Does spaghetti squash taste like pasta?

Options

Replies

• keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Nope, tastes like squash. If you don't like squash then you probably won't like it.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really has a flavor personally and kind of takes on whatever you are doing with it. I love it! I use it in chicken parm and in asian dishes. it just sucks up the flavor.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It does not taste like other squash..like pumpkin or butternut...

i use it in place of pasta and top with marinara sauce and I love it! It has a slightly nutty flavor to me. The only thing I DONT like about it is it is hard to cut in half to cook!

Microwave it for about four minutes first then cut it in half. WAY EASIER!
  • deadbambi
    Options
    Mmm Spaghetti squash is so good and nutty and unff :love:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's called a spaghetti squash because the flesh inside comes out in long strings like spaghetti. It has the taste and consistency of a zucchini or other summer squash.
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's quite tasty, but doesn't take like or have the texture of pasta. It is really good with pasta red sauce though! :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't taste like pasta, but it tastes good, and is an excellent substitute for pasta...... and is so much better for you! I eat it all the time!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    No, it's better. Does pasta really have taste? It has absolutely no flavor at all to me. All I taste is meat and sauce and herbs and spices. I LOVE my SS Spaghetti.
    Over broccoli is amazing, too.
    Or over sauteed colorful bell peppers and onions...
    Sometimes I even have NS Spaghetti. No spaghetti spaghetti. Just meat and sauce.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

i use it in place of pasta and top with marinara sauce and I love it! It has a slightly nutty flavor to me. The only thing I DONT like about it is it is hard to cut in half to cook!

Lol. I thought I was the only one who had that problem. I always get the biggest knife in the kitchen and just stab it through the middle and start sawing
  • vinnyvej
    vinnyvej Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not at all, but is a good, tasty alternative to the high caloric pasta.
  • KathyRed07
    Options
    I make the spaghetti squash and add a homemade red sauce w/the works!!! Its really good!! Its LIKE eating a big bowl of pasta, but it doesn`t TASTE like pasta....I add ground turkey, mushrooms, onions, zucc, broccoli, some parm cheese...its delish!! And its even better the 2nd day!
  • Bloodredmoon
    Bloodredmoon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No, it definitely does not taste like pasta but it is a great substitute. It doesn't taste like most other squash, it has a different texture. It can be really great if you doctor it up right. I love to make it pomodoro style with lots of fresh basil, organic tomato (in season is best!) & olive oil and garlic. Plus, since it is only 42 calories per cup you can afford to add extras like Parmesan cheese and a good Italian sausage or meatball. I'm going to try out a desert recipe with it soon, I'll post it if it comes out well. I'm thinking a mock pumpkin pie :)
  • perficktangel
    perficktangel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't find that it tastes anything like pasta. I've had it a few times, from 2 different people. I find it crunchy & that ruins it for me. I love most veggies, including squash. But if I want something like pasta & marinara, I don't want it crunchy. I would rather slice yellow or zucchini squash in thin ribbons & cook it or cut it in skinny long strips like pasta & cook it. That gets soft. But if you don't like squash, then you won't wanna do that. However, I have a friend who doesn't like zucchini, but liked it when I put it with marinara & meatballs. It won't hurt to try the spaghetti squash, though, just to see if you like it. It doesn't taste like regular squash.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty certain the name came from the appearance not the taste... looks like spaghetti but taste like squash....
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Microwave it for about four minutes first then cut it in half. WAY EASIER!

If you poke holes in it you can cook it whole, either in the microwave or the oven. Just be very careful when you cut it open at the end as, even with the holes, there will be steam escaping as you cut into it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Someone put a post about how they really liked spaghetti squash and how it tasted really good, but I'm not a big fan of squash, does it taste like squash when you mix it with stuff? Just curious :D

It tastes like squash, NOT pasta.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love using spaghetti squash instead of pasta. It does not have a strong squash flavor, so by the time you put sauce on it, you really don't notice any particular taste. It is a tad crunchier than pasta, but it makes a good base for sauce. I do make a meat sauce, so I have a nice meal, full of protein and vegies.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Agree about the cutting of the whole squash, that is why I don't make it very often. I like the taste but in my opinion is not worthy the work. I have to ask my husband to cut it for me because the last time that I tried, I almost cut my fingers. I wish I could find spaghetti squash already cut in the market.

I do eat lots of butternut squash (already cubed), and I mix my whole grain pasta, which I don't make too often either, with saute spinach, zucchini, kale, turnip greens, etc.. I use less pasta and I add more veggies.

I would ask the produce section or salad bar department at your local grocery store. They will cut it in half for you real fast!
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't taste like pasta. It is delicious though. If you put it with sauce it is very tasty. Add some chicken sausage and it is amazing!!! Add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese too.
    As far as cutting it, it is very difficult, almost impossible so I tried someones idea of microwaving it. Much easier & faster! Poke holes in each side of it then microwave on high, flip, then another 6 minutes. Hot to deal with but it well then cut like butter.
  • Momto32010
    Momto32010 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste like pasta, and I really don't care for it with marinara sauce. I do love it best as a replacement for rice in Indian curry dishes...YUM!