Do you eat more when you are sick?

Options
I've had a cold for the past few days, and I have been STARVING. The cold hasn't really knocked me out too much, so I've been exercising, and I've kept my calories in a pretty normal range most days. But today, I feel like nothing will fill me up! I've already eaten 1500 calories with no exercise (rest day).

So do you eat more when you are sick? Does it affect your progress?

Replies

• osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    no one? bump?

ehhh whatever I'm making a grilled cheese.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It is your body trying to protect itself. I've been ill off and on for the last 3 weeks, completely ruined my progress, but it takes less time to get back on track than you think. I've found over the last year or so that 10 days is enough to recover from any kinda of eating bad/overeating.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I tend not to be too hungry in general when I'm sick, BUT, I certainly won't worry about calories and my weight when I'm either sick or recovering from some major illness or surgery.

None of these three things have happened to me since I started down this new food path, I'm merely stating how I will handle them when/if the time comes.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    oh dear ... haven't been sick in years.. however .. when I do get sick .. or have in the past .. I lose all appetite and have to force myself to get even liquids in me. Just not hungry.
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of sick. I have a bad cold right now and had a massive breakfast. We'll see how the rest of the day goes.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Before my surgery (I had weight loss surgery) the answer was a definite YES!!!!!! If I was sick (unless it was a stomach bug), then I was hungry!

I have only been sick once since having my surgery, and I had no appetite at all...

Great job with continuing to work out :) What I have always heard was that as long as it wasn't in your chest, then you were fine to work out!
  • Lovely_Doll
    Options
    It depends on how sick I am. If I have a fever and/or am vomiting, I usually don't have the appetite to eat anything at all other than some crackers and maybe a bit of soup. If it's just a flu or something, then yeah, I try and eat more to get my energy up.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This summer I broke my right clavicle which required ORIF surgery to repair. I definitely ate more during that time. I felt my body needed the extra nutrients to repair itself. Now that I am fully healed, I am hoping to drop those extra 10 pounds I gained.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yes I do and it's very easy to do so, don't beat yourself up about it. Stress will lead to even more problems.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i always feel like im starving when im sick
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I did and I think I got over is faster. Then I continued with the upped calories and began losing more.
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    when I'm really sick I usually can't eat much, I'm not hungry at all then
    only trying to eat some chicken soup then :c
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I have. If it's allergies/sinus/cold I often lose my appetite.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I usually go with what my body is telling me. If I'm hungrier than normal, I eat. If I'm not hungry, I don't force myself. I figure it more or less knows what it needs for whatever is wrong.
  • SLBry6024
    SLBry6024 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For me I lose the hungry feeling. but once Istart feelinglike my self I feel like I can get enough.
  • wellisawstars
    wellisawstars Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I got a cold on Friday, and I ate at least 300 calories more than I needed on Saturday. I think a day or two of being sick and eating more is OK as long as you recommit when you're better.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I probably should eat more but I always eat less, not hungry...
  • nanny999
    nanny999 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. That's why I am really trying for a better head game this time and trying to be prepared for stuff like that....so I can substitute better food when eating attacks come. I like chocolate. Trying Swiss Miss diet (25 calorie) cocoa....good with Wasa Crisp bread for crunch.
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    heh heh, been fighting a head cold for a week and thinking the same thing.

Yup, I think I DO get more hungry when it's not the flu. I was grumbling that I was hungry but really couldn't TASTE much because I was so congested.

When a fever hits, or stomach issues occur, I usually lose interest in food.
  • psychic_atrophy
    Options
    I tend to lose my appetite when I get sick, so I have to force myself to get enough to fight the cold. Logically thinking, your body is doing more work making you healthy, your body needs nutrients to fight the virus. I say eat if your are hungry, but try to make it nutrient dense foods like veggies and whole grains that way you get the most bang for your buck :)