Sweet Potatos

Options
sarahricks
sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
Hey, How do you guys cook your sweet potatos? I have a bunch of them and never really had them growing up. I just want to know how you like to cook them or eat them.

Replies

• marii92
    marii92 Posts: 77
    Options
    =]
    Wash them, chop off the ends and place them in water in a saucepan and boil. To see if it's done, poke a knife into it, it should be soft and mushy (like normal potatoes :P). But you can bake them as well. I think it's just like making a normal potato.

Hope that helps =]
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    bake them! they are so good for you!
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Cut into french fries and bake in the oven. Sprinkle with seasoning when almost done or at the end of cooking. :)
  • kfsooner
    kfsooner Posts: 40
    Options
    I just cooked one last night. Wash and pierce with a fork 5 - 6 times. Place on a paper towel on a microwaveable plate. Cook 4-5 minutes per side on high, turning over once. After scooping out the insides, I added a little margarine, TBS of maple syrup and cinnamon to taste and made mashed sweet potato!!
  • melissa0724
    Options
    I usually prepare them two ways:
    Cut up:
    1) Preheat oven to 425F
    2) Wash the potatoes well & peel them.
    3) Cut the potato widthwise so you have 3/4" thick "coins" then quarter the coins. (Don't make the pieces too small otherwise they will stick to the pan and don't manke them too big or they will take forver to bake!)
    4) Place cut potatoes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil (or any oil you normally use) shake them around in the bowl or stir them up - use enough oil to coat all the pieces (if you use too little oil they might stick to the pan)
    5) Place on a sheet pan that's large enough to accomodate all the pieces - pieces should not be touching or overlaping - spread them out evenly.
    6) Bake at 425F for 25 - 30 min or until fork tender.

or
    Whole:
    1) Preheat oven to 400F
    2) Wash potatoes well
    3) Rub some oil and kosher salt on the outside of the potato
    4) Pierce the potatoes with a fork several times
    5) Bake for 1 hour at 400F

Enjoy!!
  • coniconstance
    coniconstance Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Baking tastes the best.. but microwave works when ur in a hurry. This is my FAVORITE food!
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    i poke holes in them and just nuke it in the microwave for 4 minutes. im making it right now and gonna put it in my oatmeal. good preworkout meal!
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot. This gives me alot of ideas to try out. I love this site.
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Use a small baking pan, put 1Tbl oil in to coat pan. Peel yam (sweet potato) cut in 1" pieces, put in pan, coat the yam with the oil in pan. Sprinkle cinnamon, pumkin pie spice, nutmeg, 1-2 packets of splenda on yams. Mix with oil and seasonings. Bake 375 degrees about 30-40 minutes. Enjoy, tastes like pumpkin pie. :bigsmile:
  • sonnacchio
    sonnacchio Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like to: bake them like a regular baked potato, scoop them out, mash it up with a tablespoon of butter, transfer it mashed to a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. In another small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon melted butter with 1/3 c. brown sugar and 1/4 c. chopped walnuts. Sprinkle this on top of the mashed sweet potato and bake until it is bubbly. YUM!
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    Ok, I don't know how good this is because I've never actually tried it, but I have heard a couple people on here say that cottage cheese is good on top of them...?
  • cindyss
    cindyss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just boil them with a little salt ( like you would if you were making potato salad) I've actually had potato salad made with both sweet and white potatoes, mm good!!
  • radh
    radh Posts: 2
    Options
    We have 2 favorite ways to make sweet potatoes.
    One is to scrub them and cut into about 1 inch "coins." Coat both sides of potato with EVOO and place on heavy baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Bake in 405* oven for about 25-30 minutes. Delish!
    The other way is to peel, cut into chunks and boil until tender. Drain water and mash with electric mixer. Add a few pats of butter and enjoy! Also delish!
  • alm0917
    alm0917 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually just poke mine with a fork and then pop them in the microwave until they feel soft. I them cut them in half and flip them skin side up on a plate and mash them flat. The peel comes right off. Much easier than scooping them out. Add a few sprays of no calorie Parkay butter and some sea salt...yum!

I've also washed, peeled and then sliced them into "fries." Then add some EVOO or cooking spray (canola flavor, I think) and then shake them in some bread crumbs and bake in the oven. I was baking something else that had to be at 375 and the "fries" turned out pretty good but I am going to try a higher temperature to see if I can get them more crispy on the outside.
  • michaelsdavies
    michaelsdavies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    First post! Hey.
    I'm a sweet potato fiend, I have them most days! I get a medium sized potato, peel the bugger (I'm a man - peeling does not come naturally to these hands), chop them into chip-shapes (I cut them slightly smaller than I used to - they take longer to eat!) and boil them for 6 minutes until they're nice and soft. Spray a baking tray with fry-light spray (that stuff is amazing!) and I sprinkle some chili flakes, oregano and chili power (I'm also a spicy fiend), then throw the potatoes on the tray and make sure they're nicely covered with fry-light and nice spices.

Bung them in the oven as hot as it'll go for around 20 minutes, although I check and turn them regularly after 12 minutes, need to get them crispy without going too far and burning them! I have them for lunch with 1tbsp of reduced sugar/salt ketchup, and it comes in to about 190 cals, provided you've got about 150g of sweet potato. Very filling!

Apologies for the sheer amount of brackets used just now, my post must read quite badly! I've lost 34 pounds so far, since Jan 17th. Still a long way to go (I'm 18 stone 7lbs right now) - the sweet potato has really helped me to stay full since I've cut out bread!

Thanks guys, great forum - I've found myself gaining positivity from many posts on here in times where I've just wanted to go and eat 10 pizzas.

Michael
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yummy, can't wait to do them this way! :smile:
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas bumping for later :bigsmile: