Slimfast Anyone?

Options
has anyone tried slimfast products? I haven't yet but was thinking of purchasing a few bars and drinks and using them as meal replcements and snacks. Is this a good idea or bad?

Replies

• luvmy1908
    Options
    has anyone tried slimfast products? I haven't yet but was thinking of purchasing a few bars and drinks and using them as meal replcements and snacks. Is this a good idea or bad?
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was drinking the Slimfast vanilla shake & I used the powder(chocolate).
    It did fill me up so I drank one in the morning.:drinker:
    I think the chocolate shake tasted kinda chalky:frown:

~Joanna
  • nancym
    nancym Posts: 49
    Options
    :love:
    Hey folks,
    I tried Slim Fast on 3 different occassions. The first and 2nd times it lasted about 2 months, the third time I only lasted about 2 weeks. It was very sweet and satisfied my sugar cravings. Of course, it has sugar in it, (although I think they have a sugar free one).
    The first 2 times I lost 40 # in the first month. All I had was 4 shakes a day. Of course, at this time I was burning 3-5000 calories a day when I was training race horses and working 18 hours a day, 7 days a week with no vacatons.
    I also got to the point that I was blacking out. Eventually I found out I had hypoglycemia, low blood sugar.
    The 3rd time I tried it, it only lasted 2 weeks and I wasn't working nearly as hard, burning only about 1500 calories a day and I wasn't busy enough to keep myself preoccupied from the fridge. No blacking out but all the sugar fed my hypoglycemia problems and pancreas problems with hyperinsulinism. It hurts when your pancreas is overworked.
    After this is when I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. After a decade I am finally getting control over my compulsive eating and sugar issues with occassional mess ups. At 53 it is hard to change old habits.
    As far as Slim Fast goes, it works for the short term and if it works for someone then that is great. Make sure you use the low carb/sugar free versions and make sure the carb count is low or else you are getting alot of sugar or starches and you might be climbing an uphill battle.
    Statistics show that up to 50% of the US population is hypoglycemic (hypoglycemia.com). If Slim Fast wants to remain a popular alternative diet plan, then they need to watch how much sugar they use and as a side note, be careful of whom they use to promote their product.
  • baday
    baday Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm not an expert with slimfast, but aren't you also supposed to eat at least one meal when you are on this diet? Having only 4 slimfasts a day, seems extremely dangerous, especially burning all of those calories. Its not a surprise you were blacking out
    :|
  • Najah5150
    Najah5150 Posts: 170
    Options
    I used to drink them. They're pretty good. I don't mean to be cheap but, I now drink the Target brand...and they taste just the same. I drink one for breakfast only.

Naj
  • nancym
    nancym Posts: 49
    Options
    :love:

Hey baday, I should have mentioned specifically that it wasn't Slim Fast that is to blame for the blacking out. It was my fault for not eating right. All the sugar in their cans of shakes and my unknown hypoglycemia added up to blacking out.
    I think it is wise to say that relying only on 1 thing, like only shakes or only (let's say) cabbage soup, or grapefruit, pick your weapon, so to speak, is not good and creates a lack of balance.
    I am learning alot through the hypoglycemia.com website about my problem and after reading the book, Mastering Leptin, there is alot to the human body we just can't imagine.
    You are quite right about living off 4 shakes a day. It is bad. Blacking out was due more to the sugar than anything else (my blood work was pretty good other than my blood sugar was very low each time this happened).
    Thanks for support.
    nancym
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I tried it. They didn’t stay with me very well. I was very very hungry very soon after drinking it. My tummy was growling like you would not believe. I found out right quick that….for me….it is better to eat my calories and not drink them. But that is just me. Some people can drink them and do just fine. Every one has to do what is right for them. :happy:
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have the Costco variety of Slimfast (they are just called Weight Loss Shakes) that I grab for breakfast on mornings when I have to head out the door before having time to grab something else. I couldn't use them all the time or for multiple meals a day but for my purpose, getting something into my tummy when I don't have time to get something else, they are perfect. And, they tide me over until my mid morning snack, or sometimes even until lunch. I've also been known to grab one in the evening after dinner if I have a bunch of calories left over that I need to use but am just not really 'hungry'. I figure that are full of vitamins and such and are a better filler than junk food. And, being chocolate they are sort of desserty...

