Losing weight but not inches

Options
I'm a little confused about this one, I've lost almost 5kg since I started but my measurements are still the same.

Any idea how much I would have to lose before I start to notice a difference?

Replies

• hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising too? I have lost 2 kg but because of the exercise have lost 4 inches of my waist. A friend measures me so I know it is right.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The main problem with measurement is:

- it is virtually impossible to take them in exactly the same place using exactly the same tension each time, and
    - they are only at certain points

So, you have inconsistencies with measuring and may also have weight come off areas you are not measuring, wrists, ankles, shoulder area, neck for example.

It is hard to say when you will be able to tell a difference as it depends on your fat distribution and where the weight is coming off.

ETA: be patient, if the weight is coming off, the inches will also.
  • Mr_Stephenson
    Mr_Stephenson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I exercise 3-4 times a week for at least 40 minutes per session at the moment, thanks to having freckles I can get pretty much the same place for measurement each time.

I have to admit I have not measured wrists and ankles focusing only on only calves, chest, hips stomach, thighs, calves and neck.

Most of my weight/fat appears to be right around the middle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I exercise 3-4 times a week for at least 40 minutes per session at the moment, thanks to having freckles I can get pretty much the same place for measurement each time.

I have to admit I have not measured wrists and ankles focusing only on only calves, chest, hips stomach, thighs, calves and neck.

Most of my weight/fat appears to be right around the middle.

My best suggestion, although probably annoying, is be patient. If you are losing weight, the inches will follow.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    It depends on how heavy you are and how high is your body fat percentage. The more fat you have, the longer it will take you to notice the difference. If you are obese then losing 5kg isn't enough to actually notice the difference. Also I heard that you need to lose about 9kg or 20 pounds to lose one clothes size but of course like what I said, that depends on the amount of your body fat percentage.

I know how frustrating it can be to not see the inches go away but in this journey, you have to be more patient. Remember patience is a virtue.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It depends how big you were in the beginning before losing 5kg. A mans most stubborn fat deposit is usually around the waist area, so 5kg might not mean anything to your trouser size.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    First, that's not a whole lot of weight. Second, you probably lost it from somewhere that you didn't measure. It could even be in a non-visible area.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Between this picture

6193387278_203e3ae38c.jpg
    Photo 009 by yanicka.hachez, on Flickr

And this picture

6963199857_66a6f50499.jpg
    11614737_104 by yanicka.hachez, on Flickr

There is no changes in my measurement ? It is not that nothing is happening......only that the tools we have are inadequate.

Don't worry about it for now.

Good luck
  • Mr_Stephenson
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I shall just have to stay patient and follow the plan :)
  • Mr_Stephenson
    Options
    Also thanks Yanicka the photo makes it more clear, still more of a photo A than a B myself :)