How food tastes

Options
So I have always had a sweet tooth. The sweeter it was the better. Well today my roommate brought home a french silk pie and I took a couple bites. I was repulsed by how much sugar I was tasting it made my stomach turn. Then I thought what is going on with me.

I've been at this healthier lifestyle of eating for about a month now and I have noticed I don't crave this sort of food as much and now when I eat it I don't like it as much. Is that something that is happening to others? Please share.

Replies

• sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I was a salt addict... the saltier the better... I can't do it anymore. The saltiness of lunchmeats gags me. We ordered from Jimmy Johns tonight - I got a turkey unwich and I couldn't eat it... it tasted like someone had coated it in salt.

It's amazing how easy your body adapts to eating the right things! Our bodies are amazing machines!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Yup. I used to crave soda; have 3-4 sometimes 5 a day. Now I have no desire to have even a sip. Granted, I've never had a huge sweet tooth, but there were also certain sweets I could count on when I was stressed; even those don't appeal to me anymore. I've found other healthier, great tasting options so I don't even miss my ol' favs.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about that today too, we went to a birthday party and I had a cupcake and about half a cup of ice cream (which is a lot less than I used to eat). I couldn't finish the cupcake - I had to remove the icing - way to sweet. Plus I ended up with a stomache ache after eating that much. Kinda made me realize how much I had grown accustomed to eating that sort of stuff before and how good I feel when I don't eat that!
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sweet tea was my failing and now I've been drinking tea either unsweetened or with one pack of splenda to a glass for about 3 weeks. When I poured a glass of the sweet tea from my husbands jug, it tasted terrible!! I was thrilled!
  • steve2375
    steve2375 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We ordered Pizza Hut Chicken Veggie Thin Crust Pizza the other day and we could hardly eat it because it tasted so salty! I also get an upset stomach when we go out to eat or eat sweets like Culver's frozen custard. It is amazing how crappy I feel when I eat the "old" way. ugh!!!
  • Ashleigh_75
    Options
    Man I can't wait to feel that way! How long do the cravings generally last before you no longer wanted to eat sugar/salt, etc.? I'm addicted to all of it. Just a plain ol' junk-food junkie.
  • AllisonMS
    AllisonMS Posts: 104
    Options
    Same for me. A few weeks ago, I was making chocolate truffles for a party, and ate just one - and felt awful afterward. The dark chocolate, cream, butter...yuck.

Now, I still eat 3 or 4 Hershey's kisses everyday, so I'm not completely off chocolate, but I was surprised by how gross I felt eating what used to be such a beautiful treat.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Man I can't wait to feel that way! How long do the cravings generally last before you no longer wanted to eat sugar/salt, etc.? I'm addicted to all of it. Just a plain ol' junk-food junkie.

It took me less than a month... but, I truly ate no junk food in that month... no junk food substitutes either (BAKED chips, frozen yogurt, etc.) - I ate fruits, veggies, lean meats and grains and other than my morning coffee with 2 tsp sugar - only water to drink. People do all these crazy cleanses to rid their body of the junk so that they don't crave things... eat well and your body will naturally rid itself of the cravings.... it WANTS to be healthy! Good luck!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

It took me less than a month... but, I truly ate no junk food in that month... no junk food substitutes either (BAKED chips, frozen yogurt, etc.) - I ate fruits, veggies, lean meats and grains and other than my morning coffee with 2 tsp sugar - only water to drink. People do all these crazy cleanses to rid their body of the junk so that they don't crave things... eat well and your body will naturally rid itself of the cravings.... it WANTS to be healthy! Good luck!

I agree it only takes about three weeks if you cut it out completely - soon you'll start noticing a big difference when you have a "cheat" Bad things just don't taste as good anymore - your body is craving healthy food!