Eating at Maintenance for the Holidays

Options
Just as a contrast to another thread about starving for the holidays. I plan to eat at maintenance for Christmas dinner, and also for the company Christmas party, and maybe even on New Year's. Also, I plan to eat the occasional Christmas treat, including my beloved peanut butter balls and iced sugar cookies.

Anyone want to join me? :bigsmile:

Replies

• stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I'll join anything that involves peanut butter balls.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I shall be eating at maintenance on Christmas day.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Y'know, that's a really good idea. Better, certainly than starving for it. And realistic.

I am planning on meeting my calorie goals for the holidays - I did over Thanksgiving - but averaging over the week instead of the day. But eating at maintenance allows a lot more flexibility and is realistic if you're going to be out and about a lot.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'll join anything that involves peanut butter balls.

They are my favorites! And Christmas would not be complete without them!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Y'know, that's a really good idea. Better, certainly than starving for it. And realistic.

I am planning on meeting my calorie goals for the holidays - I did over Thanksgiving - but averaging over the week instead of the day. But eating at maintenance allows a lot more flexibility and is realistic if you're going to be out and about a lot.

I managed to stay at my normal calories for Thanksgiving, so I might be able to do the same at Christmas as well. But for Halloween, I went up to maintenance for two days. I'm just trying to keep it real and keep the stress out of my life.
  • cinderelli83
    Options
    My plan is to try to stay active over the holidays... like playing wii, dancing or maybe going for a walk every day to balance it all. I'm going to "try" to stay on course but not be as worried if I happen to go over. I probably wont eat as much "portion wise" in order to stay on track...

But I totally agree- lets keep the stress of all this OUT and actually enjoy the holidays!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    My plan is to try to stay active over the holidays... like playing wii, dancing or maybe going for a walk every day to balance it all. I'm going to "try" to stay on course but not be as worried if I happen to go over. I probably wont eat as much "portion wise" in order to stay on track...

But I totally agree- lets keep the stress of all this OUT and actually enjoy the holidays!

:drinker:

The holidays are for merry-making, not for stress. No stress allowed! :bigsmile:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    My plan is to enjoy, but to try and keep a balance, to limit things like bread sauce, roast potatoes and stuffing, but to enjoy the rest.
    I will try and limit myself to just a portion of the mince pies, cake etc, if I have those, and try and continue eating my fruit, greek yoghurt and eggs in hopes those will prevent overeating on other things. Also going to take some resistance bands(I go to my mother's for xmas) and either walk, jog or workout a little each day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm always at maintenance anyway, but I think it's a great idea. Think of it as maintenance practice.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea. I will eat at maintenance on Christmas and on New Years and on my Birthday and on my wedding Anniversary (all this month!) LOL! Better hit up the gym though :p
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I am in... especially since I won't be home for the holidays so I have less control over food, dinners especially. Between my cousin and I going out to eat at Maggiano's, Christmas Eve dinner to go from Olive Garden, Christmas morning cinnamon rolls, Christmas Day dinner, and my cousin's husband's birthday breakfast the next day... yea. Lots of food and that is not even counting the cookies and ice cream! I will be happy to maintain. Very very happy lol.
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a weight range I'm comfortable maintaining. My holiday goal is to get to my lowest weight within the range before Christmas and then I shouldn't get above my highest range after.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm always at maintenance anyway, but I think it's a great idea. Think of it as maintenance practice.

I like that!
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea. I will eat at maintenance on Christmas and on New Years and on my Birthday and on my wedding Anniversary (all this month!) LOL! Better hit up the gym though :p
    I will see your birthday Christmas wedding anniversary and New yEAR and raise you by husbands birthday as well.. Crazy month! And yes I am eating more this month my goal is to NOT GAIN this month!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    We will be in Florida for 1.5 weeks or so,. I am thinking of eating at maintenance during that time. I got the idea from someone on here. There is so much I can't control while out of town, so this will take some of the stress off me. We also plan to do a lot of walking to help out!
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    We will be in Florida for 1.5 weeks or so,. I am thinking of eating at maintenance during that time. I got the idea from someone on here. There is so much I can't control while out of town, so this will take some of the stress off me. We also plan to do a lot of walking to help out!

That's my plan too, till vacation is over. Maintenance is a reasonable strategy. Enjoy!!!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes.

How I love being one of the ones trying to gain over the holidays. :bigsmile:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    There's that saying

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas."

I'm going to enjoy the things I want to around this time of the year but just in smaller quantities than I used to.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am going to enjoy my holidays; it’s only 2 days out of the year, it will not break everything I accomplished so far.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Nah, I'm eating way past maintenance on Christmas and New Years :bigsmile: