Back Injuries

Options
Ok so I started a new challenge for December which include burpees. (burpees are new to me) Ive had a bad back for years but havent had any problems for a really long time. After four days, my back has gone out. Just wanted your take on what exercises to avoid if you have a bad back? Now Im stuck doing nothing and really not happy about it:cry:

Replies

• twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Had a spinal fusion several years ago. Can not do burpees. Physically, can not do them.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I have a bad SI joint (which is where my hip connects to my lower back).

A lot of things aggravate it; some days it won't be, some days it will be. You have to learn the signals your body is giving you. It might take awhile (took me forever) to learn this, but you need to stop when you're feeling any sort of back pain (aside from normal muscle burning/soreness from the work out), because trust me, you WILL pay for it.

You'll have to find out what triggers your back pain and how much you can take. Back pain is very individual when it comes to areas, symptoms, etc. because there are so many nerves and different places of injury.
  • sevfam
    sevfam Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Nothing hurt while doing them but two days later it goes out.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Nothing hurt while doing them but two days later it goes out.

You'll experience that. Hopefully you'll be able to learn from it and realize how much your body can handle before pooping out. I'd recommend going to a doctor, too. Not sure what exactly is wrong with your back, but maybe a Chiro would help. Even going to your regular physician they could supply you with some anti-inflams or muscle relaxers to curb the pain while you figure out a better way to deal with your injury. And if there isn't a better way, these can be your "treatment". I have prescriped anti-inflams that are much better on your organs (and tummy, thankfully) than OTC drugs. I always take them about 30 minutes before I work out. Saves the crap I have to deal with later.
  • pithynutritionpun
    pithynutritionpun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It depends what type of back problems you have, but if you have low back pain with an undetermined cause (which is most common), make sure you're focusing on increased strength and flexibility in your back. Burpees, while they can be a great exercise, are likely not good for a bad back, particularly judging from your experience. Work on stretching, flexibility, and strength, focusing on building your core as well as your upper back (your abs do a lot more work for your back than it may seem). Yoga and pilates are a great way to increase strength "safely" if you have back issues, especially within your stabilizer muscles. Unless a doctor has specifically prescribed limited activity, don't stop working out, just adjust what you're doing to target building the tissue in your back as well. This could still apply if you have specific back problems that have been identified such as degenerated discs, but definitely talk to your doctor to determine the best workouts for you if that's the case.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    I agree with everything the above poster said, except for this part...vv
    Yoga and pilates are a great way to increase strength "safely" if you have back issues, especially within your stabilizer muscles.

At least, it depends on your pain severity. You make it sound like your unable to work out at all because of the pain, so obviously certain motions are triggering debilitating pain. Although this is a great exercise, particularly for back, if you are currently feeling pain, you really shouldn't be doing much until you go into a doctor, as this can cause more pain. I wouldn't recommend any sort of strength training until you get into a doctor and see what they say.

Back injuries can result in permanent nerve damage if you don't take care of it correctly. I was that stupid person that kept working through the pain, gritting my teeth, and bearing it. It got to the point where my husband had to carry me to the bathroom, and help shower me before I finally agreed to go to the doctor. Now I have to have cortisone injections all the time (Not a great experience)

MFP offers great advice, but I definitely think you should stick to moderate cardio and put off any extra strength training before you see a doctor who is an expert on the matter :)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I have a bad SI joint (which is where my hip connects to my lower back).

A lot of things aggravate it; some days it won't be, some days it will be. You have to learn the signals your body is giving you. It might take awhile (took me forever) to learn this, but you need to stop when you're feeling any sort of back pain (aside from normal muscle burning/soreness from the work out), because trust me, you WILL pay for it.

You'll have to find out what triggers your back pain and how much you can take. Back pain is very individual when it comes to areas, symptoms, etc. because there are so many nerves and different places of injury.

