picture, you like to lift weights. are you concerned with losing inches on your thighs and potentially losing muscle mass?

if so, a single yoga class will not cause you to lose inches.

when i can, i go to the power yoga class at my gym. it's a nice stretch and work out. it's tougher then it looks.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner at exercise, I'd say yes. Otherwise it's just a good stretch and a good way to build up endurance.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I've done it before, just not consistently. I just want to lose inches all over, not just my thighs.