I had a cheat day today.

Options
I'm on a plan to lose 2 pounds per week, and I had a cheat meal for dinner that caused me to go 1,000 calories over my limit. I've been eating healthy the whole week, and I've been under my calorie goal ever since I started. Will this cause a huge obstacle in my path to weight loss?

Replies

• moldenn
    Options
    No, a cheat day is normal and it will not hurt you at all!
  • Harajunkie
    Options
    I'm on a plan to lose 2 pounds per week, and I had a cheat meal for dinner that caused me to go 1,000 pounds over my limit. I've been eating healthy the whole week, and I've been under my calorie goal ever since I started. Will this cause a huge obstacle in my path to weight loss?
    Okay, thank you. I just felt like I ruined all the hard work I put in. Watching that number go from green to negative red hurt a little.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    You're allowed a cheat day once in awhile. The main thing is to get right back on track. Don't say something like "I ruined today, who cares what I eat for the whole weekend!" I've done this before :/
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    1000 lbs? do you mean 1000 calories?
    no. you may be up a few lbs of water weight but it takes 3500 over your tdee to gain a lb of fat. much less 1000 lbs. Dont worry. i used to do the same thing you do and completely FREAK OUT every time i went over. Every thing changes. Thats just life.
  • Harajunkie
    Options
    You're allowed a cheat day once in awhile. The main thing is to get right back on track. Don't say something like "I ruined today, who cares what I eat for the whole weekend!" I've done this before :/
    Thank you! And thankfully, my meal was at dinner, so I really didn't have much of a choice but to stop eating anyways. I am now blissfully chewing on sugarfree gum.
  • Harajunkie
    Options
    1000 lbs? do you mean 1000 calories?
    no. you may be up a few lbs of water weight but it takes 3500 over your tdee to gain a lb of fat. much less 1000 lbs. Dont worry. i used to do the same thing you do and completely FREAK OUT every time i went over. Every thing changes. Thats just life.
    Thank you! I knew there was something wrong about my post. And yeah, I was kind of freaking out a bit.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    not really as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Good for your mental health anyway =D
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Cheat days can be helpful in a few different ways. For one it gives you something to look forward to and will help you stay more on track with the good eating I believe, and two, some studies show that it actually helps your metabolism to have a bad day. So don't feel bad at all and I hope you enjoyed it!
  • Hey__Im__Krista
    Options
    Ive not excersized in a month, ive had pizza, donairs, chocolate, cake cookies, deep fried fish and chips and i have not logged a single thing in this time, still losing weight anyway..

I wouldnt worry about 1000 calories.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You're just fine! Sometimes you will go over and that is ok! I know it's unnerving, especially when you start really focusing on health, and you feel like you didnt do everything perfect. It used to drive me insane. The guilt was HORRIBLE! You have to realize that things like this will happen and that is NOT failure. Get up tomorrow and enjoy a great workout and great food and move on!
  • Harajunkie
    Options
    not really as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Good for your mental health anyway =D
    Thank you! I actually read up on that while I was having my mini-panic attack.
  • Harajunkie
    Options
    Cheat days can be helpful in a few different ways. For one it gives you something to look forward to and will help you stay more on track with the good eating I believe, and two, some studies show that it actually helps your metabolism to have a bad day. So don't feel bad at all and I hope you enjoyed it!
    Thank you! Everybody here is so helpful. And I did really enjoy it, I've been watching so many people indulge lately, and it has never really occurred to me before how fattening the foods I was eating were. It's nice to feel on the opposite side of the spectrum.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No.

If you are on a 2lb scheduled loss - you already have a 1,000 calorie deficit built in. In theory you will neither gain nor lose for one day.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You can learn from every experience if you consciously think about it. What went right (did you truly enjoy every mouthful and has it set you back on track? Great!), what didn't go well (did you undereat during the day so everything smelled and looked amazing?), what would you do differently next time if anything (would you research calories, would you skip dessert, would you eat a plate of vegetables shortly before you went out)?