• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What's soda? Is that like, pop?

Yes
  • Jennifer076
    Jennifer076 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I used to drink monster energy(big can) drinks EVERYDAY for along time, coca cola, and mt.dew( only fountain pop often). I am proud to say that I haven't had any of it in about a month.I don't drink diet pops either. I drink coffee in the a.m. and water for the rest of the day. I feel that I have a lot more energy then before. But I also take B12 vitamins. I can also see a difference in my skin. It's nice not having those mid day crashes.
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I remember reading about how diet soda makes you crave sugary things....... didn't realize how true that was until I stopped drinking it!!! It helped me a lot.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    You've made so many other changes, I seriously doubt it's just due to the lack of soda.Correlation=/= causation.
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    Are you sure that is the only reason?
  • Juashmom
    Options
    Thats awesome! I quit drinking diet soda when I started MFP...I was drinking nothing but diet soda all day every day! Quiting was a challenge the first few days I went cold turkey then decided to have a small juice glass when I felt the headach coming on..this helped...I haven't cut it out completely either I will have a diet coke when I go out to eat (which is more often than I like to admit)...I did notice a difference as I have other times when I've given it up...I'm not as puffy...but then I'm prone to water retention..
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I know my statement sounded a bit extreme, but I prefer to avoid the stuff completely. I just think its better to not have it than to have it. And if someone feels like they need it as a reward or something, I would encourage them to look at the rewards of not drinking it. It's like fast food, does anyone really need it, ever? Ideally people would consume exactly zero amount of it.
    I think anyone serious about their health just needs to cut out all soda, diet or otherwise, and corn syrup (as much as possible). It's not just about inches on your waist, there's diabetes and heart/blood problems, kidney stones, muscle loss, all very serious. Figure out how to quit drinking it and do that thing. Most people won't need to supplement it with something else, your energy levels from diet and exercise should naturally increase.

So you are saying that soda, diet soda, corn syrup has risks for diabetes and heart/blood problems at any dosage?
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ok giving up All diet soda, Only drinking lite Beer, Not really, I too have to stop the diet Mt.Dew, I lose count on how many a day I have, but do know there are days I have headaches from to many. My goal for December is too only have 3 a day.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I did this too, only drinking it on special occasions (Christmas, etc.) but otherwise don't drink really anything other then water and after a few months, I don't even miss it. I feel 100% better and enjoy other things, I drink tea and coffee now and haven't been happier.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I know my statement sounded a bit extreme, but I prefer to avoid the stuff completely. I just think its better to not have it than to have it. And if someone feels like they need it as a reward or something, I would encourage them to look at the rewards of not drinking it. It's like fast food, does anyone really need it, ever? Ideally people would consume exactly zero amount of it.
    I think anyone serious about their health just needs to cut out all soda, diet or otherwise, and corn syrup (as much as possible). It's not just about inches on your waist, there's diabetes and heart/blood problems, kidney stones, muscle loss, all very serious. Figure out how to quit drinking it and do that thing. Most people won't need to supplement it with something else, your energy levels from diet and exercise should naturally increase.

So you are saying that soda, diet soda, corn syrup has risks for diabetes and heart/blood problems at any dosage?

Do we need it? No. Do we need any individual foods? No. Do we want it because in reasonable dosage there is not harm and its yummy? - Yes, so why not?

IMO your statement sounded extreme because it was.
  • rsellersCST
    rsellersCST Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I remember reading about how diet soda makes you crave sugary things....... didn't realize how true that was until I stopped drinking it!!! It helped me a lot.

^^This^^

Soda was something I never thought I'd be able to kick. It was actually my teenage daughter that inspired me... she gave it up for the most part... opting for water even when soda was readily available. I started doing the same... and I had HEARD the same things... that it's the cravings...

THAT was really an issue for me before... one that I didn't even realize how big it was... until I actually kicked the habit... once I was clear of the soda for a few weeks it dawned on me that I wasn't craving the crap I used to. Then I had some sodas here and there... and wouldn't you know... I noticed some cravings I hadn't had in a couple months... I stopped and thought about it... SODA!

