Is there a difference between binge eating and over eating?

Options
Last night, I went over my calories by almost double lol and this morning I found so many messages like "it's okay! We all binge sometimes! Just get back on the wagon..." or "binge eating is SO hard to deal with!" and i replied saying it wasn't a wild binge, i just had people over and didnt really care what i ate. And most said "still a binge, whether it's conscious or not" I don't consider last night a binge. It's not like I couldn't control myself, I could but I decided not to. I dont regret it or anything either. Isn't a binge when you feel like you NEED food and can't stop? Or am I completely wrong and just making up my own definitions?

Replies

• plaingirly
    Options
    I would see a binge as more deliberate - where you intend to eat too much.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I think that the answer if going to vary, and I'm not sure any answer will be wrong. For some, a binge is any behavior taken to excess... which probably fits with your last night. For others, it's an episode of uncontrollable indulgence, which may not be your last night. Look at how often you engage in it, assess if it's interferring with your goals. You already checked your regret and you don't have any. Usually, when it's addiction (that we're aware of) we'd have the regret. You may be just fine, whether or not you call it a binge. I think that's the key isn't in term used. Binge is a behavior. Addiction is a pattern. A binge wouldn't necessarily be worrisome out of the context of a larger problem/issue/pattern.

Also remember, it's just a term, your friends probably mean no offense, it's likely just the language they use and they aren't intending to imply you have a bigger problem. Maybe for you, the term is more emotionally loaded than for them. And I don't know how big your "binge" was, but I know folks who can put away literally thousands of extra calories. I'm sure I did it in my day too, but just never tracked then. Not one, but 2-6 thousand. So even when using the same word... all is still relative. All that matters is being honest with ourselves.

Glad you had fun with your friends!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    My opinion: you did nothing wrong. Anyone attempting to shame you with back handed trite encouragement about binging is incorrect. Criticism veiled as encouragement.... what crap.

So, if I go to AUCE night for Snow Crab, and have well over my calorie limit as set by MFP, I'm a binge-er? Or if I indulge in high calorie yummy cocktails along with other normal snacks, I'm a binge-er? come on..... no. no. no.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    From wiki: Binge eating is a pattern of disordered eating which consists of episodes of uncontrollable eating. It is sometimes as a symptom of binge eating disorder or compulsive overeating disorder. During such binges, a person rapidly consumes an excessive amount of food. Most people who have eating binges try to hide this behavior from others, and often feel ashamed about being overweight or depressed about their overeating. Although people who do not have any eating disorder may occasionally experience episodes of overeating, frequent binge eating is often a symptom of an eating disorder.

From the last statement and from the association with other terms (such as drinking/shopping/tv watching), I would classify Binge eating w/o a disorder as eating in excess/ more than you need... Doesn't mean you did bc your calorie count was high but more did you keep eating after you were full...
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call that a "binge". I'm a binge eater, and when I binge, I don't actually WANT to eat, I just can't stop. I will literally have a stomach ache from the amount of food I've eaten....and keep going back for more! To the point where it physically hurts so much that I can almost throw up ( I do not throw up....just feel like I could). That is what I call a "binge".
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I think of overeating is just when you eat what is not normal for you but would be normal for someone with a different calorie budget. Such as eating 2400 calories instead of your normal 1600 because you went out and had a big bowl of pasta with cream sauce instead of grilled chicken and a big leafy salad. When I think of binging, I think of the person that ate a pint of icecream, half a pizza, 5 donuts, a bag of chips, 2 liters of soda, etc. all within just a couple hours and usually as a response to some stresser.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I think a binge is when you feel out of control, you can't stop yourself and it happens in a short space of time whereas when you overeat you know you're eating a little more, you intentionally do it. When I have binged, it's almost like I'm not really doing it, I don't realise until after the binge what I've done.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My opinion: you did nothing wrong. Anyone attempting to shame you with back handed trite encouragement about binging is incorrect. Criticism veiled as encouragement.... what crap.

So, if I go to AUCE night for Snow Crab, and have well over my calorie limit as set by MFP, I'm a binge-er? Or if I indulge in high calorie yummy cocktails along with other normal snacks, I'm a binge-er? come on..... no. no. no.

Absolutely this!
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think that the answer if going to vary, and I'm not sure any answer will be wrong. For some, a binge is any behavior taken to excess... which probably fits with your last night. For others, it's an episode of uncontrollable indulgence, which may not be your last night. Look at how often you engage in it, assess if it's interferring with your goals. You already checked your regret and you don't have any. Usually, when it's addiction (that we're aware of) we'd have the regret. You may be just fine, whether or not you call it a binge. I think that's the key isn't in term used. Binge is a behavior. Addiction is a pattern. A binge wouldn't necessarily be worrisome out of the context of a larger problem/issue/pattern.

Also remember, it's just a term, your friends probably mean no offense, it's likely just the language they use and they aren't intending to imply you have a bigger problem. Maybe for you, the term is more emotionally loaded than for them. And I don't know how big your "binge" was, but I know folks who can put away literally thousands of extra calories. I'm sure I did it in my day too, but just never tracked then. Not one, but 2-6 thousand. So even when using the same word... all is still relative. All that matters is being honest with ourselves.

Glad you had fun with your friends!

I love every word of this. Well said!!!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call that a "binge". I'm a binge eater, and when I binge, I don't actually WANT to eat, I just can't stop. I will literally have a stomach ache from the amount of food I've eaten....and keep going back for more! To the point where it physically hurts so much that I can almost throw up ( I do not throw up....just feel like I could). That is what I call a "binge".

I would agree with this. I've had problems with binge eating and actually had a day like this for the first time this week since I joined MFP. Ran right over and joined an eating disorder support group because I wondered if I was relapsing into one of my several eating disordered behaviors. Sigh.

But the common use of the word 'binge' is probably what your friends were referring to.

I separate the two just because of my history. Thanksgiving, I didn't really track, ate everything I wanted, and guestimated 3000 calories for the day to make sure I was covered. I don't think of that as a binge. The other day, I was tired, stressed, and hating myself for lots of non-food/diet related reasons and I stuffed myself beyond all reason and hunger. I did log it to see the damage and hopefully scare myself straight.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a high calorie day or telling yourself you're okay with a day or week of stalled / negative progress. I did this during thanksgiving weekend -- I basically said I'd stop counting calories for 5 days, enjoyed my parents home cooked food (stuff that I don't have the skills to make on my own). I did end up eating like crap part of the next week, so there's a danger in falling back to your old patterns; but as long as that's not a major issue then don't worry about it.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    This isn't a really "technical" explanation.... but I see the two as TOTALLY different!

I have a longggg history with binge eating. It's something where you can eat decent all day, but you have strong cravings to indulge. I've had periods where I would eat an entire sleeve of cookies, ice cream, 5 slices of pizza all in ONE sitting. It's like an uncontrollable (well, it IS controllable) thing where you just get an overwhelming feeling of the inability to stop. You're not hungry; you eat because you crave it. Or at least that's how I explain my binge eating.

Over-eating is completely different. Last night I overate on my calories, but not deliberately. I was out at dinner and had a little too much food. It's not like I was hiding in a closet with a pint of ice cream.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I generally do not overeat when I am at home and have control of everything around me, including what I buy.

That said, if I go out to restaurants with friends, people are passing around high calorie appetizers, and it's harder for me to pass up because it's right in front of me, does that constitute as a binge?

It's not psychological, I'm not trying to fulfill some deep rooted emotion - I'm just eating it because it's in front of me, I'm truly hungry, and it smells good.

Restaurants for me are the hardest places to stay on track because of all of the "free" food they put in front of you, like bread, chips, etc.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Looking at what you ate last night, I wouldn't call that a binge.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It's just a word, like 'cheat' day. I don't use either one because of the negative connotation. We all have days that we eat more than we should, and it's okay. One day or one meal won't de rail the entire journey. Move on to the next day, which will be better.
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you would KNOW if it was a binge. I don't like to classify myself as a 'binge eater'...but I probably am. It's not like over eating where you just want to indulge a little bit more...or a lot. It's more of a mental thing where you say to yourself...'I NEED this food or I'm going to feel anxious' so you then go and frantically find as much junk food as possible. I've been there many times and it's not a good feeling at all, it's a loss of self control.
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would say that was a binge...whether it's an ongoing thing I don't know but maybe you were feeling stressed or something?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    There is a HUGE difference.

Over eating means you ate too much. Maybe you indulged in some foods you don't normally eat, or dinner was so good you went back for second and are a bit full now. But you don't feel ill, you were in control while you were eating, etc.

Binging is generally associated with binge eating disorder or other EDs. The person loses all control. They will eat anything they can get their hands on, sometimes going into the trash or eating spoiled food in extreme cases. They have no control over their action and cannot stop. Binging is usually triggered by some sort of emotional or situational trigger. The person will often become sick, only to keep eating. After the binge they will feel and immense feeling of guilt, may feel like they hate themselves, and their stomachs will be painfully full.

It's very important to know the difference between these two words. People with EDs, especially BED fight a hard battle, and when you say "OMG I just binged! I ate three slices of pizza and two cookies!" it's basically a slap in the face to them.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I would say binging is an [uncontrollable] consumption of really excessive amounts of food. The urge/impulse to just eat, usually high sugar/fat foods.

Overeating is just eating more than your body needs to maintain a healthy weight. You can overeat because you're hungry (the foods you ate weren't that filling), or because you really enjoyed the meal, or because you were bored while watching a film, or because you went to a party and had food that was calorie dense and not that filling, or alcohol! There are lots of ways in which you can overeat that would not be classified as binging. People even overeat on purpose. I do (I'm trying to gain)
  • kc82060
    kc82060 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This isn't a really "technical" explanation.... but I see the two as TOTALLY different!

I have a longggg history with binge eating. It's something where you can eat decent all day, but you have strong cravings to indulge. I've had periods where I would eat an entire sleeve of cookies, ice cream, 5 slices of pizza all in ONE sitting. It's like an uncontrollable (well, it IS controllable) thing where you just get an overwhelming feeling of the inability to stop. You're not hungry; you eat because you crave it. Or at least that's how I explain my binge eating.

Over-eating is completely different. Last night I overate on my calories, but not deliberately. I was out at dinner and had a little too much food. It's not like I was hiding in a closet with a pint of ice cream.

This ^^^. Definitely a difference between "bingeing" and overeating. Sometimes a Hershey kiss can turn into a real disaster and set me off. Feels like you can't stop; "I've already messed up today; let me just keep eating" kinda thing. I have to remove myself from wherever I am/whatever I'm doing at the time to try and break it. Literally, leave the house, throw all the "bad" stuff away, etc. Overeating occasionally isn't bad for you. Bingeing can control your life.