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!! :flowerforyou:
    Niccole
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I've tried it a long time ago but right now I use herbalife chocolate mix with protein powder but only on weekday mornings when I'm in a hurry to get off to work. I eat real for for all my other meals an I like it that way.:happy:
  • greatest
    Options
    i passed these cereal bars from SLIM FAST this morning in the supermarket and realised that they are tripple expensive and have an extra 9 unnecesarry calories then kellogs special K bars(which have 90kcal). AND they are SMALLER!.....donno about you....but i need to chew to feel full...
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    I really like the meal replacement bars (the caramel peanut one is great!)....however, they are 220 calories. I eat one for breakfast with my tea if I am craving a donut or waffles or chocolate. Otherwise I stick to my yogurt and berries or packet of instant oatmeal (raisin and spice is only 150 calories!). I don't like the Slim Fast shakes, but my husband says he can tolerate the fudgy chocolate one if he's going to be busy so he is distracted from feeling hungry.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Isn't there an oatmeal raisin one?
    Maybe it's nice Slimfast but I remember it was pretty good but small.

I'll stick to my Special K bars.:wink:
  • babblingbarbie
    Options
    i used slim fast for years but was at the point where i hardly had anything and it is so true that you do need enough calories so that your body doesn't store every litle thing instead of letting you lose. i wasn't losing on the slim fast and now I use a protein powder with juice or milk and mix in veggie green powder and antioxidants. I found that that little extra protein was what I needed because even when I haven't been as careful about what I eat and gain a couple of pounds it only takes a very short time to re-lose it and that never happened for me when I used slim fast. Here's me holding the slim fast up and never drinking out of it and sipping from the protein drink! haha...hope the icon comes thru!:drinker:
  • rachelfrear
    Options
    I probably have tried every diet in the world!! Slimfast being one of them i'll just say I did drink one in the morn and one at lunch time and had a regular dinner the only downfall is that I get tried of drinking my meals and I just want to bite and chew on real food. They taste great!! I lost 20 lbs last year on Slimfast but as soon as I stopped the Slimfast diet I gained all my weight back rapidly!

I guess I should have stayed on Slimfast like they say do replacing only one meal to keep my weight the same.

But Good luck to you!

My fav are the dark royal chocolate ones! yummY! :drinker:
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I drink the Slim Fast Optima Chocolate Royale for breakfast everyday. I'm not a big breakfast eater so the shake gets something in my stomach. I think it is very yummy! The Optima meal replacement bars are also great. My favorite is the Caramel Crispy Peanut. It's like eating a candy bar. :tongue:
  • zaracooper
    Options
    They did not work for me, but they are nice to drink!!!!. The thing is every one is different, what may work for you, may not work for me? I have friends on weight watcher that make me so full that i felt sick (i had alot of pionts)
    We can tried and learn??
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have not tried Slim Fast, but do use the Special K meal replacement bars every week day morning. One of those and a piece of fruit with my herbal tea at around 9 am gets me through to lunch without feeling hungry. I chew the bar very slowly, taking small bites to make it last awhile. Surprisingly lasting for an almost 400 pound man.
  • BUNNYB
    BUNNYB Posts: 91
    Options
    :drinker: I like the slimfast drinks..
    not overly for the weight loss potential, but more for the nutritional needs when Im on the go, or not really hungry. I know the ingredients include everything you need for that replaced meal (breaky or lunch) so I am happy with that!!!
    Im not a big lunch person, so a shake it great!! I love the chocolate one.. quick tip; if you have a magic bullet.... 10sec and the chalky taste goes away and it becomes thick and frothy.. mmmmm!
  • krystalynnem
    Options
    I like to keep the slimfasts on hand, particularly for breakfast, and I try to keep some at work too, in case i get hungry or feel like i need a snack. I buy the ready made ones though, I am not a fan of the powdered versions...
    :laugh: