Anyone else in graduate school?

Options

Replies

• pmccoy5
    pmccoy5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Working on my Masters in Counselling psychology and then PHD work. I have been running throughout and that has helped me keep the weight under control! ;) It is a 60 hour masters program, been stressful but I lost 20 pouinds before starting back to school and quitting smoking! :flowerforyou:
  • MagnaSky
    MagnaSky Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Third year Ph.D. I have gained about 30lb. I am working on my work life balance, getting back in physical shape is part of it.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Veterinary medical school here. Working on my DVM.
  • DrHeadBang
    DrHeadBang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    6 more months! I' had a baby at the start of the 4th year and I have lost the baby weight but I still have 15 pounds to go before I'm back to pre-grad school weight. School did some damage, man! Then another 20 to be at the weight I met my (trained chef) husband. The odds have been stacked against me, haven't they? :)
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hey all! First year grad student in Counseling, here. I started losing weight while I was still in undergrad, so MFP has been an *incredibly* valuable tool in keeping my weight down after starting grad school. Best wishes on final exams, everyone! oof.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    meeeeee. i hate sitting in my office ALL day. at least as an undergrad I was up and walking from building to building!
  • Stasiasaurus
    Stasiasaurus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    3rd year vet school here. (Hi, other vet students!) It gets brutal, especially around exams. I got really lucky with my schedule this year, though: lectures 8 to 5, but with a big enough break around lunch to get to the gym on days I didn't have lab.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Used to be, I graduated 5 years ago... I gained some weight while writing my dissertation, lost it after I defended and then gained it all back and even twice as much during postdoc :(
  • mynada
    Options
    Me! I'm in my last 6 months of my masters in Biological Sciences, and I just got my 1st full time teaching job... pretty sure im a crazy person. :)
  • incognitopotato
    incognitopotato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    First year med student, and was a master's student last year. Feel free to add me, I'm trying to be consistent about logging here on MFP and I need friends!

I've started keeping almonds, dried fruit, and tea in my locker at school so that I can snack on those instead of buying candy and soda out of vending machines. This thread has some good tips, too!
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I start and finish my Masters thesis in English next semester. I started grad school at 138 in aug 2010. It's dec 2012, I weigh 148. I joined crossfit in oct 2010 and quit in may of this year since I got married and moved and can't find a decent box around here.

Yes, its hard to find time to workout. I work full time and Im busy with school. So to compensate I try to stick to a decent diet. But nonetheless. I feel y'all's pain. Although, Im sure everyone in sciences is probably a lot harder than my English. I do have a genuine question though, and who ever can answer please PM because I probably won't check this again; but what do math/science people write their Thesis/ Dissertation over?

My thesis is over sleep disorders in Gothic literature. I'm looking Edgar Allan Poe and a few other dead guys and using psychoanalysis (Freud/ Lacan) to analyze the duality of consciousness versus unconsciousness.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Used to be, I graduated 5 years ago... I gained some weight while writing my dissertation, lost it after I defended and then gained it all back and even twice as much during postdoc :(

I'm the opposite. I started exercising to relieve some of the stress and am in better shape now while writing my dissertation than I have been the rest of my life :D
    Me! I'm in my last 6 months of my masters in Biological Sciences, and I just got my 1st full time teaching job... pretty sure im a crazy person. :)

Aaaah! You must have stolen that job from me. Just kidding, congrats!
  • camiann585
    camiann585 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    third year Phd. Eating on the go and all the free food in the dept has caused me to gain weight.
  • NRM11
    NRM11 Posts: 2
    Options
    Second year law student here! I have definitely gained weight during law school..... worked it off..... then finals came around which led to lots of candy/chocolate eating.

This is the first time I am actually losing weight while in the midst of finals (almost 8 pounds since the beginning of this semester). However, part of the motivation stems from getting married soon and wanting to look good in a wedding dress! :)
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Second year law student here! I have definitely gained weight during law school..... worked it off..... then finals came around which led to lots of candy/chocolate eating.

This is the first time I am actually losing weight while in the midst of finals (almost 8 pounds since the beginning of this semester). However, part of the motivation stems from getting married soon and wanting to look good in a wedding dress! :)

2L here too! Candy / chocolate is definitely part of my finals studying plan. It boosts your seratonen and improves performance. Duh!
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    all the free food in the dept has caused me to gain weight.

... anyone here read PhD Comics?? :)
  • pss1229
    Options
    I just finished my first semester of grad school, getting my masters in teaching. Between being a full time student and a stay-at-home mom with a busy toddler, I definitely struggle with getting it all done and eating on the go. I joined a gym six months ago and have lost 30lbs so far but it is a daily (sometimes hourly) struggle. This time of year is just bad with all the holiday treats and stress!
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    all the free food in the dept has caused me to gain weight.

... anyone here read PhD Comics?? :)

I actually thought that was a clear reference to PhD comics :)
  • eris1981
    eris1981 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Third year PhD in Educational Studies and Research . . . I'm taking comps in the spring and then just have to write my dissertation!

My mom died during my first semester, then the following year I planned my wedding and got married, quit my job when I got a new better job offer but then the new job fell through (they overhired) . . . so with all of that stress, even though I've always been overweight, it just got out of control :(

I've been on MFP for a little over 6 months though, and I even managed to lose a couple of pounds Thanksgiving week so I'm hoping that I'll be down to a healthy weight by the time I graduate in May of 2014.
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I'm a first year MS in Family Developmental Studies student. I have to workout otherwise grad school makes me just a big ball of crazy. All the time lol. Feel free to add me :)