Question about exceeding my caloric recommendation.

Options
I started at around 145 and am down to 139. I wanted to loosed 2 pounds a week so MFP suggested that my net caloric intake be 1200. I generally exceed 1200 because I am starving but I still have lost some weight. Does anyone know if exceeding my net goal by 200-300 calories up to 3 times a week will affect my eventual weight loss? It seems to be working and I know I am consuming far fewer calories but I just wanted to check in with anyone else who might do the same.

I have read other posts where people state that they have a difficult time consuming that many calories (1200) and I am thinking, "huh?" I am generally famished. The diary is working because now I am only eating when I am hungry but I am definitely not having a hard time consuming 1200 calories. When I exercise, of course, it (calorie allowance) is more but the net is still around 1200.

I should also mention that I do exercise vigorously 4-5 times a week (spin class, core-board).

Any suggestions or personal experience would be appreciated. I am new to the site.

Replies

• pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Question first, if you don't mind. Do you eat back the exercise calories from your spin class? Like in addition to the 200-300 you occasionally go over? If not, your probably still under eating, even with the slightly higher days.

If you do, I wouldn't worry too much. You might not lose 2lbs a week, however, your body will be much happier to lose at a slightly lower rate, and is less likely to plateau down the road.

I used to eat 1200 a day, strict, no exercise, and it worked really well at first. Then I started cheating a bit (having a few drinks on the weekends, or some junk with my boyfriend) but as long as I kept exercising, I would still lose at the same rate.

After I got down about 10lbs, I hit a huge plateau, and after awhile of getting nowhere I decided to try p90x. I never actually followed the workout plan, but the nutrition plan has made a HUGE difference in the way I look at food. I've found, for me at least, where my calories come from is WAY more important than how many I eat. I can easily eat about 1800 a day, with treats a couple times a week, as long as its high protein, mod fat, low carb.

I don't know if that's the same for everyone, but I think you should just give yourself a few weeks, and if your still losing at a rate your happy with, stick with it. If not, you can always re-evaluate and try something else =)
  • jranderson22
    jranderson22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have trouble myself staying within my allotted calories too, particularly when I want to have a glass of wine with dinner, which satisfies me, but not in the way that cures my hunger.

I've lost about 15 pounds by using the daily calories as a guide that I sometimes go over (even though I always feel bad about it), but not being too nuts about sticking to it. I'm extra careful on the fat, and usually eat only half of my suggested amount, because I have high cholesterol.

But, if you're exercising that much I'd suggest being more flexible with yourself week-to-week and just staying within 10-15% of your targeted calories for the week (your per day amount x 7) if you can.

Best of luck,
    Josh
  • chelsinicole
    Options
    I am around your same weight, and i eat 1300 a day, sometimes more. I think this is okay for you to do, but try to stick to healthy foods and all that. I understand what you mean, Im starving too even after eating all my calories.
  • Angie789
    Angie789 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Giving the fact that you are pretty close to a healthy weight (if not there already - I don't know how tall you are), I don't think that it is reasonable to set your goals to lose 2 pounds a week. The closer you are to your goal weight, the slower it comes off. I would go back into MFP and reset your goals to 1 pound a week (or even 1/2 pound), and then eat at those calorie levels. It will give you more so that you aren't hungry all the time and have you losing at a rate that will be smart & sustainable for where you are.
  • cola4surf
    cola4surf Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi pkgirrl,

Yes, I definitely eat back the calories burned from exercise plus a couple hundred more. Since joining MFP and having to document my food intake, I have made much healthier choices. For example, even those extra calories are from eating wasa crackers with a veggies or two apples (sometimes cookies or beer too). This is why I am so glad to have found the site. I am making more of an effort to eat healthy and exercise more.

Thank you for the feedback!
  • cola4surf
    cola4surf Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Giving the fact that you are pretty close to a healthy weight (if not there already - I don't know how tall you are), I don't think that it is reasonable to set your goals to lose 2 pounds a week. The closer you are to your goal weight, the slower it comes off. I would go back into MFP and reset your goals to 1 pound a week (or even 1/2 pound), and then eat at those calorie levels. It will give you more so that you aren't hungry all the time and have you losing at a rate that will be smart & sustainable for where you are.

Ok, that is great advice, thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.