Feeling overwhelmed with this season!

Options
I am totally feeling overwhelmed by all the amazing tasty food going around! especially with my birthday coming up as well as christmas so that means meals out cake, christmas pudding mince pies and most of all CHOCOLATE! I'm afraid its going to completely stop my progress this month and im also scared that with all the amazing food going about i'll be tempted to binge! The binging bit is the most scary for me as that always piles the pounds on!
I'm currently stuck at 62kgs aiming to get down to 55kgs but the motivation to keep going is very hard concidering im trying to hard to stick to 1200-1500 calories a day (mainly 1200) and the weights just not budging!

Any encouraging words or advice at all?

Replies

• calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    HI, December can be totally overwhelming! My birthday was Friday and that meant office coworkers brought me in food. I went out to dinner on Friday with my husband. I managed, you can too. You don't have to be perfect, just do the best you can and move on. I ate a half a bagel from all my co-workers birthday food that they brought in. (they brought ME donuts, cake, crossaints, and i am not sure what else). It was all in the break room and I went in and got my half a bagel and said I would come back later for more.I kept my bagel on my desk until it was my normal snack time, at which point I finally ate the bagel....and I never went back to the break room for seconds.

On Friday I planned my day out, eating low cal during the day and then going for a hike so that i knew I wouldn't go over with dinner. Picking and choosing is important. you are making lifestyle choices, since this needs to be a lifestyle, not a diet. I am looking at the entire month of December the same way.

Remember to log everything even if you go over.:flowerforyou:
  • deanjou59
    deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    HI, December can be totally overwhelming! My birthday was Friday and that meant office coworkers brought me in food. I went out to dinner on Friday with my husband. I managed, you can too. You don't have to be perfect, just do the best you can and move on. I ate a half a bagel from all my co-workers birthday food that they brought in. (they brought ME donuts, cake, crossaints, and i am not sure what else). It was all in the break room and I went in and got my half a bagel and said I would come back later for more.I kept my bagel on my desk until it was my normal snack time, at which point I finally ate the bagel....and I never went back to the break room for seconds.

On Friday I planned my day out, eating low cal during the day and then going for a hike so that i knew I wouldn't go over with dinner. Picking and choosing is important. you are making lifestyle choices, since this needs to be a lifestyle, not a diet. I am looking at the entire month of December the same way.

Very well said- and very true :)
  • healthyhappyred
    Options
    Girl, I feel ya. I have a HUGE sweet-tooth and I am being tempted left and right with delicious sweets. Hot chocolate, cupcakes, and donuts, OH MY! Something that I am trying to do is control what I can control. Basically, whatever meal that I have complete control of (breakfast, lunches, and packed snacks), I make really healthy. I am sticking to my normal, healthy breakfast routine and my snacks are still whole fruits/veggies, so that when I am in a situation where eating a dessert is just so tempting, I go for it! If I had a greek yogurt, banana, and coffee for breakfast and then ate my spinach salad for lunch, I can totally indulge in a little holiday treat. This plan is helping with the sweets guilt that I so often feel :)
  • GroverBlue78
    GroverBlue78 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Very well said- and very true :)

I like the suggestion of logging everything even if you go over. I am terrible at logging and I think it is because most days I do go over. But, I guess if I was logging and seeing how much I was going over it would make more sense why the scale goes up instead of down.

My strategy this month is to not skip a work out. I have even tried to add in a few more. But I think if I am diligent with logging that will help as well...I am determined not to let December get me down by going up :p
  • been2boston
    been2boston Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I sooo hear you! The last week or so has been really frustrating for me; I really want to eat the cake, pie, chocolate, cookies that are going around and NOT worry about it, but I know I can't. For now, I'm still logging everything- looking at how far I've come has helped a bit.

Best of luck to you!!!!
    -Kel
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I don't have a sweet-tooth so I don't have it very bad during the holidays; just a slice of pumpkin pie for me. Good luck with it and remember to log it all; especially if you know you are going to have issues with it. Try setting a reasonable goal for christmas day of 2.5k calories.

As for the rest of the month, just keep that stuff out of your house. It's not hard to avoid if it's not there.
  • sixpackdream
    sixpackdream Posts: 55 Member
    Options

This is the best advice I have seen in a long time. I don't reach my daily goal about twice a week -lol (failure? maybe). But I am logging everything and I am still losing weight, a little more slowly than if I was perfect, but with a lot less pressure.

It almost seems like if you know that you might fail once in a while, but that it's okay, it takes a lot of pressure off. Just start the next day and "Remember to log everything even if you go over".
  • daisystewart17
    Options
    Thank you, i will definitely follow your advice and try manage the treats without depriving myself!
    And thanks i will try log everything its hard sometimes seeing it down in black and white but i guess thats the way we learn from our mistakes!
    Daisy
  • daisystewart17
    Options
    Thank you I like the advice on setting a goal of 2500 for christmas day! its just hard when i lose track of how many chocolates i've put into my mouth! haha so difficult to calculate and knowing me christmas day will be over 3000 haha, ooops just gonna have to try my best to keep it as low as i can without it ruining the day!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Don't punish yourself! Truly! I have decided that December is going to be my relaxed month. I have set myself to eat at maintenance and I work out 3-4 times a week but I am not hitting it anywhere as hard as I have been for the last six months.

I read on here about taking a diet break. That does not mean eating junk constantly and avoiding exercise but it does mean giving your body a break from constant deficit and change. The first few days I did this I felt so guilty and anxious like I was screwing myself over and interestingly enough I feel fantastic. I've even managed to drop a pound (water I'm guessing). I just dont stress over every little calorie and grueling workouts (don't get me wrong I have actually become addicted to screaming muscles).

My suggestion is to be kind to yourself. Don't go crazy but enjoy! Christmas will come and go in less than 3 weeks and after the first jump back on it! Still enjoy a good workout and enjoy your food!

The article on taking a diet break said what's the rush anyway? Enjoy life!

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html