If you could do anything over in your life, would you?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My only regret was taking out student loans. I should have just gotten a job and saved up money instead of going to college.
  • Kdj535
    Options
    Ten years ago in my twenties I always said I had no regrets even though I had made mistakes. Now, in my thirties...well if I had known how it would end I definitely would have changed some things. I could never regret the feelings and love I had shared, but I regret how others may have been hurt by me. We can be so selfish and stupid when we're young.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Yes, I would have taken the $10,000 spent towards college and invested it in Microsoft when it was just a start up.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt have waited so long to decide to get healthy! I would have been there all along. :wink:
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    In retrospect, I wouldn't have changed anything. My life is fan-freakin-tastic now.

Generally, I would have respected and loved myself a little bit more in my younger years. However, I never would've grown into the person I am now or found the drive to change everything without that negativity. I just wish I felt as confident then as I do now.

This was a good post. It's important to humble ourselves and remember every path may not be the right one but it leads you to the right place. :heart:
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    25 years ago while drinking and driving... I wouldn't have flipped off the kids after I ran over their German sheppard...
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Absolutely on a couple of things, there is one or two others that in some ways I would kill to be able to go back and yet at the same time I'd be missing out on my greatest joys if I did....good thing that option isn't available! :)
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I would have stayed in state, instead of going to an out of state private college.

Here's my paycheck, student loans, you may take it all!
    "I feel your pain," Bill Clinton...
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know. I mean, if I had never married my first husband, who was (well, still is) an abuser, I would not have my two kids. I would not have developed the strength of character and spiritual perspective I gained from surviving that horrible marriage. I might not even have appreciated how marvelous my current/final husband is when I met him, if I hadn't come through that ordeal and learned what was really important in a life mate. Would I want to go through any of that mess over again, though? Hell no!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    1) Wouldn't have been such a chicken about telling my first love how I really felt about him.
    2) Wouldn't have worried so much about whether or not certain people liked me in high school and I would've spent more time on the relationships with people who accepted me as I was.
    3) Would have done more for my mom when I was still living at home (I didn't realize at the time how depressed she was).
    4) Definitely would not have married my ex.
    5) Would have been more careful about what I ate and would have made sure I got in more activitiy every day.
    6) Would have fought harder to find a way to go to college right out of high school.
    7) In general, I would have been bolder and taken more chances to make my dreams a reality.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Only one thing for me!

When the boy I liked made a pass at me I wish I had had the confidence to notice that he meant it and started a relationship with him then. So much in my life and his would then have never happened! True, I may have lost him in Afghanistan or Iraq as all he wanted to be was a soldier and he would not have had the accident that cost him his career but I wouldn't have had to wait 8 years to find him again and finally be with him either! The last 4 1/2 years have been the best of my life and if I were to lose him tomorrow I would still be glad that I had been with him for the time we had! I just wish that we hadn't wasted all that time while we were younger.

Of course, having said that; he admits that he was a total jerk when he was younger and he probably would've screwed it up! Lol!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    No Regrets! Nope, I refuse to turn into my grandmother. She is always agonizing over her regrets and I just want to shake her and tell her to deal with it. Because by 87 there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do to reverse any of it.
  • tetecia
    tetecia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hmm....i know this is going to sound horrible. But, i wouldn't have had my kids. I have two kids right now, but after i had them my health seriously deteriorated. It's not like it just happened on a fluke, i have been sick my entire life, i should've known what pregnancy, childbirth and the stress that ensues from having kids was going to do to me.
    But, i have them now, and all i can do is work on keeping myself relatively healthy and not in constant pain and exhaustion.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Not to go to dark on this topic, but 33 years ago I stood quiet while friends made fun of a retarded boy. I stood by and said nothing, pretending my silence meant I wasn't a part of it. I knew better at the time and still did nothing. I've lots of horrible things in my life, but never to someone so weak that needed someone like me to be better and not sit quietly by. I'm almost 46 and I promiseanyone reading this this, I never go more then 2-3 days at a time without wishing I could go back in time and be the person my parents raised and the person that kid needed then.

I can't say I learned from it, I knew better at the time and was still a coward.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are a million things I'd do differently, but I don't think about it.

My favorite quote about the past: Chuck Palahniuk - "Your past is just a story. And once you realize this it has no power over you."

Brilliant man!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    There are always what ifs. For example I had a DVT in my leg and I wish I could had done more to prevent it. However, since it was partially genetically influenced, there is a high chance I'd have gotten one at another point in my life anyways. Maybe when I decided to have children. I'd rather have the permanent vein damage in my leg than have to deal with dying from a surprise DVT while pregnant. So while there are definitely downs in life, things could always have been worse, and things have always just seemed to take care of themselves. Just gotta keep trying your best and go with the flow.
  • scrapbooklady
    scrapbooklady Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would have put my MIL in her place from day one and not thought things would get better with time. I wish I would have stood up to her back then and said what I thought.
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do anything over again. Got me where I am today.

^^ This ^^ Yes, I have regrets, but a do-over for anything means something else wouldn't have turned out the same. So I will live with my regrets and enjoy the life I have now.

So maybe change the premise a little. If you could do something over and NOT have it change the general direction of your life, what would you change or redo?

I would want to go back and redo my Jr. and Sr. years in high school again. I look back on those years and think "what a tool". Wish I hadnt acted the way I did.
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    Not really because Im pretty happy with the way my life is now but I guess not being tubby in elementary school would have made my childhood a lot easier.
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Not to go to dark on this topic, but 33 years ago I stood quiet while friends made fun of a retarded boy. I stood by and said nothing, pretending my silence meant I wasn't a part of it. I knew better at the time and still did nothing. I've lots of horrible things in my life, but never to someone so weak that needed someone like me to be better and not sit quietly by. I'm almost 46 and I promiseanyone reading this this, I never go more then 2-3 days at a time without wishing I could go back in time and be the person my parents raised and the person that kid needed then.

I can't say I learned from it, I knew better at the time and was still a coward.

Thats a tough one, feel for you. Are you still friends with those people? Do you think they feel the same as you, or even remember it? The fact that you knew it was wrong initially means you have a strong internal compass. Thats good. And I'll bet you never made that mistake again. I wish you peace from this. Any way you can repay and obsolve yourself?