I would LOVE your input on this weight loss concept:

2»

Replies

• ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    I agree to an extent. Not so long of a break, but I've noticed it works for me. For example, I lost 10 lbs in Oct/part of November and then stalled. I took a break for a week and now that I'm back to eating lower, I'm losing again. I think I will do this every so often. For both weight loss and the mental break I need. Maybe try to coincide my breaks with vacations or holidays as much as possible. However I did up my exercise during my break a little. Not majorly but a bit.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I have never heard any mention of scientific evidence that says your body's preferred weight resets after a couple of months. I have heard that there is evidence that once your body establishes a new, higher weight it tends to want to stay there, and that your body's desire to return to that established higher weight persists for a long time.
    Doctors are not nutritionists or dietitians. Sometimes, however, they try to talk like they are.
  • Every morning on my way to work I listen to a weight loss podcast ran by a female fitness trainer and a male pharmacist. This mornings topic really had me thinking....

Their good friend, a doctor to be exact, mentioned this KEY tool in keeping the weight OFF. He says:

"After losing 10% of your body fat, it is vital to take a 3-6 month break from weight loss and switch to maintaining. Then, after the body maintained this weight for 3-6 months,start up the weight loss training again"

So, 200 pound person lets say loses 20 pounds. They are down to 280. This doctor recommends maintaining the new weight for a couple months, then starting again.

He says this will adjust your metabolism to the new weight. This gradual loss, maintain, loss method is the most effective way to lose weight and keep it off.
    He says, yes every body is different, but every body needs time to adjust to the new weight. Plain and simple. If a 200 pound person lost 50 pounds rapidly, maintaining would be more difficult for him/her. As the body hasn't had time to adjust properly...

After hearing this I was a bit sad, fast weight loss is something we all strive for. The maintain method would drive me nuts.

What is your opinion on this topic? I'd love to hear!

Makes absolute sense !!!. I lost 35lbs in 2006 within 6 months, back then it was easy to loose weight. As you age things change, loosing weight for some people as they age may not be the same game as they played before. This concept makes sense and I would certainly take break for every 10lbs of weight lost.

Maintenance mode will make my will power very strong and motivate. One may actually loose while maintaining.

If 3 months is too long one can start with Couple of weeks maintenance mode and see how their body reacts.

Keep Loosing you all !!!
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    I have a plan of maintaining my weight for 30 days every 3 months. I am due for my maintenance month January 1st and I am bummed that I only lost 14 pounds in three months. Wondering if I even need that month break.

Why are you bummed? That's approximately 1 pound a week, which is the perfect rate to lose slow and steady. Be proud of yourself for doing it the right way.
  • As a health psychologist working in this area, I have not yet read any reseaech on this. It sounds very interesting and like it is based on what we do know is healthy about adjusting to changes in body weight. The more rapidly we lose, the more difficult it tends to ve to keep it off. I'm not sure though if so much time is needed or realistic for most people. Overall, I would hypothesize that if one could do it that way, they may have longer lasting results.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    no. too long of a break.

What he said.
    Diet breaks are great but 6months?
    Try 2-4 weeks....
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    I've read articles that say the same thing. People are just really stuck to their ideas about losing weight fast, as can be seen with other responses. But it's not about someone "not having enough willpower" when they gain back the weight or their losing slows significantly. The body is much more complicated than that and it's been proven through research the idea that it's as simple as "calories in - calories out" is BOGUS!

The concept of maintaining in order to create a new set weight is very reasonable and really has been shown to help people keep the weight off. Keep in mind that most people are yo-yo dieters and a staggering number of people regain their weight loss plus some (something like 80 - 90% I think).

Yes, we all want to lose weight fast, but is it worth it if it doesn't stay off? There are so many contributing factors to our weight and some really are physiological and genetic. That's a point that a lot of people miss.

I'm just going to say that I do know what I'm talking about to some extent. I've taught nutrition and took a very hard course on the physiology of obesity at a prestigious school. However, no, I'm not a nutritionist nor am I a physician. However, if you'd like an opinion that backs my knowledge you can always look at this article:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/ideal-weight-or-happy-weight.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    I did this, but involuntarily and for not as long a time. I went from 250 to 225 over 7 months and then fell off-plan for about 2 months. I didn't track or pay attention to what I ate, but I maintained my weight (I maybe gained 2lbs of actual weight besides daily fluctuations, but shed it easily). Then I got my *kitten* in gear and lost another 10 in just over a month, and now my loss is slowing once again.

I don't plan on falling off the wagon for a month and a half again, but I would be OK with taking a 3 week "break" once I lose another 30lbs. That's only with my diet, I am never staying out of the gym for 2 months again, THAT was a BIG mistake :grumble:
  • Susantuti
    Susantuti Posts: 168 Member
    The slow loss makes me sad too but I think the idea does make sense. Although, maybe not 6 months, One or two months sound good to me.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    I'm not sure if I agree. It seems to me that if you're losing weight slowly, you wouldn't need time to "reset."

I agree with this^^. I lost my weight continuously, but slowly. I never had a break or a plateau. The loss wasn't linear, of course, it went it fits and starts, but when I reached my goal weight I continued to lose more until I looked in the mirror and said, yes, that looks good. I have maintained at that weight for one year now.