No more alcohol!

Options
Last night was the first straight Friday night I've had in a longgggg time. I haven't changed my weight log since 11/4 when I weighed in at 242.0 - since then I've been up as much as 5 pounds and then back down throughout the week. But I'd drink on Friday or Saturday, and the next morning there was that weight back again. I decided the alcohol had to go. This morning, the scale smiled at me - I now weigh 242.4. :happy:

Replies

• Dianalovescats
    Options
    Alcohol does make people gain weight.
    Also, weighing urself isnt good if u havent seen a change in the way u look. When u see a change, then go and see how much you lost, or gained. :)
    Good luck!!
    And also good luck on the " NO MORE ALCOHOL! "
    :-D Bye!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    You are doing yourself a big favor getting rid of alcohol.You will feel better and look better and you' 'll save money! Good luck!
  • JeanneJeanne
    JeanneJeanne Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I don't drink because I'm an alcoholic, and I can't imagine trying to lose weight while including alcohol calories in my total daily allowance. I'd starve to death! Best wishes on your journey.
  • KathyRed07
    Options
    The problem with alcohol (for me) is that I can usually fit it into my calories without a problem - BUT when I drink, it Triggers my snacking.......BIG TIME!! It happens EVERYTIME, and then I beat myself up the next day.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking while I concentrate on losing weight.. too many empty calories plus the next day i am always famished and want to eat everything in sight.

I don't think I would have lost half as much if I kept up my friday night outings.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A beer, a glass of wine, a shot of the hard stuff is 100-150 calories. If you are trying to lose weight you should be aware of liquid calories. Alcohol has almost as many calories as fat. So either limit alcohol or stop altogether. Good luck on this journey!
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am not yet ready to give up my alcohol on Friday and Saturday nights, but I always bust my azz to work it in!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Good for you. It makes a difference for me too. I can't drink much alcohol anyway -- my body just doesn't metabolize it well and I can be sick the next day after 2 small glasses of wine. I just drink very very occasionally!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If you really want to see how many calories in alco, read this (pretty accurate): http://getdrunknotfat.com/. I don't keep any alco in the house anymore as like some of you, I get the munchies. I do allow myself an adult beverage, but only in small amounts and only once in a while.

Out of sight, out of mind...says the ex-abuser :)

Proud of you!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I wish I could give up alcohol because it would make weight loss so much easier, but it's one of my few reliable pleasures.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Alcohol does make people gain weight.

alcohol does not make people gain weight.. moderation is the key for everything.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    For those of you in the UK that also want to help others, Cancer Research are holding a Dryathlon event. Sign up by Jan 1st.

http://www.dryathlon.org.uk/?gclid=CLjw6fWqi7QCFSHHtAodg2YAew
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Not only you are saving yourself the extra calories, you are also doing a huge favor to your body cycles (heart, sleep), immune system, insulin and metabolism! :smile:
    All the best!
  • christylindquist
    christylindquist Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I realized that alcohol was hindering my full potential as well. I have not had an alcoholic beverage in a few weeks and actually don't miss it at all..especially when the scale continues to go down.
  • chocohollic
    chocohollic Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi there!, I'm pretty much the same. I joined here a while ago, but stopped because I realised I was kidding myself with not counting alcohol into my calories and just logging the food (silly eh!).

Also, after an evening of wine consumption, i'd crave the wrong foods the next day so fighting a losing battle there too!

Now i'm back after giving myself a good talking to. I've actually just had enough of alcohol in general - not just because of the calories - I just can't see the point in hangovers on the weekend any more - what a waste!

This has been my first weekend free, and many more to come - I'm really looking forward to being back and hoping that the weight starts to come off, for finally logging honestly :)

Good luck with your weight loss! x
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I made this decision back in September. Best thing I could have done. I have been limiting myself to 1-2 drinks per month for a special occasion. Every Friday night is no longer a special occasion for me.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I log my booze and set my daily goal lower than necessary to make up for it on a weekly basis.

For me the worst thing about going out drinking is the temptation to eat after; vodka soda doesn't really have many calories.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Alcohol has been cut out of my life in a big way for many reasons on top of weight loss and health. It's not the calories in the alcohol that was getting me, it was the calories in the full pizzas, boxes of mac and cheese, hot dogs or any other after bar food I was indulging in. Then the day after "hangover epic meal time" day that was ruining me. If I wasn't an all or nothing person, I would probably still drink more than I do now. But for now, I keep it for once every couple of months. :) good luck!
  • banjobaby
    banjobaby Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    that's great! all but cutting out alcohol has done absolute wonders for my weight! it's probably one of the biggest changes i've made recently that has made the biggest difference. so many useless calories that do nothing to promote health!

i now have ONE glass of wine 1-2 times a month if that as opposed to 4+ ridiculous drinks a week on average.
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you really want to see how many calories in alco, read this (pretty accurate): http://getdrunknotfat.com/. I don't keep any alco in the house anymore as like some of you, I get the munchies. I do allow myself an adult beverage, but only in small amounts and only once in a while.

Out of sight, out of mind...says the ex-abuser :)

Proud of you!
    Thanks for posting this Web site. It's going to help me so much!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!