Who here walks to lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• playitagainsam
    playitagainsam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Most of my weight loss came from walking. I'm male, 32-years-old and started walking on March 30, 2012, everyday. I started with 30 mins, then quickly challenged myself and worked up to 60 mins a day. Then 60 mins became 4 miles, then 4 miles became 6. I eventually started alternating and walked one day and then weight trained the next and have continued this routine. When the time changed this year and it got dark earlier, I had to stop walking and switched to P90X Cardio for a cardio workout and continued to weight train. On the weekends, I still walk walk in the mornings - about a pace of 1 mile every 12 mins., walking 7 miles now. In these past 8 months, I have lost a total of 117 lbs., most of it from walking.

This is actually the second time that I lost weight from mainly walking. So, yes, you will lose weight by walking. I have read that walking is actually the best workout for weight loss and is better overall that running or jogging and you can maintain steady breathing and build muscle better by walking. It's also less stressful on your body.

One tip that I have is if you are going to make walking your exercise for weight loss, make sure you get out there and really get into it. That is, don't just go for "leisurely strolls" (LOL!) but really get out there and give it your all. Really make a workout out of it. Challenge yourself and keep moving. You don't have to get a wicked about it, but just keep pushing and keep moving. The weight will come off.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've been walking to lose weight for years. :)
    Add that to calorie counting and knowing what fuel you put in your body will lead to losing pounds. Good sensible diet and exercise (not necessarily crazy exercise) will do you the power of good.

Absolutely, no need for any extreme regime. :)
  • marytf
    marytf Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I walk, I love it & it's something I look forward to most of the time!
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    I do it.