Never know what to say.......

Options
When someone's diary is not very good. When someone has done well I comment a lot and say well done etc. But when someone has not done well I never know what to say! So I tend not to say anything, I am not a mean person and do not want to offend anyone. Does anyone else feel the same as me sometimes??

Replies

• vicktoria339
    Options
    I dont say anything usually - unless someone has had ten beers or something, or logged everything hat they ate on a cheat day - then ill put 'yum!' or something ....think people are to be commended tho, when they went over by lots and still write it all down. Its very brave - and more than i do!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless they ask.. just leave it alone.

It's not your place to tell them what they should and shouldn't do.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, makes me wonder if that's why people have been so quiet on my diary lately :laugh: I personally still try to be encouraging, you know...tomorrow's a new day, shake it off and start again, something like that :smile:
  • butterflyqueen1984
    butterflyqueen1984 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, makes me wonder if that's why people have been so quiet on my diary lately :laugh: I personally still try to be encouraging, you know...tomorrow's a new day, shake it off and start again, something like that :smile:

Yeah I do say that sometimes, but I do agree as well that it's not really my business why they are messing up. Suppose just want to be a good friend!
  • jono2970
    Options
    I think it is always best to be honest, in the long run, it is helpful, so long as you are not brutal in your honest approach! People have to be able to take honest critique!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'll only make comments if people have for this for support (say trying to cut down on pizza/fast food/chocolate/beer or whatever). Otherwise I think it's none of my business. And I agree about being positive about people who log honestly - it's a brave and difficult thing to do.

I was surprised when I first joined by people who had what I'd think of as quite a poor diet (ready meals, few fruits and veg etc) but there's already a lot of advice on this site and I figure if they're friends they'll ask for any suggestions they might want. If it's a very persistent pattern I might ask a question about it, about I wouldn't be critical.

After all my diet's not perfect either!
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    I just wouldn't comment on it. I had a bad few days when I just binged. I had been doing well after eating 1200 calories for 5 1/2 months but then for a week I ate really fattening junk food and I obviously felt really, really awful about it. If somebody had commented telling me I ought to eat better if I was serious about losing weight, I probably would have binged even more and just given up. Instead I've managed to get back to eating better after that slip-up.

If I see someone constantly eating badly (like takeouts everyday) and adding hours of housework as exercise where they burn 1000+ calories, I do wonder whether they'll be able to lose weight but I don't comment. I think it's not my business to do so. If however, they were to ask why they aren't losing weight then perhaps I would suggest something.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When someone's diary is not very good. When someone has done well I comment a lot and say well done etc. But when someone has not done well I never know what to say! So I tend not to say anything, I am not a mean person and do not want to offend anyone. Does anyone else feel the same as me sometimes??

It's hard because you're afraid they might be offended. You don't have to say anything and I'm sure if they went ahead and posted it .. they're ready to be slammed I suppose.

Don't feel bad not commenting .. and if you feel you should .. then encourage them and say .. oh man .. look at that delicious dinner you had (maybe they went out to dinner .. or were invited to someone's dinner party for their b-day or anniversary). Tomorrow is a new day -- one day isn't gonna hurt ya. You've put in all kinds of great effort before ..

Never know .. maybe they planned that event/day to go over .. :flowerforyou: