What did you do?

Options
I am starting to get the feeling like I want to quit. I don't like it! I want to hear what things you did when you felt like you wanted to quit. Quotes that inspired you? People? Pictures? Thoughts? Add them all! I'm not going to quit, I'm definitely in it to win it.. but I need to get out of this funk!

Replies

• phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    I look back at my old pictures. Seeing a side-by-side comparison of then and now reminds me how far I've come. I'm just getting out of my old funk, and back into the gym. Working out and getting those endorphins also helps me feel more confident. You've come such a long way! Congrats on 31 lbs lost!

Write down reasons why you're doing this in the first place. That might help get your head back in the game. You've got this!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I remind myself of why I am losing weight...plus I think about all the people who would miss me on this site... seriously. We've all wanted to quit at one time or another, we just support each other thru it.
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Change something small. I looked at your diary. Can I recommend that you shift some of your carb calories to protein? Try a couple of hundred calories for a couple of weeks.

I hit a plateau in August and was miserable. I did a lot of research and changed the makeup of my calories and increased them. That kicked me into gear, and I'm doing ok. Now, I'm in an exercise funk. Lots of stress at work. I find myself over my goal many days, but my clothes still fit loose, so that's a great motivator.
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I like " socializing" my loss here and on Facebook is because it makes me feel accountable. I'd feel like such a loser if I gained weight back, and I know plenty of folks would share hushed whispers in the halls of work.

I guess not wanting to look like a chump is a great motivator for me =)
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Look at your daughter and remember that you're doing it for her as well as for yourself. Children usually grow up to be mirrors of their parents - what do you want her life to reflect?

Don't give up! This is doable.
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I actually have quit, but when I gained back the weight I worked so hard to take off I recommitted. Now whenever I feel like quitting I pull out my skinny, goal weight pants and try to squeeze into them. I'm getting closer! Then I make a new goal and get back to work!
  • StephG1130
    StephG1130 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You guys are all awesome. Thank you so much for replying. I need to get my head in the game! You guys all reminded me of why I'm here, I don't want to give up!
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Pictures really do help. I take some of myself every few months in the same bikini, and while I didn't have a lot of weight to lose, I did have a ton of cellulite and a little extra fat that has drastically changed. And honestly, I might not have believed it myself if I didn't have all the pictures to show for it. And I don't want to go back to being the thunder thighs girl.

I also like looking at my progression charts on here. Even if I haven't done well on losing weight, I try to focus on SOMETHING good I've done, like getting more of my vitamins/minerals from foods rather than pills.

And, if I can keep myself busy enough and just stick to my plan, it never fails that I'll suddenly start losing again. Sometimes I think just finding pleasure in lots of other things-- and I mean super indulgent pleasure, whatever non-food activity that may be for you (pedicures, shopping, hiking with friends, massage, watching ASMR videos, listening to/playing music, painting-- anything!)-- can really help the time go by. If you just keep some healthy foods (that you actually ENJOY-- it may take a while to find these) in your house and stick to your plan in an almost autonomic sort of way, the pounds will come off and you'll start to feel positive about your journey. Having an exercise regimen that you actually like is important, too. For me that's kundalini yoga. I feel like all the breathing exercises for glands/nerves/etc.etc. really do work. It makes me FEEL healthy, not just feel like I want to one day be healthy but I better just keep exercising to punish myself for going over my calorie limit, like walking on the treadmill makes me feel.

