What's Your Salad?

Options
Been eating salads for lunch daily because the calories are low, but now that winter is here I find the raw veggies, well just too cold. So I have been grilling peppers, onions, cauliflower, snap peas, jalapeno and zucchini to put on top of my spinash...is this just as healthy as raw veggies? Sometimes I add some deli turkey for protein then sprinkle with Hot Mama's Hot sauce.

Any of your suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Like you, I add deli turkey for protein. I also like fat-free feta on my salads. How about a warm low cal dressing? Are there any out there?
  • fitmommy2013
    fitmommy2013 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am Looking for a Yummy salad idea.... since i do not like many veggies. help please ?
  • pixeldust
    Options
    I add chopped hard boiled egg to mine, as well as feta, pine nuts, sunflower seeds and avocado.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I take about a fistful of romaine.
    Then about 8-14oz of sliced sirloin steak
    about 1/2 cup blue cheese
    caramelized onions

and dress it with red wine vinaigrette + Worcestershire sauce.
  • steelmaggie228
    steelmaggie228 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Siracha!! I actually whip up my own dressing- light mayo, siracha, sesame oil, garlic salt and pepper.

I'm a vegetarian, so I use diced veggie burger in my salads to warm them up and of course siracha, the best hot sauce ever :heart:
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I put a hard boiled egg with the yolk on my salad, as well - and sometimes avocado.
    And a salad is never really a salad for me unless there is tomato on it.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well I like to cook up some chicken breast with chicken taco seasoning and broth in a slow cooker and have it on hand for a few days. Then I make salads of shredded chicken breast on spinach or spring mix with any combo of tomatoes, black beans, corn, green onions, avocado, black olives, mini peppers, lower fat shredded cheese, etc. (whatever I have around and depending on how much of a meal I want it to be) and use picante and Daisy brand light sour cream for dressing. You could grill the peppers first if you liked.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I like warm root veggie salads in the winter like this one (copied from Smitten Kitchen at http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/01/warm-butternut-squash-and-chickpea-salad/):

Warm Butternut and Chickpea Salad with Tahini Dressing
    Adapted from Orangette, who adapted it from Casa Moro

Yield: 4 servings

For salad:
    1 medium butternut squash (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
    1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed
    1/2 teaspoons ground allspice (I skip this)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt
    One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups)
    1/4 of a medium red onion, finely chopped
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

For tahini dressing:
    1 medium garlic clove, finely minced with a pinch of salt
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    3 tablespoons well-stirred tahini
    2 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to taste

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

In a large bowl, combine the butternut squash, garlic, allspice, olive oil, and a few pinches of salt. Toss the squash pieces until evenly coated. Roast them on a baking sheet for 25 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the oven and cool.

Meanwhile, make the tahini dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic and lemon juice. Add the tahini, and whisk to blend. Add the water and olive oil, whisk well, and taste for seasoning. The sauce should have plenty of nutty tahini flavor, but also a little kick of lemon. You will probably need to add more water to thin it out.

To assemble the salad, combine the squash, chickpeas, onion, and cilantro or parsley in a mixing bowl. Either add the tahini dressing to taste, and toss carefully, or you could serve the salad with the dressing on the side. Serve immediately.

Do ahead: Molly says this salad, lightly dressed, keeps beautifully in the fridge, that you should hold a little of the dressing on the side and that it can be reheated in the microwave. I, for one, have never had any leftovers.
  • Teachinjen
    Teachinjen Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I made this salad with grilled tilapia, shrimp, cucumber, avocado, butter bliss lettuce leaves, wanton strips, light crumbled goat cheese and salsa for the dressing( not pictured), ....Delish!

IMAG0295.jpg
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I made this salad with grilled tilapia, shrimp, cucumber avocado, butter bliss lettuce leaves, wanton strips, light crumbled goat cheese and salsa for the dressing( not pictured), ....Delish!

IMAG0295.jpg

OMG, licking the screen. Drool.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Sardine salad.

1024.jpg?md=1355044265000

Lamb heart salad. BACON wrapped lamb heart.

1024.jpg?md=1355045367000
  • naveed1naveed
    Options
    All what
    green and white is
    and taste like acid
    smell like fresh oxygen with a bit old nitrogen
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i suspect i'll be eating less salad from now on, because the company (renee's) that made me favourite dressing just stopped making it (grrrrr) and all the other similar ones are at least twice the calories.

anyway, i usually use a whole lot of remain and fresh cut veggies (carrot, celery, cucumber), cut-up baked breaded chicken fingers, a bit of cheese, and that's that. alternatively, you could use baked salmon, or if you're looking for something to warm you up a bit, perhaps a taco salad?
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Salad of my week:

Baby greens
    Craisens
    Feta
    Pecans
    Nonfat cranberry balsamic dressing

Veggies, fruit, dairy and protein :bigsmile:
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I take about a fistful of romaine.
    Then about 8-14oz of sliced sirloin steak
    about 1/2 cup blue cheese
    caramelized onions

and dress it with red wine vinaigrette + Worcestershire sauce.

NOM. I have steak in my freezer and I'm SO using it for this!!
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    * Half a bag (60 grams) of mixed baby spinach and rocket
    * 100 grams of baby tomatoes cut in half
    * 50 grams of low fat fetta
    * 100 grams of grilled chicken
    * 30 mL warmed no fat balsamic dressing

Tasty!
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    I like baby spinach, hard boiled egg, chick peas, bacon bits, cucumber, tomato, and just enough dressing to add a little flavor.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Roasted pumpkin cubes - roasting makes them sweet and soft
    Mesculin / lettuce / baby spinach - whatever
    Danish feta
    Sun dried tomatoes (pat them with a paper towel to get the worst of the oil off)
    Don't need dressing because the oil from the tomatoes spreads around
    Heaven
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and my usual salad combination is:
    Rocket and spinach
    Cucumber slices
    Grated or cubed carrot
    Radishes
    Beetroot (if I have time I roast it)
    Either half an avocado or some cubed silken or firm tofu
    And either a splash of soy sauce and pepper to season, or a squeeze of lemon juice (:
  • bobbyrosegr2000
    Options
    My daily salad, around 19 dollars for five days!

1 cup of baby spinach
    3/4 tomato
    Cucumber
    Low Fat feta
    Sliced Olivers
    Protein - Falafal, Chicken, Tuna

280CAL - Keeps me full.

I prepackage everything on Sunday making it easier to get through the day!