I WANT TO LEARN TO DANCE!

Options
'Learn to Dance' is just one item on the 'Bucket List' of things I want to achieve within the next year. (the whole list is posted on my profile) Having goals to reach for is one way I hope to keep motivated with this journey I am on; and to become a happier, more well-rounded person also. (Not physically, I want to be less rounded visually; more of a mental/personality reference hahaha)

I posted an add on kijiji in my area this morning asking for help with this. ( http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-community-classes-lessons-HELP-I-CANT-DANCE-W0QQAdIdZ438151750 )

The ad reads as follows:

"Hello!

I will start by saying I cannot dance. To keep my explanation as brief as I can; I have always wanted to learn, to try…. But I have never felt confident enough in myself to just go for it.

I was petrified of looking silly, of having no rhythm, and just not knowing what I was doing. When I was younger; I went to high school dances, and hid in the dark corners chatting with friends, I avoided the dance floor.

Fast forward to now, I am 27 years old and the desire to learn how to dance is still there. More of a regret I never tried is the way to put it. It is time to be brave and go for it, I suppose… but I do not know where to start. I am not really looking for classes in a structured dance form per-say… What I am looking for, is to be able to join in when/if I am at weddings, dances, parties…

I need help learning how to move my feet to keep with the music. I’ve never so much as had a slow-dance with a guy. I am tired of politely declining and making excuses.

I am looking for someone who may be able to help me learn…I would appreciate any advice or ideas you may have to offer. If you cannot help; I thank you for your time. "

So; while I wait for replies my glorious MFP'ers.... Any advice you can offer? Did you learn to dance after overcoming the fear/nervousness to do so? How did you do it? Any videos/websites you reccomend?

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Replies

• warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    BUMP - Anyone out there with any advice?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    all i can say is good for you for trying something new and outside your comfort zone.

i also have a bucket list. the link to it is in my profile: My Epic Quest: http://tinyurl.com/7ey2ylw
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Just do it! I've always wanted to learn how to tap, and I'm going to take classes at the community center spring semester. Always remember to give yourself time to learn, and that anyone who teaches you was once at the beginning stage just like you are now. HAVE FUN :flowerforyou: It seems people have forgotten how to do such a thing as "fun."
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    There are adult dance classes, at least here in Michigan. I started taking jazz and tap when I was in high school, quit for a number of years, and picked it back up in my 20s. They go at a slow pace and the recital is a lot of fun :)

If you are just talking about club dancing, that's so easy! Start off with something small like the Cupid Shuffle. There are several how-tos on Youtube. People tell me I am a great dancer but I just start moving my body. I'm not out to impress anyone when I go out, I just let the music move me. People are more worried about how they look, than how the person next to them does, so don't think everyone is staring at you, because most likely they are not. Turn on some tunes at home and start moving!! If anything, you will get a work out :) Also, check out the dance games for the Xbox Kinect like Dance Central and Just Dance. Lots of fun and you might learn some moves!
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The majority of the dances classes I've ver taken have been through my skating club (off-ice training), however I do know that where I live there's some city-run programs that teach dance of a variety of styles and genres (I took one a few years ago that was hip hop dancing). Sorry I'm not much more help, but by the sounds of it you're just looking for some sort of rhythm. Are there any dance studios around where you are? This I'm not 100% sure on, but I've heard of some giving private beginner lessons.

Sorry I'm not more help!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I started dance classes when I was three so dancing always came easy to me.

Can you find the beat of a song easily? Have you ever seen the movie Hitch with Will Smith? There is a scene where he is trying to teach Kevin James to dance. That is the easiest place to start. Step, touch to the beat. Then add head bop & arm movement. It's hard to explain in writing.

As for slow dancing, guys lead. You follow. Basically swaying to the beat. There really isn't much to it. Most people don't do waltzs and fox trots these days. Unless you are looking to do more ballroom dancing.

If you didn't get it yet... finding the beat is mas importante!

Good luck! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    If you don't do things you want to do because of what others may think or say, you will grow old with regrets and miss out on what might have been. Take a class, ask a friend for help, just do something.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and fat. Always wanted to dance but never did because I thought I'd be embarrassed. About 3 months ago I took a Zumba class and loved the feeling so much. You couldn't peel the smile off my face. The last 2 months I have been taking a Hip hop class, a belly dance class and a latin class. Most of my classmates are half my age, but who cares, they are fun to be with. It has changed me completely.