Of course, I feel really UNhealthy at times, too, and just don't care. But it's so much easier to put on weight/lose muscle than it is to do the opposite, and I try to focus on that fact to keep me determined.
  • StephG1130
    StephG1130 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ^^ that is excellent! Thank you.. I never thought about trying to keep myself busy. I should try to find a hobby! It will take the focus off of losing weight all the time.. them maybe I will lose more not obsessing over it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Quitting happens when one gives up. You can't get time back, so the longer you stall at this, the more time you've wasted. The "extra mile" has no traffic because only the strivers reach it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 165ordietrying
    165ordietrying Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to ask myself "What's the alternative?" give up and get fatter? That thought helped me lose 75+lbs.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Apart from all the above great advice, take a look at your lifestyle and ask yourself what about it is making you want to quit? Is your diet very restrictive? Are you overdoing exercise, or forcing yourself to do exercise that you find boring? I think that's a big problem with "dieting" - people make changes that they can't live with, so they inevitably end up giving up. Your profile says " I am in this for the long haul... I don't want there to be an end. This is my life changing forever, not just to lose weight." I think that's a great attitude, so try and figure out ways you can make this permanent. If you eat the foods you enjoy, and do exercise that you enjoy, why would you want to quit?

I know it's not always that simple. To lose weight, you do of course have to make some sacrifices. Just try to identify what exactly it is about the process that's getting you down, and try to deal with that. I think you're already doing a lot of things right, like making smaller goals. I think that when you have achieved a few more of those, that will give you more momentum. The truth is though, you won't always feel motivated, you have to find the determination to succeed that will keep you plodding along during the rough times. Decide that quitting is no longer an option.

My favourite motivational quote to keep me going is:

"Losing weight is hard.
    Maintaining weight is hard.
    Being fat is hard.
    Choose your hard."
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Never back down! Never give up!
    Non carborundum bastardis (don't let the *kitten* wear you down)
    Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
    Second place just means you are the first loser.
    If you rest you rust. Helen Hunt
    The more you explain it. The more I don't understand it. Mark Twain
    Winners never quit. Quitters never win.
  • fungry_04
    fungry_04 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Jump on tumblr and look up "fit". or pinterest. Gets me out the door every time
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    What has kept me going even when the scale hasn't moved (and the scale moves less and less the closer you get to your goal) is how amazing I feel.

when I feel like I'm getting frustrated, I set fitness goals for myself, stuff to work towards...... Most recently, I completed my first half marathon..... trained for it for a few months, and then did it on nov 10..... I'm completing my second one tomorrow! :)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    one was my knee doctor telling me "do want to walk", then drop the weight. The times I feel like not working out are the times i push myself to go. It's a matter of making a promise to yourself and keeping the promise. Nobody said this is easy.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have felt like that sometimes but I look at how far I've come and how much better I feel. People making comments about how healthy I look really spur me on too. Someone I hadn't seen for about 6 months said to me this week that I looked younger. I will love her forever. We all have those days but the most important thing is to hang on to what inspires you and finding your own motivation for carrying on.

My husband has really helped too because we both have work out days which we have to commit to. We both do 4 days a week so that one of us is at home to tend to our 7 year old while the other goes out to do a fitness session be it weights, running or martial arts. Those are the days we commit to and we decide what fitness we will do. If on my night I choose not to go I am responsible for sort of sabotaging my commitment to health, thankfully this hasn't happened yet. Sometimes we swap days if I have to do a late meeting at work but we have been making this committment since August this year and it has worked.

Best of luck to you my friend and keep the faith.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Google funny pics like "fat guy in a speedo"... http://squirrelsviews.blogspot.com/2011/02/why-men-shouldnt-wear-speedos.html. Then go look myself in the mirror directly in the eyes and say, "Look dude, yer not quitting." Hey, if it worked for Stuart Smalley...I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me! Keeps things light and I journey onward with great friends here I can be honest with. I wish you the best, and this can be fun.
  • PremierFiguier
    Options
    I look back at my old pictures. Seeing a side-by-side comparison of then and now reminds me how far I've come. I'm just getting out of my old funk, and back into the gym.

definitely this. One of my biggest motivators is actually to look back at GOOD pictures of myself, where I'm fit, healthy, and my clothes look great on me. I remember how good it felt to be there.

I also will go through tons and tons of before and afters here and at other websites, to let the successes of others motivate me.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    I just did it. I quit............I gained 40 pounds back...........And then i started again.

Don't quit!!!