Birth Control Decision

Options
I have taken the pill for about 6 months now, I had gained 20 pounds when I started it. Im not "active" at all and I don't plan to be for a while. I decided yesterday to stop taking it. It may help me lose the weight, but if not thats okay, Im still going to use MFP. Anybody been in this situation too?

Replies

• borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to know if stopping the pill helps shed the weight...hmmm?
  • abjornlie
    Options
    I would just change your birth control pill. I've been on 5 different kinds until I found Seasonique, it didn't make me gain any weight. I'm not thinking that by stopping it will make you shed the weight since it's hormonal. Change the brand of pill an hopefully you will be on your way to success!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that the pill does not cause weight gain.
  • chelsinicole
    Options
    Ive been told this too, but when I started I didnt change my eating habits, which made me gain weight somehow. And I have tried seasonique and It made me go crazy haha Im now on the generic, I am sick of it, and I dont want to take it anymore. So this is something I decided not because of my weight.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    When I was about 19 I took the pill. I stopped taking it because it made me gain weight! I was only 110 pounds at the time and I noticed it fast! Once I stopped I lost the weight I gained. It wasn't massive weight gain or anything, but enough to make me and my friends notice. I'm kinda weird ever since then, I don't like any pills at all! Once I noticed that it had that kind of effect on me I look for natural cures. Natrual birth control can be a bit tricky though... LOL Large does like wild carrot seeds, wild yams and such have been shown to be 99% effective.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Ive been told this too, but when I started I didnt change my eating habits, which made me gain weight somehow. And I have tried seasonique and It made me go crazy haha Im now on the generic, I am sick of it, and I dont want to take it anymore. So this is something I decided not because of my weight.

When I started BC pill I grew 2 bra sizes, are your breast bigger? Probably just water weight. Cant possibly be fat.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I gained weight too on BC. That's why I quit. I only took it for three months and I had gained about 5 pounds a month. When I stopped I lost it very fast.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My cellulite on my thighs goes away when I stop taking it. Weird huh? Oh well, gotta be protected. :heart:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It just takes some time to find the BC pill that works best for you. I wouldn't give up. I would just try a different one. I've tried a MILLION of them and finally settled on Yaz. No weight gain with this one and I haven't had any problems losing weight. Plus it clears up my skin nicely.

I tried Seasonale and that made me gain lots of weight. Tiphasil was good. Othro-tri-lo was alright....and the list goes on and on....

Foe me....a couple pound weight gain is MUCH better than the alternative. No babies for me.
  • olney75
    olney75 Posts: 36
    Options
    I had that problem so after my daughter was born i got a copper IUD.....all the protection with out any hormones. That and i dont have to remember to take anything!!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Most Dr's won't give IUD's to people who have never had children before.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    There's a new IUD out that Doctors will give to even teens. It's not metal but it works great (according to the studies.) My nurse practitioner likes it a lot.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    There's a new IUD out that Doctors will give to even teens. It's not metal but it works great (according to the studies.) My nurse practitioner likes it a lot.

What's it called? I've heard horror stories about getting them put in though.......I'm definitely interested in getting an IUD. It sounds aweeeesooooome. No more pills!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds with any "pill" I tried. Being 41, I tried alot. The problem was the slight queesy feeling; I ate more to stop it.

Without the pill, I got pregnant pretty darn fast. Faster than my parents warned me.

Now, I use the Nuvaring. I don't get queesy and I haven't gained a pound from it. In fact, I can lose weight on it if I eat 1600 calories and exercise for 45 minutes.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds with any "pill" I tried. Being 41, I tried alot. The problem was the slight queesy feeling; I ate more to stop it.

Without the pill, I got pregnant pretty darn fast. Faster than my parents warned me.

Now, I use the Nuvaring. I don't get queesy and I haven't gained a pound from it. In fact, I can lose weight on it if I eat 1600 calories and exercise for 45 minutes.

I was contemplating the nuvaring also. You like it I take it? How often does it slip down?
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi Ice,

I've had 2 babies...and it's never slipped down on me. You can pull it out for a few hours while you and your partner play "ring toss" (lol).