need some running advice!

Options
rnd789
rnd789 Posts: 50 Member
I am pretty much completely new to the whole running thing - not that I don't ever jog for exercise (however it's a very small amount comparatively), but I have this really strong desire to get to a point where I can run in 5ks, 10ks, etc. I think that would be such an amazing experience, but I need some advice on how to make that happen!
Do I just slowly increase the distance that I'm running? Do I try to increase speed? (I hope it's not the latter.. ha)

I would appreciate any words of wisdom
: )

Replies

• shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    Look at www.coolrunning.com. It has a couch to 5k program that shows you how to incorporate running into a routine.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Check out Couch to 5k! I am doing it now and love it. I was also completely new to running, too. I know several people who have successfully completed the program.
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you have never ran , consistently - I recommend you look at theGalloway program. It is a great beginner program and will assist you with a proper training plan. if you think you are going to be a runner overnight you 1) run the risk of injurying yourself 2) will get discouraged and stop. I started with the intention to "run" almost three years ago. I started walking, and then increased to a run/walk program. I run 1/2 marathons with a consistent 5:1 plan ( run 5min - walk 1min) Slow and steady ......
    You can also check runnersworld.com They have schedules for all levels and all kinds of programs. Slow and steady girl.....
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I started walking/jogging in June and ran my first 5K in November. I gradually added in more jogging with my walking so I eventually was only jogging. I then starting increasing my distance. I'm still working on speed. I figure that if I run more and more, then my speed will naturally increase. I'm running my second 5K next Saturday and a 10K in June.

It's such a nice feeling doing a race, as you feel very accomplished when you're done.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K! That is the best program. :)
  • biokim17
    biokim17 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The programs the others listed are very good programs for starting to run. The biggest thing I would emphasize is STRETCH!!! I can't stress that enough. I ran short distances (1-2 miles) for a few years before I started trying to train for a half marathon. And I injured my foot pretty bad by not stretching. Now I stretch everyday, whether I will be running or not. Also, my husband bought me a book that has been FANTASTIC. It is called "Absolute Beginner's Guide to Half-Marathon Training; Get Ready to Run or Walk a 5K, 10K, or Half Marathon" by Heather Hedrick. It is sponsored by NIFS (National Institute for Fitness and Sport. Here is the amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Beginners-Guide-Half-Marathon-Training/dp/0789733145/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269653149&sr=8-1

I only wish I had read it before i had started running! Best of luck, I am loving my half marathon training, and I am sure you will love your training too.
  • jdurham87
    jdurham87 Posts: 62
    Options
    couch to 5k couch to 5k!!! ditooooo. I just started it.
  • aliciamille
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, finding a training plan for beginner runners is an excellent idea. Also, I dont know if this has been said previously but it's good to set goals!

Like if you see a 5k thats two months away, sign up! It will motivate you to run...then pick a training plan online that will get you ready to complete a 5k in two months. That's just an example. Once you find out that you can tackle a 5k in no problem (which I'm sure you will be able to), set your sights higher and higher! Maybe in 5 months you can do a 10k! Maybe next year a half marathon! Just believe in yourself

For me, I'm always looking ahead to races to keep myself running all the time. When I would get out of shape and want to get back INTO shape, I just run as many times as it takes for it to get easier. First it was twice a week, then three times, then every other day! I promise it will get easier :smile:
  • rnd789
    Options
    Thank you SO much to all these suggestions - I will definitely check out a beginners-type program. (Couch to 5k obviously seems to be a popular one!)

thank you for the encouragement too - it seems a lot of the battle is believing I can do it
    : )
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Just another plug for Couch to 5k... I started it in June, ran my first 5k in August, have run another 5k since, and will run a quarter marathon next weekend- only 9 months since the days I first ran... you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5K! If you decide to do it there are also a bunch of podcasts you can download that go along with it -- different kinds of music with the run/walk cues narrated in, so you don't have to be constantly staring at your watch. OR if you have an iTouch there are applications you can download that will give you the run/walk cues over your own music. Feel free to message me if you decide to do the program and want to check out any of the podcasts -- I did it back in September and I found a bunch of them. I'd just have to dig through my email. :)
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Run Less, Run Faster. Well its not free like most the other stuff but sometimes you get what you pay for. Get the book, it is the F.I.R.S.T. running program developed by Furman University Running Institute. I started FIRST 3 months ago and my first run was 1 mile in 11mins. Yesterday I ran my first 10k and my average pace was 9'35"/mile. I have also went from 225 to 195 in that period of time. By my 1/2 marathon in mid November I should be 165lbs and my goal is under 2'00' for the half. Not so bad for 3 months running and the FIRST program emphasizes cross training. So I still get in my weights, yoga, and cycling. Now that is having your cake and eating it too! http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm is a good taste of the free programs they have published online.
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is fantastic! Even more so if you have an iPhone and can use the app to prompt you to change from walking to running etc over the music of your choice. I am a guy that's had an aversion for running since I can remember was always rubbish at it and chose to cycle instead, I'm now on wk 5 of c25k and seeing real improvements! The only criticism of the app is that although it provides a warm up and warm down it doesn't really provide stretching instructions, which you might get away with for the first couple of weeks but will catch you eventually, so whatever method you use remember to stretch before but especially after :0)
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, Dunkin' Donuts has a 5k running program on their website.
    "This beginner’s running training plan was developed by a professional coach from Active.com. Active.com is the premiere
    online network for running enthusiasts."

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/BreakfastChoices/5k_race_helps_you.aspx
  • ldarter
    ldarter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The C25K is a progressive run/walk program and is a good program for beginners but in your post it sounds like you have already been jogging some. So if you are looking more for more of a straight 5K or 10K program check out www.halhigdon.com. He has training plans for all distances from 5K to marathons. I've used his plans for all distances in the past and they are very effective.

There is also tons of training information and running programs available at www.runnersworld.com (Runner's World Magazine's website).
  • rnd789
    Options
    I think I'm going to start the Couch to 5K program on Monday, and I'm super intimidated, but excited!
    Thank you for all the advice!
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    i started running about 5 months ago and i just made up my own program. i ran until i couldnt run anymore, then id walk and run again. at least 6 days/week. i started doing some short sprints (at fast as i possibly could for 100-150ft then walk for a few minutes and repeat), i ran outside and on the treadmill, i mixed it up but always pushed myself a little faster, farther, inclines, etc. i ran many 5k's now and got under 2 hours on my 1st 1/2 marathon last month. im not one to follow a program, so there are many ways to get to the same result. good luck with your running, you can do it.