That's what it was for me anyway.

Now... I really crave coffee about 2-3 times a week... we'll see if I can eventually kick that down... who knows!
  • jereneyz
    jereneyz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You've made so many other changes, I seriously doubt it's just due to the lack of soda.Correlation=/= causation.

The reason why I think it's the diet soda is:
    Not necessarily. However, I've been on and off diets for the past 13 years. (...) The only differentiating factor this time is diet soda. So I'm inclined to believe that it is the root cause.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

The reason why I think it's the diet soda is:
    Not necessarily. However, I've been on and off diets for the past 13 years. (...) The only differentiating factor this time is diet soda. So I'm inclined to believe that it is the root cause.

Have you tracked your calories throughout all that time?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    I have put on about 3 lbs though. Also, inches are dropping off as well. Furthermore, I'm doing weights and aerobics.
    When you start any lifting/exercise program, weight gain is not uncommon. The gain is from water/glycogen storage. Muscle is VERY hard to put on even if you're nutritionally sound and in calorie surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    You can't attribute all those symptoms to just soda/diet soda. Correlation isn't causation. Unless you have peer reviewed clinical studies backing the claim, the symptoms could be caused by genetics, obesity/being overweight, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
  • RECowgill
    Options
    No worries, I see from your bio that you're opinionated about foods and people's attitudes towards them. Your approach isn't a clean/pure one, that works for you. I just avoid these things because I don't need them or want them.

For what its worth I'm not a perfect eater myself. I'm not into any clean eating, I have my less-than-ideal foods. But I take exception with soda, as food products go, I think it does more harm than good.

Do we need it? No. Do we need any individual foods? No. Do we want it because in reasonable dosage there is not harm and its yummy? - Yes, so why not?

• RECowgill
    Options
    I don't doubt your knowledge, but I thought it was pretty well established that soda and corn syrup can contribute towards:
    * weight gain
    * muscle loss
    * diabetes
    * kidney stones

In addition to the reasons you suggest like genetics. I never said it was soda alone that caused these problems.
    You can't attribute all those symptoms to just soda/diet soda. Correlation isn't causation. Unless you have peer reviewed clinical studies backing the claim, the symptoms could be caused by genetics, obesity/being overweight, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I don't doubt your knowledge, but I thought it was pretty well established that soda and corn syrup can contribute towards:
    * weight gain
    * muscle loss
    * diabetes
    * kidney stones

In addition to the reasons you suggest like genetics. I never said it was soda alone that caused these problems.

IDEA Fitness member

Could you cite sources of studies or even articles from reputable sources that show a causation of these problems from soda and corn syrup. It is not well established as far as I am aware.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No worries, I see from your bio that you're opinionated about foods and people's attitudes towards them. Your approach isn't a clean/pure one, that works for you. I just avoid these things because I don't need them or want them.

For what its worth I'm not a perfect eater myself. I'm not into any clean eating, I have my less-than-ideal foods. But I take exception with soda, as food products go, I think it does more harm than good.

You are obviously rather opinionated yourself - see bold. Far more than me to be honest. I generally back my opinions up with peer based studies when making a claim where possible. You have not.

If you do not want a food, that is fine and I respect that. But making claims about them that have no basis is a very different matter.
  • GingerRunner
    Options
    For those looking to replace soda, even sweetened iced tea is a healthier choice--at least you get some good phytochemicals and stuff. Plus, most people make it with regular old sugar, which is a step up the bad list from HFCS. And if you make your own, you can gradually back off on the sugar. I've learned to like unsweetened green or black tea, but it took a determined effort fueled mostly by my resentment/disappointment that I had become addicted to mass produced garbage.

True story. This is exactly how I quit sodas several years ago. I substituted it for sweet tea made at home. Then I backed out of the sugar. That kept me from going bonkers "needing" a drink that had more flavor than just plain water.

Fast forward several years (I guess my final good bye to sodas was about 5 years ago) I only drink coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day. If I am running a lot outside in the summer I do have the occasional sports drink and I always have sugar free electrolyte replacement powders. Other than that, water.

Oh, and my lovely vice--red wine.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!