syrup

Options
meganwojo
meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
I always have used sugar free Aunt Jemima syrup. I made pancakes this morning and browsed at the regular aunt Jemima that my husband uses. IT IS RIDICULOUS! 1/4 cup of sugar free syrup has 20 calories...1/4 regular syrup has 200!! I didn't even look at the sugars..but the calories say enough. I cant even taste a difference from regular to the sugar free. I think ill save my 200 calories for something more filling and nutritious than a topping for a pancake haha.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yep. The genuine maple syrup I have at home is 210 calories for I think 2 tbsp. :(
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    oh gosh..haha you win!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Oh I do Sugar Free all the way! I'm a meanie and make everyone in this house use it! My hubby is so good to me :smooched:
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    yes i agree- totally not worth the calories. i like smucker's blueberry sugar free syrup. its not only yummy on pancakes, but rice cakes and oatmeal as well :happy:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Aunt Jemima's syrups are all HFCS-no actual maple syrup in there at all- no matter what version it is.
    Read the ingredients and you might be suprised. The real thing is always better anyway.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    My dad always used to make blueberry pancakes when I got over a stomach flu, (ever seen an 8 year old out eat her age lol? )
    and I hated maple syrup so he always dusted icing sugar on them instead. Not sure if this is really an improvement, but now that I'm older I find as long as I put something in the pancakes (chocolate chips anyone?) And add a little extra olive oil and baking soda, they turn out super fluffy like a flattened muffin, and don't really need anything at all
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    great substitute is a couple of strawberries in a food processor, add a tiny bit of water to thin it out, and maybe a single packet of splenda (or some such), still a little high in sugar, but no where near regular syrup, and gives you a lot of vitamins from the strawberries (and anti-oxidants), it's one of the few times I suggest liquefying my fruit (as liquidation destroys much of the fiber in fruits) over eating fruit whole, it's just not the same eating pancakes (whole wheat pancakes I hope!) with solid fruit.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that blending fruits affected the fiber content! Thanks! I learn something new every day!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    great substitute is a couple of strawberries in a food processor, add a tiny bit of water to thin it out, and maybe a single packet of splenda (or some such), still a little high in sugar, but no where near regular syrup, and gives you a lot of vitamins from the strawberries (and anti-oxidants), it's one of the few times I suggest liquefying my fruit (as liquidation destroys much of the fiber in fruits) over eating fruit whole, it's just not the same eating pancakes (whole wheat pancakes I hope!) with solid fruit.

Oooh...I bet this would work great with mangos as well. Thanks for the idea, yum. (and not only are my pancakes whole wheat...I also prefer to add flax or use spelt flour instead of whole wheat-more nutty tasting).
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that blending fruits affected the fiber content! Thanks! I learn something new every day!

think about it, fiber is indigestable, and the reason why it is so helpful is because the body can't break it down, so it's harder for the enzymes in the intestines to get at the nutrients to break them down and carry them off. Break up the fiber, and you make it easier for the body to digest things. Here's the important part, when sugar is easy to get at, it enters the blood stream much faster. This is why (for example) apple juice is so much worse than eating an apple, even if you drank the equivalent amount of sugar that you would eat. Because it takes a while for all the sugar in that apple to be digested, where as the sugar in the juice is broken down much faster.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I make protein pancakes and eat them plane. But for my kids I top them with light cream cheese and fresh cut strawberries and bananas. (I've never liked syrup)
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options

I am so excited to try this! I've been craving pancakes too and haven't had them in forever. Yum! Thanks for the idea :flowerforyou:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I don't use syrups anymore unless they're 100% real and natural. They all have chemicals and HFCS in them. Except....Log Cabin recently came out with a Lite Syrup that does not have HFCS in it...yay!

Real syrup is 200 calories for 2 tbsp, so yes...I don't get to have it very often. But I still believe it's better than ingesting lab produced stuff. Very personal preference, of course :flowerforyou:
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options

think about it, fiber is indigestable, and the reason why it is so helpful is because the body can't break it down, so it's harder for the enzymes in the intestines to get at the nutrients to break them down and carry them off. Break up the fiber, and you make it easier for the body to digest things. Here's the important part, when sugar is easy to get at, it enters the blood stream much faster. This is why (for example) apple juice is so much worse than eating an apple, even if you drank the equivalent amount of sugar that you would eat. Because it takes a while for all the sugar in that apple to be digested, where as the sugar in the juice is broken down much faster.

That makes perfect sense, and I guess i've never taken the time to think about it, so thanks for explaining. I never drink juice because I know it's not the healthy way to get nutrients and would rather eat my fruit anyway, but I love having the"why".
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,668 Member
    Options
    I like the Aunt Jemima Butter Light syrup. I realize there are probably healthier options, but I have a pancake once a week at most, and I use 3 tablespoons (75 calories) of this on my pancake.

By the way, the regular Aunt Jemima syrup is 210 calories for a 1/4 cup serving, which is 4 tablespoons, not 2.
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just posted a topic called yogurt on pancakes. I use fiber one yogurt and fresh fruit on my pancakes instead of syrup. People at work thought it looked nasty until they noticed my weight loss. Fiber one yogurt only has 50 cals. Works for me. I had to have something because i no longer use butter or syrup and i luv it!! Yes i only eat whole wheat pancakes.