Beer Lovers Unite

Options
I ♥ beer. Let me rephrase that...I ♥ GOOD beer. I ♥ to go to beer tastings. I ♥ to do brewery tours. Anyone else on this weight loss journey while trying to fit in their love of a frothy brew? What's your beer of choice?

Replies

• AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a few favourites, but these will get me every time:

Saltaire Triple Chocoholic
    Wychwood Hobgoblin
  • spoons81
    spoons81 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love beer, too! I refuse to drink low calorie light beer due to the fact that I hate the taste. I love a good ale or a stout. I recently found out that 12 ounces of Guinness only has 124 calories!! "A study by the University of Wisconsin found that drinking Guinness can reduce blood clots and the risk of heart attack. Guinness contains antioxidants like those found in red wine and dark chocolate, which are not found in other beers" It also has a small dose of iron in it. And it's DELICIOUS!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love a good IPA, but I got to be honest with you, weight loss and "good" beer to not go well together. I limited my beer consumption significantly during my loss period.
  • Fr33zefram3
    Fr33zefram3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do love beer, and winter is definitely the worst for me. My favorites are porters and stouts, 'Tis the season.

My favorite would have to be a Troegs Mad Elf, though I do love anything from that brewery. The only IPA I'll drink is the Dogfishhead 60 minute, just can't stand them otherwise. A good Hefeweizen can always get me. As far as non-microbrews I'd have to say I stick with a Guiness or a Smithwick's when I'm at a sports bar.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    BEER?
    vybh4o.jpg

But really... yes, I am a big fan of GOOD, craft beer. My fiance and I do beer tastings all the time, did a "beer tour" vacation in May, and the theme of our wedding is pretty much craft beer...

I've been into Tommy Knocker Brown, lately, and some local sour browns in Metro Detroit: Traffic Jam Sour Brown, for instance, and Copper Canyon Brown Ale. My beer tastes are right proper seasonal. I think I'd say my all time favorite beers though, are local to me in Michigan: Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, Dragonmeade Juggernaut, and Jolly Pumpkin Io always tend to make me drool.
  • Stasiasaurus
    Stasiasaurus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Starr Hill The Love, Magic Hat #9, and Delirium Tremens are particular favorites, and I'm a sucker for a chocolate stout. I'm willing to try anything Dogfish Head does at least once, just for the experience.
  • firstsip
    Options
    I love a good IPA, but I got to be honest with you, weight loss and "good" beer to not go well together. I limited my beer consumption significantly during my loss period.

I see this quite a bit, and I think it really depends on what kind of drinker you are/were. I drink craft 1-2 times a week, that's usually 1-2 beers (or samples of various ones). I fit it into my macros and calories and it hasn't hindered me at all.

If you were a 2-3 beer drinker everyday prior to weight loss... yeah, that would be a hindrance.
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    It's totally possible in moderation. It saddened me to learn that the hoppier the beer - typically - the higher the calorie count. A Bells Hopslam is close to 300 cals. But hey...in moderation, it's all possible.
  • firstsip
    Options
    It's totally possible in moderation. It saddened me to learn that the hoppier the beer - typically - the higher the calorie count. A Bells Hopslam is close to 300 cals. But hey...in moderation, it's all possible.

Yup! And the earlier poster mentioned health benefits of Guinness... but really, craft beer has a higher amount of antioxidants, B vitamins, and whole grain, especially if unfiltered.

It's in moderation... but it's not quite empty calories, either :P
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    If only beer had no calories...the world would be perfect.

Okay, maybe not...but one can dream, right?
  • ukstarlight05
    Options
    I am really loving the new Leinenkugels Snowdrift Vanilla Porter, it's super yummy :) And Wells Bombardier, omg it's AMAZING!! Very difficult to find, I'm lucky enough to live a few blocks from a British pub and the guys have it shipped over from England.
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    All the good beers i like are loaded with carbs, that kills my weightloss. Drank a sixer of brooklyn lager last night and when i put it ino MFP i wanted to jump off a bridge.
  • peggebrecht
    peggebrecht Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I will occasionally have beer, but I make it count when I do. I recently went to a fall festival in Ferndale, MI that had a large variety of great beers on tap, including a pumpkin ale (one of my favorites) and others. Then there was the October Fest that served Haufbrau straight from Germany...
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Me and my BFF are total beer snobs. We love micro brews and imports mostly ~ XoXo
  • heatherweber87
    heatherweber87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I <3 beer! Unfortunately with trying to lose the weight I am not drinking it, maybe having a sip of my husbands, but gosh I do miss having my own glass. I really love Belgian triple or dubbels! So Delicious! Ovila and Chimay, Victory Golden Monkey but I also love microbrews we have a few here in town with some awesome selections, why must beer be so many calories!?? :(
  • heatherweber87
    heatherweber87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    All the good beers i like are loaded with carbs, that kills my weightloss. Drank a sixer of brooklyn lager last night and when i put it ino MFP i wanted to jump off a bridge.

it seriously does suck!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Monk in the Trunk--wish it were available in more places than just Florida. Had it on vaca, and it was the best beer I ever had.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like beer. I actually have 5 gallons of a Belgian wheat blend fermenting in my closet right now. I gotta wait about another 5 days to bottle it.
  • TCondor
    Options
    Beer how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I too enjoy the juice of the hops and barley and am especially a fan of IPAs. In fact I have devoted much of my life to beer as a home brewer and guest brewer at our local brewpub as well as working at many beer shows pouring samples for my brother and sister craft brew lovers.

Favorite breweries are Watch City (our local pub in Waltham MA), Stone, People's Pint, Troegs and (with a special place in my heart) Yuengling.

In fact I just found a Real Ale group on here and I think everyone who enjoys a good brew should "hop" over and sign up. See you there!

<singing)
    He must have been an admiral a sultan or a king,
    and to his praises we shall always sing.
    Look what he has done for us he's filled us up with cheer!
    Lord bless Charlie Mops, the man who invented beer beer beer
    tiddly beer beer beer.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options

it seriously does suck!

+1

Loving the Lagunitas IPAs lately.