lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief it's 1.
    No it's not. 3x0 = 0 so it's 7 - 4 +0 +1 = 3 + 0 +1 = 3 + 1 = 4

^^^I was always horrible at algebra so this makes no sense to me at all. My co-worker used a calculator & got 4. I used old fashioned math & did the problem from left to right & I got 1. I guess it depends which way you were taught.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Oh good grief it's 1.

^^^I was always horrible at algebra so this makes no sense to me at all. My co-worker used a calculator & got 4. I used old fashioned math & did the problem from left to right & I got 1. I guess it depends which way you were taught.

Math is all the same. That's the "magic" of math. It's the same in every language, no matter who teaches it. The rules are all the same. Calculators are programmed to use order of operations, therefore the calculator is right.
  • alvalaurie
    Options
    Oh good grief it's 1.

Math is all the same. That's the "magic" of math. It's the same in every language, no matter who teaches it. The rules are all the same. Calculators are programmed to use order of operations, therefore the calculator is right.

***hangs head in shame & walks away from thread***
  • lwagnitz
    Options

***hangs head in shame & walks away from thread***

lol awww. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    At least now you know! :)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It's 4.

Multiplication and Division equations are always done before addition and subtraction.

Unless it was written like this:

(7-4+3)X0+1

Brackets/Parentheses outrank multiplication and division any day.

The answer to the question above would be 1.
  • alvalaurie
    Options
    I feel bad for the people who post an answer and get it wrong.

I think you jinxed me! I'll be forever known on MFP as "that dumb old lady who couldn't solve a simple equation".
  • alvalaurie
    Options
    I feel bad for the people who post an answer and get it wrong.

This. Though I can refer back to it when deciding on whether or not to accept future friend requests.

***thinks to self, rememebr not to send her a friend request.....***
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was always terrible at math in school. However, I did get 4. I just remembered order of operations. Go, me! :happy:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I suck at math, so I didn't even attempt it. I knew I'd get it wrong.
  • kscalish
    Options
    That was easy....4....now ask me who the 13th president was...and we have a problem. I think everyone has their strengths and weaknessess
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    That was easy....4....now ask me who the 13th president was...and we have a problem. I think everyone has their strengths and weaknessess

Lol touche. But it's Millard Fillmore ;)
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief it's 1.

Haha I said the answer is 1 as soon as I saw it. I assumed that the 3x0 part wouldn't be thought of as zero unless it was in parenthesis.
    Like 7 - 4 + (3 x 0) + 1 <--- That to me, reads as 7 - 4 + 0 + 1 which equals 4.
    When I read the equation as it was posted, I see anything before the zero as irrelevant, since anything multiplied by zero equals zero.

But math was never my strong suit.... My mom was the Math major. hahaha
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

Haha I said the answer is 1 as soon as I saw it. I assumed that the 3x0 part wouldn't be thought of as zero unless it was in parenthesis.
    Like 7 - 4 + (3 x 0) + 1 <--- That to me, reads as 7 - 4 + 0 + 1 which equals 4.
    When I read the equation as it was posted, I see anything before the zero as irrelevant, since anything multiplied by zero equals zero.

But math was never my strong suit.... My mom was the Math major. hahaha

Parenthesis first...which you are correct. Then multiplication or division (from left to right). Then subtraction and/or addition.

But there just wasn't the parenthesis in this one.
  • jb152498432156
    Options
    Oh good grief it's 1.

In "Order of Operations" Multiplication/Division comes before Addition/Subtraction, so it kind of is like it's in parenthesis, since you do it first.
  • thebowhunter
    Options
    Would have been proper to include the ( and ) and I think some would not have gotten it wrong. They were sort of set up to fail but should have known about the order of operation.

I have a question, can somebody write the numerical representation of eleven, hundred, thousand?:bigsmile:
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Would have been proper to include the ( and ) and I think some would not have gotten it wrong. They were sort of set up to fail but should have known about the order of operation.

I have a question, can somebody write the numerical representation of eleven, hundred, thousand?:bigsmile:

The "and" what? lol. How were they set up to fail? I guess a lot of teachers set students up to fail.

Wait.
    I think they do
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

The "and" what? lol. How were they set up to fail? I guess a lot of teachers set students up to fail.

Wait.
    I think they do

bowhunter meant the open and close parentheses.

There's a reason I had to take remedial math in college... hahaha

But I was also taking advanced English courses at the same time. We all have our strengths and weaknesses... :wink:
  • exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    People, People...

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

Parentheses
    Exponents
    Multiplication/Division (in the order they appear)
    Addition/Subtraction (in the order they appear)
  • lwagnitz
    Options

Wait.
    I think they do

bowhunter meant the open and close parentheses.

There's a reason I had to take remedial math in college... hahaha

But I was also taking advanced English courses at the same time. We all have our strengths and weaknesses... :wink:
    \
    Ohhh *face palm* Because it doesn't need to be there, silly.

And yes, that's very true. I SUCK at creative writing. It's the death of me. Math isn't exactly my strongest subject either. Don't mess with me in social studies and science though ;)