HELP! Cough after running?

Options
Hi guys! I joined the Navy, and I'm supposed to leave for boot camp TOMORROW!

Friday morning I felt totally fine, then I had to go do my pre-boot camp physical assessment for my recruiter. I did my 1.5 mile run outside, where it was really windy. After my run I started coughing. At first I just thought it was from the cold air, it's only like 40 degrees outside. It's also spring time so I'm a little stuffy from seasonal allergies and I thought maybe some stuff drained into my lungs while I was running.

Strangely though, the cough isn't going away, and it's been like 24 hours. I've never had this happen before but I usually run inside, not outside. The cough is really deep and I can feel stuff rattling around in my chest. Normally I'd think I had a cold or something, but it was just too coincidental that I was FINE before the run and immediately afterward I couldn't stop coughing.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm really hoping it's not like pneumonia or something, I had that last fall and the cough sounded similar to this. Could it just be from exerting myself in the cold? I leave for boot camp tomorrow! Help!

Replies

• DamienRiceFan
    Options
    Do you have asthma? Many people that have allergies also suffer from asthma.
  • DamienRiceFan
    Options
    And Good Luck with Boot Camp!
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    It could be asthma related. But if you're feeling fluid in your lungs you should definately see a doctor. That almost sounds like it could be turning into pneumonia.
  • jdejre_k
    jdejre_k Posts: 54
    Options
    I get the same thing when I jog outside. Dr said it was asthma and gave me an inhaler. Now I use the inhaler before I jog as a preventative measure and I have not had the problem since.

As a side note, I never had asthma or allergies growing up. My Dr said that one can suddenly develop them in adulthood.
  • jezziebelle
    Options
    I've never had a problem with asthma before and I REEEEEEEEEEALLY hope that is not what this is, because if I develop asthma I'll be medically discharged. :(
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with asthma before and I REEEEEEEEEEALLY hope that is not what this is, because if I develop asthma I'll be medically discharged. :(
    I went through ROTC in college and before college I never ran. In college we ran A LOT, and I had that problem just about after every hard run I did; didn't matter the weather although I do recall it was worse when it was cold. And yes, it would last all day and sometimes well into the second day. I've never had asthma and I don't have that coughing any more - it went away once my body got conditioned to the running & cardio I was doing. It could be a fluke and weather/seasonal related, so for now I wouldn't worry about it. If you're still coughing after a week, then I would suggest seeing a doctor as it could be something else.

EDIT: I do recall it flared up when I PCS'd from a hot dry climate to a hot and VERY humid climate. But my body acclimated very quickly and it went away. Hopefully my experiences gives you some hope in the matter! Good luck with boot camp!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I cough and have a runny nose when I run in cold and humid weather. It usually clears up after the run though. Maybe you just happened to catch a cold? If you have a chest cold, you should go see your doctor. I get severe Reactive Airway Disease when I catch a chest cold. It's like asthma but only lasts until the congestion is gone from my lungs.
  • bolsen21
    bolsen21 Posts: 22
    Options
    as some who has been a soldier, do not tell meps, that will disqualify you. After you actually get into basic go to sick call and tell they you noticed this... you should get a profile and inhaler. GOOD LUCK!!
  • bolsen21
    Options
    oh and take whever you get from the doctor at home with you... you might be able to get away with it for a while........
  • jezziebelle
    Options
    I haven't gone to a doctor, I'm really hoping it's just a reaction to the cold air and such and that it clears up before I get to MEPS Monday morning. My recruiter said as long as it's just a cough and I don't feel sick I should be okay.... but to try to do everything I can to get rid of it before then. Why did this have to happen right now?! Ugh.
  • bolsen21
    Options
    menthol halls like crazy girl!!
  • bolsen21
    Options
    there are people, lots of people in the army with asthma...as long as it doesn't prohibit from doing duties you'll be fine... i know lots of people with permanent profiles for asthma. but i do agree with the ROTC guy. your just not used to running that fast for that long. give yourself a chance if you cough at meps you have the common cold. after i run sometimes i cough because I'm not used to it anymore.
  • MisScorpio
    Options
    Today i ran in the cold. I'm a new runner and it is only my 6th time actually running. It was cold 38* and extremely windy. I felt fine. Got a runny nose during but after found myself coughing. It too sounds as if something is shaking around. I still feel perfectly fine. I do see a Dr tomorrow for a random checkup and i plan to ask her. Just to be safe. I think next time i run in the cold i will buy a runners face mask. I was using my thick ear head band over my mouth & nose to breath in warmer air. I don't have asthma at all. I think it was just the cold. I workout a lot but mostly indoors and on the elliptical for 1- 2 hrs at a time. Maybe it is bc our lungs are not use to the weather. Best luck!