This. I also suffer from a bad SI joint, and apparently one side of my pelvis is larger than the other which causes me lots of problems :grumble:

With yoga, going into downward dog REALLY messed up my hips. I am OK with cardio, but I have to be super careful when doing squats, deadlifts and lunges. I got into the whole 'heavy lifting' deal a while back, and I would put out my hips/back after nearly every session. Now I do the same movements, but at a much slower progression with the weight. Burpees, I would just avoid, since you the quick ground to jump transition could just be trouble.

Also, you REALLY should work on your core strength. Planks, side planks, dog begs (it's what I call the stretch when you are on your hands and knees, and reach out with one arm and kick back with the opposite leg,) are what my chiropractor prescribed me. Also try to remember to gently stretch your arms/shoulders/back throughout the day.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Now I have to have cortisone injections all the time (Not a great experience)

I am scared I am coming to this point myself, and it terrifies me. I just picture a gigantic needle going in my back, with no anaesthetic. Is it really painful to get the cortisone shots, and how often do you need to get them? I get adjustments from my chiro but as long as I do any sort of activity, the pain eventually comes back :(
  • pithynutritionpun
    pithynutritionpun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything the above poster said, except for this part...vv
    Yoga and pilates are a great way to increase strength "safely" if you have back issues, especially within your stabilizer muscles.

At least, it depends on your pain severity. You make it sound like your unable to work out at all because of the pain, so obviously certain motions are triggering debilitating pain. Although this is a great exercise, particularly for back, if you are currently feeling pain, you really shouldn't be doing much until you go into a doctor, as this can cause more pain. I wouldn't recommend any sort of strength training until you get into a doctor and see what they say.

Back injuries can result in permanent nerve damage if you don't take care of it correctly. I was that stupid person that kept working through the pain, gritting my teeth, and bearing it. It got to the point where my husband had to carry me to the bathroom, and help shower me before I finally agreed to go to the doctor. Now I have to have cortisone injections all the time (Not a great experience)

MFP offers great advice, but I definitely think you should stick to moderate cardio and put off any extra strength training before you see a doctor who is an expert on the matter :)

Definitely correct. I didn't mean if OP currently has debilitating pain to start doing yoga and pilates, I meant once the acute episode has passed (sorry, I didn't word my response very well). Sorry to read of your back problems, that is a scary thing indeed.

Definitely go see a doctor OP, do what they tell you to do, and don't do anything that causes pain until then. Just be cautious with extended periods of limited activity or rest, as they can worsen the problem. Most back problems are an issue with soft tissue rather than bone or nerves, and exercise within the bounds of what works for your body can help to strengthen your back and prevent future episodes. But again, go on the advice of a trusted doctor for sure.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Ok so I started a new challenge for December which include burpees. (burpees are new to me) Ive had a bad back for years but havent had any problems for a really long time. After four days, my back has gone out. Just wanted your take on what exercises to avoid if you have a bad back? Now Im stuck doing nothing and really not happy about it:cry:

Get that Medrol pack ASAP!

I had back issues off and on for a while now. I had lumbar surgery in 2004 (L5).

Low impact cardio is a good starting point.

Many people who have back issues prefer swimming.....

Slow and steady - there are a variety of exercises that you can do - if I can find a decent illustration I will send it over.

Good luck.
  • lwagnitz
    Options

I am scared I am coming to this point myself, and it terrifies me. I just picture a gigantic needle going in my back, with no anaesthetic. Is it really painful to get the cortisone shots, and how often do you need to get them? I get adjustments from my chiro but as long as I do any sort of activity, the pain eventually comes back :(

I used to get adjustments as well, but it keeps coming out, because the issues need to get fixed (which I am too broke to pay for) I have had cortisone shots in 3 different places.

I'll tell you what I've personally experienced, but keep in mind, people have different experiences.

I had one in my hip flexor, which actually tickled and I had to do everything in my power not to laugh my butt off. They told me they'd never heard of that before, though.

The next I had it in the front of my hip for my joint there on the opposite hip of my SI joint issue (I have messed up hips to say the least). That hurt...pretty bad. I'd like to think I have a pretty high pain tolerance (I laughed when I broke my foot). I was cringing. But I made it out okay. It made me nervous for the one I was getting in my SI joint because I was already in so much pain as it was

I really don't want to scare the crap out of you...but it probably will. It was extremely extremely painful. I swear it hurt worse than when I went through my hip surgery (see, messed up hips lol). It feels like a lot of pressure when it goes in. Then it gets to where it's sore and it imitates the pain that you feel x10. Then when they put the medicine in, and I'm really trying not to exaggerate, but describe how it feels... it feels like someone is putting hot metal in you. It just feels like A LOT of pressure and burning.

However, I instantly felt relief after.

But, that night I experienced something called cortisone flare, which I guess is rare, and to my luck, got it. It's where it makes it worse and makes it inflamed. I was literally bed ridden for 2 days :/

But after that, I felt 150% better. It lasted about 2 months for me. You can only get 3 in 3 months I believe. I haven't had another since, since I'm terrified of pain I experienced last time, but I've heard that you can request Valium or a light sedation.

Keep in mind, however, I have read reviews that people hardly feel anything and they weren't worse for the wear. From what I've seen, mine is pretty much as bad as it gets, and I think I'm an outlier.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Just be cautious with extended periods of limited activity or rest, as they can worsen the problem.

This is also VERY VERY VERY true.
  • sevfam
    sevfam Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of core strength exercises, planks and some yoga. I do not have disc problems, been to Dr. many times as it is low back pain with an undetermined cause and it's usually a muscle spasm that pulls me out of wack, then pinches a nerve. Like I said, Ive been dealing with my back for 30 years now. I know what it takes for it to heal, and thats a day maybe two at the most of rest. I agree, too much rest makes it much worse. I dont take meds, hate all the side effects. I appreciate all of your advice and think burpees will be part of my past. I have no plans to quit exercising at all. Ill be back at it soon. Just bummed that I have to take a few days off.
  • Natihilator
    Options

I used to get adjustments as well, but it keeps coming out, because the issues need to get fixed (which I am too broke to pay for) I have had cortisone shots in 3 different places.

I'll tell you what I've personally experienced, but keep in mind, people have different experiences.

I had one in my hip flexor, which actually tickled and I had to do everything in my power not to laugh my butt off. They told me they'd never heard of that before, though.

The next I had it in the front of my hip for my joint there on the opposite hip of my SI joint issue (I have messed up hips to say the least). That hurt...pretty bad. I'd like to think I have a pretty high pain tolerance (I laughed when I broke my foot). I was cringing. But I made it out okay. It made me nervous for the one I was getting in my SI joint because I was already in so much pain as it was

I really don't want to scare the crap out of you...but it probably will. It was extremely extremely painful. I swear it hurt worse than when I went through my hip surgery (see, messed up hips lol). It feels like a lot of pressure when it goes in. Then it gets to where it's sore and it imitates the pain that you feel x10. Then when they put the medicine in, and I'm really trying not to exaggerate, but describe how it feels... it feels like someone is putting hot metal in you. It just feels like A LOT of pressure and burning.

However, I instantly felt relief after.

But, that night I experienced something called cortisone flare, which I guess is rare, and to my luck, got it. It's where it makes it worse and makes it inflamed. I was literally bed ridden for 2 days :/

But after that, I felt 150% better. It lasted about 2 months for me. You can only get 3 in 3 months I believe. I haven't had another since, since I'm terrified of pain I experienced last time, but I've heard that you can request Valium or a light sedation.

Keep in mind, however, I have read reviews that people hardly feel anything and they weren't worse for the wear. From what I've seen, mine is pretty much as bad as it gets, and I think I'm an outlier.

:noway:

I'll stick with my Robaxacet and stretching and ease up on the strength training, for now.
  • lwagnitz
    Options

:noway:

I'll stick with my Robaxacet and stretching and ease up on the strength training, for now.

Lol, yeah, definitely use cortisone/steroid shots as your last resort. They're not that great for you anyway.