Confused about right-to-work...

Options
katrwal
katrwal Posts: 336 Member
Interesting times here in Michigan - the state House and Senate passed right-to-work legislation in the fastest, most organized manner yesterday - quicker than I've seen anything happen in my long life... :happy:

The papers today are filled with vitriol about the death of democracy and the labor unions... so, as the nerd that I am, I went out to the legislature website to read the actual bills that got passed.

Here's my confusion - the actual legislation changes state that no individual shall be compelled to pay dues to a union or make voluntary contributions to another fund in lieu of union dues as a requirement of their job. So how is that killing the unions?

By the way - I do understand the "death of democracy" statements - there were no public forums yesterday, no committee meetings, and the exact same measure was voted down as a public act during the general election last month.

I'm just hoping for some insight into the whole union-death-threat thing - that part has always had me baffled. :huh:

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    IBTL!
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    LOL - wasn't intended to start some controversy... but i understand why you'd say that.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    LOL - wasn't intended to start some controversy... but i understand why you'd say that.

I have no idea the answers to your questions, I just know that this won't end well.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Just ask the thousands of family members who were forced to pay union dues to the SEIU because they were receiving disability
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Quite simply, the unions are going to lose money, lost revenue equates to lost power....... my take at least....

Wish NYS was a right to work state!!! Never happen in my lifetime
  • grandm0ther10
    Options
    Sadly, many people see unions as a subculture to gain power over all else in the country. When any of that power is taken away, for example by secret ballot, those folks react strongly. No one should be afraid of violence just for going to work. We are the envy of the world because we live under a rule of law, not under the whim of a few. Our Constitution must be defended and honored. Pray for all in authority that we may live in peace as well as justice.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Most places where there's a union are known as "Union Shops" meaning you can't work there unless you join the union. Right to work laws make this illegal. It's bad for unions because they no longer have the power to force people to join when they get hired.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    In a Right-To-Work state, employees have a CHOICE to join the union or not.

If a labor contract is in effect, usually all covered jobs are bound to the rules of the contract. Employees who do not join the union, but are in a covered job still get the contract protections AND limitations. They get to ride the coattails of the work the union does without paying to support the organization.

When working in a union covered position, I have joined the union. But I am a strong believer in the employee having the choice. If the union is ineffective or corrupt, your voice is very limited if you cannot leave the membership and turn off your dues dollars.

Good for this state.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Sadly, many people see unions as a subculture to gain power over all else in the country. When any of that power is taken away, for example by secret ballot, those folks react strongly. No one should be afraid of violence just for going to work. We are the envy of the world because we live under a rule of law, not under the whim of a few. Our Constitution must be defended and honored. Pray for all in authority that we may live in peace as well as justice.

^^THIS!!!
  • Andrewsvan
    Andrewsvan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It can be confusing. I talked to a guy I know in the Electrical Workers Union. His take on it was that the non union worker will be entitled to the same representation benefits as a union worker. In other words, receiving representation for nothing. I'm not sure if this is an accurate portrayal.
    On the other hand, I am all for freedom to join or not join associations. In the non Right to Work situation, my membership in a labor union would be required (coerced) as a condition of my employment in a union shop (been there, done that, don't want a repeat). The situation also arises where a nonunion worker would be barred from a union job site due to a lack of union membership, thus preventing my freedom to pursue my livelihood in a manner I see fit.
    While I am not thrilled with the process it has taken this is a great lesson in politics. The government force a special interest uses to corner their segment of the market can also be used against them if the political pendulum swings the other way.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    They are going to kick this topic as political too bad it would have been interesting
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    You do not want to live in a right to work for less state-- trust me I live in one. If you don't already know the history of labor it is worth a study. But the short of it is there are no benefits to this fir the worker and in fact right to work for less leaves the worker vulnerable (health hazards, wages, etc.) it has been horrible for the states that have it. I'm not going to try to leave a long winded explanation to try to convince you but I encourage you to do some research on the topic.
  • Andrewsvan
    Andrewsvan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have lived in a right to work and non right to work states doing the identical job in each state. Basically the only difference was wages. Once the wages stagnated for an unacceptable period of time, I quit. There were no differences in safety standards or any other facet of the job. Unfortunately here in MI the wages have fallen drastically for nonunion workers and any available union jobs have dried up. 10 years ago, I was turning down $20 jobs because I was way above that, now they are nonexistent or the qualifications are ridiculously high. The mere existence of non right to work is no guarantee of high wages for everybody unless you are one of the people able to keep your union job. Don't get me wrong, I am not a union hater, I'm just against the protectionist racket they are running with the force of law behind them. I am merely against being coerced to join an association as a condition of my employment. I prefer to choose my associations and thus make the union compete for my support. But, to each his own.