I am going to dance til the grave. Wish I had done it much sooner.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Just date a Latin man. He will show you how to dance lol
  • BoofGirl
    BoofGirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took dance lessons. Find a place that welcomes singles, so you'll be comfortable and you know they will have the class set up to match up partners -- typically where I go, the boys and girls line up facing each other, and practice the steps with several partners. So even couples change partners.

Take lessons like salsa or swing or cha cha -- those dances are great in social situations and you can then improvise when you are at a party. Some dance teachers teach a "free style" private lesson to help people who just want to dance at parties. You might have to look around for classes that work best for what you want!

Or, if you have friends who dance, see if they'll take you out dancing and show you the ropes!
  • jbriscoe9480
    jbriscoe9480 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and fat. Always wanted to dance but never did because I thought I'd be embarrassed. About 3 months ago I took a Zumba class and loved the feeling so much. You couldn't peel the smile off my face. The last 2 months I have been taking a Hip hop class, a belly dance class and a latin class. Most of my classmates are half my age, but who cares, they are fun to be with. It has changed me completely.

What gave you the courage to go to ther first class? I live very close to a recreation center that offers free Zumba classes but Im terrified to go. Everyone says its so fun but I am letting my fear get in the way.
  • jbriscoe9480
    jbriscoe9480 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

LOL not all of them know how to dance!!!
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options

love it
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

What gave you the courage to go to ther first class? I live very close to a recreation center that offers free Zumba classes but Im terrified to go. Everyone says its so fun but I am letting my fear get in the way.

My neighbor (bless her heart) came over one morning and said I needed to do something besides walk and swim. She dragged me to it. So grateful to her. She hated it tho.. Which is so funny.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone; for your replies and your support! It is true I havelet fear keep me from this goal for so long; I am looking into dance classes/studios that may offer me a little one-on-one time. I haven't really got any friends that interested in the dance idea, so this is one I have to do myself; for myself.... just like this 'healthy weight/healthy body' journey... it all comes down to your own effort. Thank you again, I appreciate all the comments! :)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm about as graceful as a rhinoserous, but I want to take swing dance lessons with my husband. Then we can show everybody up at the rockabilly shows. That is if I don't hurt him, haha.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone; for your replies and your support! It is true I havelet fear keep me from this goal for so long; I am looking into dance classes/studios that may offer me a little one-on-one time. I haven't really got any friends that interested in the dance idea, so this is one I have to do myself; for myself.... just like this 'healthy weight/healthy body' journey... it all comes down to your own effort. Thank you again, I appreciate all the comments! :)

Aside from formal dance classes, you can often get free line dancing lessons at a club that focuses on country music. Google "free dance lessons" and your city. Other style clubs also sometimes have free lessons to learn salsa or other types of dance. Search "dance" on your local meetup.com group. The dance games from Wii are fun to do too and you can learn some dance steps.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I think you are so brave. Even if I was at my proper weight and feeling hot, I'd still be afraid to shake what my momma gave me. I am taller than a lot of guys and I feel really uncomfortable dancing. If you have the confidence, I say "shake it baby!"

edit: I am going to take the Zumba class at my gym. I feel more comfortable with other chubbers.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I always loved to sing & dance as a kid, but never did either. Thought I wasn't good enough, when in actuality it was my own insecurity. Discovered in my 20's that I CAN sing & dance. As for the dancing, I would go to clubs with friends, they would pull me out on the floor & I just mimicked what they did. Eventually when guys started asking me, I would say yes. One time this guy literally wouldn't let me off the floor; he was an amazing dancer & was VERY easy to follow his lead!

Now I use youtube alot to learn new stuff & my daughter has some good moves too so I follow her lead. We love to randomly bust out in the middle of parking lots, the carport, wherever we hear the music! We wobble, we cupid shuffle, we macarena...whatever mood strikes us.

It's fun & once you start, you won't care who sees or if you look good to them. Like Nike says, JUST DO IT!!
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did rythmic gymnastice since I was 5 years old, fast foward 30 years with 2 boys I really miss that part of my life. I would love, love, love to start dancing again. I'm in NS also but in my area the only dance classe that I could find (.. other than zumba) was pole dancing, as tempting as it is.. not really want I have in mind. If I was in the city I wouldn't hesitate for a second and join a class. What if you look crazy doing it, who care, enjoy yourself and go for it!