Are you the only healthy-eater at your family holiday party?

Options
I hate getting poked and told that I need to eat more or told that I'm too skinny....ugh.(((((((((((((((((((((((((((( and I SWEAR TO GOD IF ONE MORE PERSON POKES MY RIBS................................................)))))))))))) Believe me,I eat more than enough each day (just check my food log lol)....I just choose to eat low carb, and I'm the only one in my family that eats that way.

Are you the only one that eats a certain way in your family? If so, how do you deal with it? Got any advice for others dealing with the same problem?

The only thing I can suggest is to bring a dish to share that I find acceptable to eat so that I *know* I won't go hungry while I'm there.

If your family get-together's are anything like mine, it's all a ton of processed stuff or carbohydrates.

What other advice do you have to survive the holidays? I could use some more tips.

Thank you!!!

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i know exactly how you feel and felt exactly the same way at one time...

BUT...

I've learnt alot from my experiences so far and one thing is that, if you spend all your time worrying about it, how is it fun?
    I used to cringe at the thought of family get togethers and they would get awkward and snarky about my pickyness.
    Whats the worst that can happen? Make the best, most nutritious choice you can.
    Im sure theres meat. Im sure theres at least a small amount of fruits of vegetables. Just pick the good stuff out. And also there are better 'so called' bad choices. Ice cream contains potassium and calcium and is less processed than say, chocolate cake or shortbread. Just eat and enjoy who gives a ****!!!! OOPS. did i swear?!
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm really blessed with a family that will accommodate me, and they are so supportive. I always make side dishes (that they end up loving) and we do plenty of fresh vegetables.
    I do South Beach too :)
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    I eat primal and my family is Mexican..honestly I dont even try because I cant win. Also, I only see them 1-2 times a year. If you see them more often than that I could see how it would be a problem though. I think taking a dish i a good idea. Maybe also talking to them about your fitness goals and why you aren't partaking might help?

PS Its none of my business but curiosity killed the cat- how on earth do you manage to eat and burn that much?
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I started with south beach and now im sorta off in my own world doing my own low carb do-hingy :) my family (for the most part) is good about it...one half of them though aren't supportive and say I look sick and talk **** behind my back and stuff....ugh...

I still make them sugar cookies and stuff. I just don't eat them :)
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    I eat primal and my family is Mexican..honestly I dont even try because I cant win. Also, I only see them 1-2 times a year. If you see them more often than that I could see how it would be a problem though. I think taking a dish i a good idea. Maybe also talking to them about your fitness goals and why you aren't partaking might help?

PS Its none of my business but curiosity killed the cat- how on earth do you manage to eat and burn that much?

2/3rds of my intestines are bypassed so I calculate the approximate malabsorption right into my calories burned so I have a more accurate estimate of my intake.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Nothing? Was there a thread on this already? lol
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advice, but I'm in the same boat as you! it's difficult. Luckily both my parents are trying to lose weight and get healthy now too, but over Thanksgiving both of them were just like "we don't care! we're taking a break!" so that was annoying .__. hopefully Christmas will be different!

I just try to reassure my family that no, I'm not starving myself (far from it)...and I still LOVE food...I'm just trying to make smart decisions :) It was nice when they told me they noticed I lost a lot of weight! (as I thought...SEE that's why I'm doing this!! haha)

Anyway, if you have never seen skinnytaste.com, check it out :) Maybe we can make some delicious holiday dishes for our families that they'll love and never even need to know how healthy they are :)
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    thanks for the link!