The Golden Rule - How to lose fat

Options

Replies

• tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Also I personally believe it's more about what you eat than how much... if you eat the right type of foods then there is no need to calculate so precisely.

NOPE

you have violated the golden rule

go to the end of the line

Yeah, back of the line for sure.

By this reasoning, I could eat an entire roasted chicken with brown rice and veggies and not have to worry about it.

Yes you could eat an entire roast chicken and not worry about it.
    In fact that would be very preferable to the hot dog, pizza and white iced jumbo cinnamon roll meals that you carefully calculated and entered into the MFP...
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    So if you are saying calories in less than out. I know you don't mean 1400 calories in and 1500 out. But what is the line? Is it TDEE or BMR or below, which one do I use? If I eat 1300 per day how many calories do I want to burn out?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Also I personally believe it's more about what you eat than how much... if you eat the right type of foods then there is no need to calculate so precisely.

NOPE

By this reasoning, I could eat an entire roasted chicken with brown rice and veggies and not have to worry about it.

In fact that would be very preferable to the hot dog, pizza and white iced jumbo cinnamon roll meals that you carefully calculated and entered into the MFP...

What ever float your boat....why are you on a calorie counter site then?
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    People want someone to tell them the "secret" the "magic way" "the special pill" "the special plan" they want someone to tell them you can be lazy and lose weight.

Diet / Exercise / Willpower ... that is my motto. No fads, no trick, no quick loss.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

NOPE

If you say so. A whole roasted chicken is in the neighborhood of 1400-1600 calories. I guess I could fit in some bread and veggies on the side, but that would one meal for the whole day. No thanks! I would much rather stick to my calorie goal and keep losing weight. :bigsmile:
  • faupster
    faupster Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So if you are saying calories in less than out. I know you don't mean 1400 calories in and 1500 out. But what is the line? Is it TDEE or BMR or below, which one do I use? If I eat 1300 per day how many calories do I want to burn out?

I would suggest trial and error to find out works best for you. Increase the deficit each week and see what happens.

I found have a 500 calorie deficit to be a good goal for me. If that is to hard or to easy then adjust accordingly.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the golden rule to lose WEIGHT? Wheres the info on preserving lean mass to lose fat while minimizing muscle loss?

I don't know... I followed your golden rule and lost WEIGHT and still looked fat and flabby when I was done. ;_;
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the golden rule to lose WEIGHT? Wheres the info on preserving lean mass to lose fat while minimizing muscle loss?

I don't know... I followed your golden rule and lost WEIGHT and still looked fat and flabby when I was done. ;_;

just add resistance training to the caloric deficit to retain as much as lean mass as possible
  • faupster
    Options

It is impossible to lose weight and gain muscle. Period.

That being said, if there is enough protein in the diet then muscle loss can be minimal when eating at a deficit to loose fat.

If Flabby you are referring to is loose skin or more fat - then the only way to fix that is to lose more fat, then fill the void with muscle.

Most people don't understand how much fat is on their body. Look up images of people with different body fat %. The Shredded look does not happen until the numbers are very very low.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    - 1-1.25g per pound TOTAL weight
    Come again?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • faupster
    Options
    Come again?

Basically that is a good way to start, you can get more exact but its not needed for beginners(in my opinion).

Most people will never hit the protein they need each day unless they go out of there way do to so with shakes, bars, and careful meal planning.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    This was 6 months ago. I understand that perfectly but your post says how to lose FAT. What I'm saying is you neither addressed adequate protein intake nor the importance of strength training while in a caloric deficit to minimize muscle loss.

Therefore should this be the golden rule- how to lose WEIGHT

It is impossible to lose weight and gain muscle. Period.

That being said, if there is enough protein in the diet then muscle loss can be minimal when eating at a deficit to loose fat.

If Flabby you are referring to is loose skin or more fat - then the only way to fix that is to lose more fat, then fill the void with muscle.

Most people don't understand how much fat is on their body. Look up images of people with different body fat %. The Shredded look does not happen until the numbers are very very low.
  • faupster
    Options
    This was 6 months ago. I understand that perfectly but your post says how to lose FAT. What I'm saying is you neither addressed adequate protein intake nor the importance of strength training while in a caloric deficit to minimize muscle loss.

Thanks for the critical analysis of my post that is intended for beginners.. not advanced members such ar yourself..
  • dangap
    Options
    You need to add, High rep training doesn't increase caloric burn. If you're weight training to burn calories, then you're misinformed. <- Don't add that part.
    [/quote]

I'd be keen to hear an explaination on how this comment can be true?
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Thanks for the critical analysis of my post that is intended for beginners.. not advanced members such ar yourself..

I'm just saying why isn't that included? I was a beginner over a year ago. I did pretty much exactly what your list said and received unfavorable results because no one ever stressed that to me.

That's all ;)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

Just want to jump in to say that I was a beginner a year ago, and I really appreciated knowing about getting enough protein, and the importance of strength training for fat loss right from the get-go. That being said, you are just a regular user on MFP, it's not your duty to cover all the bases.

People who really care about these things will research for themselves, like I did :smile:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is a major, life-changing endeavor for many people. The choices and degree of seriousness devoted to this intervention can be akin to buying a home. Yet some people take it quite casually and often do not properly educate themselves on key topics that would improve their understanding of fat loss and look for the quickest method possible.

If you are going to buy a home, one should appraise it to see how much it is really worth. Likewise, one should find out what their actual TDEE is by eating the maximum amount of calories needed to maintain weight relative to present activity rather than using prediction equations. Unfortunately, most people have no idea what their actual TDEE is. Since successful fat loss strongly depends on accuracy in reporting calories eaten vs energy expenditure, not knowing your baseline calories is leaving significant room for error.

While taking a few months to eat up to maintenance and holding it, take the time to peruse through scholarly journals that discuss the endocrine system's role in one's metabolism, energy balance equation, macro-nutrients, and contribution to fat loss from exercise. You'll have far greater success at losing fat and keeping it off the more prepared you are prior to beginning a fat loss intervention.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is a major, life-changing endeavor for many people. The choices and degree of seriousness devoted to this intervention can be akin to buying a home. Yet some people take it quite casually and often do not properly educate themselves on key topics that would improve their understanding of fat loss and look for the quickest method possible.

If you are going to buy a home, one should appraise it to see how much it is really worth. Likewise, one should find out what their actual TDEE is by eating the maximum amount of calories needed to maintain weight relative to present activity rather than using prediction equations. Unfortunately, most people have no idea what their actual TDEE is. Since successful fat loss strongly depends on accuracy in reporting calories eaten vs energy expenditure, not knowing your baseline calories is leaving significant room for error.

While taking a few months to eat up to maintenance and holding it, take the time to peruse through scholarly journals that discuss the endocrine system's role in one's metabolism, energy balance equation, macro-nutrients, and contribution to fat loss from exercise. You'll have far greater success at losing fat and keeping it off the more prepared you are prior to beginning a fat loss intervention.
    Most people wouldn't do this because they always want the "quick way to lose weight" sadly.

You are one of my favorite posters because you always make so much sense. :flowerforyou:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Come again?

Basically that is a good way to start, you can get more exact but its not needed for beginners(in my opinion).

Most people will never hit the protein they need each day unless they go out of there way do to so with shakes, bars, and careful meal planning.

So you mean:

Eat 1-1.25g of protein per pound of body weight.

Makes much more sense when you add that noun. I have a hard enough time getting 70g, let alone the 226g you say I should eat. I'll stick with 1g/pound of lean muscle.