New to swimming for exercise

Options
mlv333
mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
I'm going to attempt to swim laps at my gym tomorrow evening, and I'm not exactly sure what to expect from myself. My normal workout is running 2 miles, hiking, or bike riding until my legs are jelly. I've always swam leisurely. Should I swim for 30 minutes??? Should I swim for X amount of laps??? I guess my question is what is a work out in the pool?

Replies

• mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my first 40lbs lost with swimming. During latin aerobics I burn about 420 calories for 60 min. Swimming laps moderately for 60 min I burn over 600 calories
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I just swam for about 20 minutes. I wanted to take it easy for my first time. Every time after this will be 60 minutes.
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Have you tried water aerobics? Im going to try that tommorrow. I have never done this before but im going with a girlfriend who is trying it and she likes it. She said when she was finished her legs felt rubbery. I know this does not compare to swimming laps but every bit of exercise counts.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I seem to get my best toning and weight loss when I am swimming. I usually do 30 minutes of the eliptical and then 30 minutes of swimming. If i have done weight lifting that day I might only swim 20 minutes.

good for you!! Enjoy!

DD