Fitting in exercise with a busy schedule?!?

Options
Hi there :) Im Jemma, and Im hoping to start a new healthy lifestyle - But I need help!

Im all for eating healthy, but I also want to start fitting in regular exercise into my routine. The problem is, I work 6 days a week, from around 8:30am until 6:00pm. I am exhausted, all the time!
I need any suggestions, tips or tricks people could give me on how to fit in exercise, even with my busy schedule. Even in small doses so that it wont feel impossible!

Anything would help! :)

Replies

• jono2970
    Options
    I'm pretty certain you won't do evening exercise after such a long day. Do you think you could do a workout say 6-6:30am? I think that's the only way to approach. I am wishing you luck!
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I work long days myself, 6:30am-5:00pm. I just decided that as much as I'd rather stay in bed, I can get up earlier and go to the gym or do a DVD. And so I do. If you are able to pull that off, it might be the best way to fit it in. I find if I hold exercise off until the end of the day, I'm tired from work and more willing to skip. But if I do it in the morning, I actually feel *better* all day, energized, and rarin' to go!
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts work the best for me when I have a busy day! I usually have more energy after a good workout! I heard 10 Minute Trainer is really good! Best Wishes!
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    you could try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, its only 20 min long, its over before you know it. i watch it on youtube :)
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I would start with a small goal of what exercise you want to try and maybe select 2 or 3 days that you will workout or even walk before or after work. I called my days Y days and I go almost no matter what. I work full time and volunteer. Plus married and have two sons although one is grown now but still at home. I go at least 3 times a week and still pretty much stick with its. Y day and I don't care but I am going.
  • LMSCROGG
    LMSCROGG Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Getting up early is always good and even start working out on the one day you have off. Could you go straight to a gym after work even if only 30 minutes? Or the first 3 minutes when you get home?
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    A while ago I was in the 'zone'. I would do everything that needed doing and then go for a run between 1 and 2 am before getting up between 6 and 6:30am to go to work.

I just CAN'T do it at the moment!

For now the best I can do is moving fast from one job to another while I'm at work... For that I wear flat shoes! I also try to walk places instead of driving if I can manage it.

I'm not managing to get any other expercise in.
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Do your cardio in the morning before breakfast -- stick to 20 mins tops -- this will boost your metabolism and get you a jumpstart on the the day. Then find a 3-4 day program of some resistance training routine (bodyweight, weights, kettllebells) to do throughout the week. Structure your workout/rest days so that they line up with your weekends / non-work days.

If you want it bad enough you'll find the time. How many hours of TV / internet surfing do you do a week?
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    you could try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, its only 20 min long, its over before you know it. i watch it on youtube :)

REALLY recommend this!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i would love to start work at 8:30am. i'd be at the gym when it opens at 6 and get in a solid hour work out, and then still have a half hour to shower and change and then an hour to get to work.

we all have been given the same amount of time every day. we are all busy. if you really want to work out, you will find the time.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree, get into a routine of going to bed a little earlier and working out in the morning, it leaves you feeling great and energised for the day and you sleep much better. I just start doing it (I was always a late to bed and stay in bed as long as possible kinda person) and I feel amazing!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    There aren't any tricks so to speak. You just have to make it a priority. I work mon-fri 8-4:30, and I have a 4 year old. My Husband works out of town all week, so I can't leave in the morning before my son gets up. So I bought weights and get up at 5 am to lift. I've been doing C25K as well, so on run days I go after work before I pick my son up.

It wasn't an automatic thing. I had to work at it, to find what I could stick with. I'm not a morning person at all, so at first getting up early was hard. But if you want to make the changes you will. Just play around with it, and see what works for you, that you can stick with. :flowerforyou:
  • neneboricua
    neneboricua Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Another option is to do your workout at lunch time. Depending on the type of job you have, this may or may not be a good option.

I have an office job. For the next 2 months, I'm working 10hrs/day, 6 days per week. I do 2hr workouts at lunch. I've arranged it with my boss that I get in an hour early and leave an hour late so I can do a solid 2hr workout. My lunch break is used to change/shower. I bring lunch from home and eat at my desk while working. This means that I get in to work at 8am and leave at 9pm. With such long hours, the company caters dinner, but the food they have is typically not that good for you or appetizing, so my wife (heaven-sent that she is) brings me dinner or I bring my own dinner when I'm working that late.

For me, it's worth it. Working out at lunch is a good break in the day. Makes the long days seem more like 2 short(ish) days. I find that I feel more energetic in the afternoon when most people are starting to drag. I'm not a morning person and when I get home in the evening I'm literally done, so evening workouts suck for me.
  • dlpoisson
    dlpoisson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi - I also work 6 days a week and then have to come home and take care of my aging mom, clean house, husband, dog, bird, etc..... But, I still make it a priority to exercise. I usually get up between 5 and 5:45 and eat something light and then exercise. Most of my workouts are 30-40 minutes long. I have over 100 Exercise DVD's to choose from and some are just 8 to 10 minutes long. If you exercise effectively, you don't need to do long workouts. If you have any questions on any specific DVD's, please let me know!

There was a time that I was getting up much earlier to get my workouts done by 6:15 am each morning, but losing out on that extra hour of sleep wasn't worth it in my opinion. So now, I do more at night and less in the mornings to get that little extra bit of sleep in.

Also, make sure it is something you like to do. If it a workout that you don't enjoy doing, it will be harder to get up. For example, I truly dislike most high-impact workouts, so I do mainly strength training and that works very well for me.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I work 8:30 - 5:30pm and when I get off work I just don't feel like working out. After some trial and error I found that mornings work best for me. I get up at round 6am and work out for 45 minutes to an hour four mornings a week. If you're not a morning person it helps putting the alarm in another room, I had to do this for awhile or I would hit the snooze button for a half hour. You can also try fitting in short walks during your lunch break.
  • CaptainCranky
    CaptainCranky Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I usually try to do some push-ups and sit ups the first thing when I get home, before I start anything else. I just tell myself I'm only going to do 5 minutes of exercise but I usually end up doing more.
  • jemmamorgan
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has posted, its a great way to motivate me and some suggestions are really awesome. I'll take everything on board. Im really gona try get up early and fit early work outs into my routine, I guess Im just really worried, as I usually get like 6 hours sleep, and Im still tired, so even less is scary lol.
    But to be honest it does sound a million times better to do it in the morning than attempt it at night!
    Thank you everyone x
  • mdamrow
    mdamrow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try working out in the morning. That's what I did when I first started and found lots of excuses when I got home from work. I also do a lot of 20 minute Jillian Michaels or Denise Austin videos because I feel like they give me a good workout, but aren't time consuming. Good Luck!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    stop making excuses...

most gyms open around 5 or 6 am so you can get in there and workout if you really want to shower at the gym then off to work
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Good idea. If I couldn't do it first thing in the morning, then a short, intensive session after work would be my second choice. :)