Foods that will keep you full

Options
2»

Replies

• teryx123
    teryx123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Two foods I have found that work wonders are pinto beans and steel cut oats (not rolled oats!). Both of them have a very stabilizing effect on blood sugar so they prevent glycemic spikes. I eat beans for breakfast with a little salsa, along with other things almost every day. I cook a big batch and freeze what I don't eat right away. I also cook steel cut oats in batches because the cook time is long.

The worst foods I have found are cereal, starchy stuff like potatoes, bread, and anything with sugar in it. These items are almost eliminated from my diet.

I have also found that getting adequate protein in the morning meal sets me up for a much more stable day hunger wise.
  • Powergirl123
    Options
    just get a can of chunk light tuna and triscuit crackers ( i prefer rosemary olive oil) its a great satisfing snack
  • hpsNcrvs
    Options
    Alot of people eliminate white potatoes..I guess I don't get this..I LOVE potatoes. A big baked potato for breakfast, mixed with scrambled egg..onion..garlic..bacon bits..and sprinkled with sharp cheddar chz....yummmm. Seriously, it's absolutely delicious..and it keeps me satisfied til dinner time. Since dinner is always before 5pm..it works out just great. I try not to eat after 6.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Almond-coconut milk( unsweetened vanilla) with protein powder and frozen fruit, blend for a yummy smoothie. Pumpkin puree with protein powder and egg whites, sweetened with stevia and flavored with pumpkin pie spice, microwaved in a mug for 1-2 minutes. Egg beaters or real eggs scrambled with lots of spinach and a little feta cheese.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Depends on why you're not feeling quite satisfied... try more fiber, water and/or protein. If you've cut out too much fat or carbs, that can also be a problem. (If fish is helping, it could be due to the protein or the "healthy" fats.) I wrote a blog entry that was really about cravings more than that slightly unsatisfied feeling, but it still explores some of the reasons... see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817 (and please give it a "up" vote if it's helpful).

P.S. Congratulations on the weight and inches lost already!
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    I'd recommend high protein, low carb.
    Egg whites
    Protein Shakes
    Cottage Cheese (yes, it has dairy, but plenty of protein to keep you full)
    Oats 1/2 cup
    Spinach
    almonds
    brown rice

I also eat 5-6 small meals per day which keeps me full and gives me the right amount of nutrients each day. :)
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I am going to agree with the oatmeal! I eat it some every morning with greek yogurt and it does a pretty good job of keeping me satisfied until I eat a snack a few hours later before my workout.

Also, eggs are filling.
    Someone mentioned fish (tuna/salmon) and that fills me up, as do most lean protein (turkey and chicken are staples in my diet, as well) and I try including lots of hearty veggies with my protein (like Brussels sprouts, squash, or even a salad with dark greens/spinach) The combination fills me up and keeps me full for awhile. :)
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like light cheese sticks when I need an extra little something. The protein works to keep me fuller with my meal and it's only 50 calories :)
  • pickledginger
    Options
    White potatoes make my blood sugar crash, and then things get ugly.

But sweet potatoes totally rock; high fiber, high nutrition, low GI, easy to cook. Squash is good, too.

Barley is as filling as a filling thing.

Edamame -- cooked green soybeans -- make a great snack or meal. I get them frozen and pre-hulled, in single-serve packs. Portable, filling, nutritious.

Friendship cottage cheese is great -- I get the low-fat whipped version, usually.

Lentils or black beans can be good. Buckwheat is very satisfying.

Guacamole or pure avocado.

Soups are good. Big salads. Steamed or microwaved greens or broccoli, maybe with a little parmesan.

Celery and radishes have a nice crunch and a little sweetness -- at least when fresh -- and make good munchies.
  • lotusspark
    Options
    i don't know if anyone said popcorn.