Any suggestions for food which may help boost my metabolism?

Options
2»

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    But the whole idea that you should eat a bunch of hot sauce or lemons or (insert food here) isn't really substantial.

however, hot sauce and lemons are tasty, and totally fit my macros. :love: :laugh:
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Just eat right, exercise and take a vitamin.
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there's any individual food that's going to have any significant thermic effect. Your best bet is to eat a reasonably protein dense diet, get lots of whole and nutrient dense foods in your diet, eat the appropriate total calories for your goals and do some resistance training.

But the whole idea that you should eat a bunch of hot sauce or lemons or (insert food here) isn't really substantial.
    THIS. There is so much BS out there from "gurus" who claim "fat burning" and "high metabolism" foods or eating a "timed" way is the way to go.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Quoting for truth.

OP, it seems like that you're grasping at straws here since you were told on another thread that the diet/meal replacement "superdrug" shakes you were using weren't going to be any more effective than a healthy diet. So, now, you want miracle foods because a miracle product isn't going to work? There's no reason for any of this - you just need to moderate your intake, make decent choices, and allow yourself to indulge in some of the things you want. And be willing to lose weight slowly. Making a life style change is what makes the weight loss sustainable. You're young, so it's hard to see the big picture....but wouldn't you rather lose the weight and keep it off rather than having to diet every year for the next decade or two?

^^^^ THIS!!! Sounds like OP is looking for a miracle food or something to consume lots of that promotes weight loss. If this existed then MFP wouldn't need to exist and no-one would be looking to lose weight!
    Work out a reasonable deficit and exercise. It takes time but changing your lifestyle is infinitely more beneficial than fad diets or 'miracle' products/meal replacement shakes. Keep going :)
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    All food, in general, contributes to your metabolic rate in the sense that you need to be fueling your body. So whether you decide to go the green tea-lemon juice-cayenne pepper-hide the remote under the couch-way, just make sure you're eating enough.
  • drinkhorn2
    drinkhorn2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    from wh i read you can eat sweet potatoes, they are real healthy and help to boost your motab.also pumplin seads, ( but be careful how much you eat) avacasos, and all fruits and vegs are good. I also read whole wheat breads are really not that good it can even hinder the weight loss. you need to read ingredients many times they have high fruitose corn syrup and sugars. do investigating on line but don't beleive everything they say use your common sence
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Exercise.

Build muscle.

Both help with metabolism.

my apologies, I didn't notice that the topic was directly looking for specific foods to help boost metabolism.

found this on the web:
    Some foods take more work to eat—and therefore burn more calories while you're digesting them. Just the act of chewing foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean cuts of meat can increase your calorie burn by up to 30%! And then your stomach and intestines do their jobs. In a Japanese study, researchers found that women who ate the foods that required the most work had significantly slimmer waistlines than those who ate the softest, easiest-to-eat foods. The fiber and protein in such foods take so much effort to digest that your body doesn't absorb some of their calories.

Still other calories from sources you might never consider--that are so easy to add to your meals!--can give you an even bigger burn. Caffeine and other compounds in coffee, tea, and spices such as chiles, cinnamon, and ginger fire up your central nervous system and can boost your metabolism by as much as 12%.

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/foods-boosting-metabolism#ixzz2ENoWmm4c

I still think, however, that your best bet is to increase muscle tone and exercise.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Green tea!

THIS ^^^^
  • nusheenh
    Options
    I don't believe there's any individual food that's going to have any significant thermic effect. Your best bet is to eat a reasonably protein dense diet, get lots of whole and nutrient dense foods in your diet, eat the appropriate total calories for your goals and do some resistance training.

THIS. There is so much BS out there from "gurus" who claim "fat burning" and "high metabolism" foods or eating a "timed" way is the way to go.

IDEA Fitness member

Quoting for truth.

OP, it seems like that you're grasping at straws here since you were told on another thread that the diet/meal replacement "superdrug" shakes you were using weren't going to be any more effective than a healthy diet. So, now, you want miracle foods because a miracle product isn't going to work? There's no reason for any of this - you just need to moderate your intake, make decent choices, and allow yourself to indulge in some of the things you want. And be willing to lose weight slowly. Making a life style change is what makes the weight loss sustainable. You're young, so it's hard to see the big picture....but wouldn't you rather lose the weight and keep it off rather than having to diet every year for the next decade or two?

Your comment is quite annoying. Firsty, ive had a very slow metabolism for a long time and i was just wondering? its nothing releated to wanting to lose weight quickly OR the superdrug shakes. I dont think they're a miracle product and nor was i looking for a miracle food. I was genuinly asking for some tips for a problem. If you want to go talk about them go back to the other thread about the shakes and write your problem there. Just because im young you dont need to make assumptions of what im like or what i know, and yes i would rather lose it slowly. Im able to take peoples advice and criticism but it feels like your trying to make me look like im dumb. i rather you not even reply to this because im not going to read it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Quoting for truth.

Your comment is quite annoying. Firsty, ive had a very slow metabolism for a long time and i was just wondering? its nothing releated to wanting to lose weight quickly OR the superdrug shakes. I dont think they're a miracle product and nor was i looking for a miracle food. I was genuinly asking for some tips for a problem. If you want to go talk about them go back to the other thread about the shakes and write your problem there. Just because im young you dont need to make assumptions of what im like or what i know, and yes i would rather lose it slowly. Im able to take peoples advice and criticism but it feels like your trying to make me look like im dumb. i rather you not even reply to this because im not going to read it.

Once you cool off I would recommend you still go back to her post and read it. I know you didn't like some of it but she gave you good advice and you'd be doing yourself a disservice by ignoring it.