Do no carb diets work?

Options

Replies

• clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying to go on a no-carb diet in order to lose the fat covering my muscles... Is that healthy? I've been at it for a week now and its easier than you think....

it is an extreme approach

it is not required to reach your goal

very hard to maintain for any extended length of time

risks outweigh the benefits

my vote is no.......not worth it

No it's not. Scare tactic.

This is true, but a half truth. Method matters just as much as the caloric intake.

Opinion, I think the opposite. 10 months in and I feel better now than when I tried a carb loaded CR diet. Some people can't get over the initial carbohydrate withdraws, and that's because they crash into it.

Baseless scare tactic.

My vote. Yes..... Totally worth trying.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Did the Atkins diet once. 30 carbs per day. Lost 50+ lbs in 3 1/2 months. Started gaining it all back 3 months later. Then gained even more. Did NOT work for me. It will get the weight off, but then it is not sustainable. To this day, I cannot look at an egg without cringing. I ate so many eggs. And this was ten years ago.....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you would do this.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks.
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd have a hard time giving up bread & pasta :ohwell:

On the other hand, limiting your carbs could give you a boost if that's what you're looking for. I know someone on a low-carb diet which is a result of being borderline diabetic, however they have seen significant weight loss over the past several months. I don't know all of the details of the plan but it's whatever their doctor recommended.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Check into the types of carbs, types of fats, etc. More important than an all or nothing method. All bacon, red meat and cheese, and no veggies, bad in the long run. I know people who have been very successful with the low carb, but they also have always gained back their weight when they are not on the program.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The first thing I saw in this thread was a mention of Gary Taubes. Taubes is pretty famous for twisting and cherry picking data to fit his preconceived journalistic goals (he's had plenty of controversy about unethical behavior in his career,) so if the initial argument for low carb diets is using Taubes as a source, it pretty much invalidates it.

As for the OP, if you're still in high school, cutting out nutrients is NOT something you should be doing.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I do low carbs. You need to get some carbs for fiber. But get your carbs from green veggies. And lower sugar fruit like strawberries, cantaloupe, and blueberries but eat these in moderation. Many people will tell you that low carb is bad. It's not for everybody. But it is working great for me. And yeah, I do plan on being on it the rest of my life. I feel great and have energy. I love the options. But I would not recommend "no" carbs!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying to go on a no-carb diet in order to lose the fat covering my muscles... Is that healthy? I've been at it for a week now and its easier than you think....

This is true, but a half truth. Method matters just as much as the caloric intake.

Opinion, I think the opposite. 10 months in and I feel better now than when I tried a carb loaded CR diet. Some people can't get over the initial carbohydrate withdraws, and that's because they crash into it.

Baseless scare tactic.

I've lost fifty pounds eating over 200 grams a day.

To the OP. PLEASE!!!! Eat your vegetables at least. You need fruits and veggies for vitamins.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    No carbs means you will be eating pretty much just meat and eggs. Even dairy has carbs. I wouldn't recommend that. However, a LOW carb diet would let you include veggies and dairy into your diet, which would be much healthier in terms of nutrition.

When I maintain a low carb diet, the fat just melts off me and I find it hard to put weight on. As soon as I get over 110 gms/carbs/day (which will be different for everyone, of course), I get puffy and bloated, no matter how many (or few) calories I'm eating.

There's a reason that body builders go to a low carb diet before competitions. It really melts the fat off and shows your muscle tone. Of course, you have to EAT and EXERCISE to have muscles. It's a bit of trial and error till you figure out the magic formula for yourself.
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For the short term, yes. Use it to kickstart weight loss or get past a plateau.

If you're looking for a guide, check out Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss handbook. His plan is very low calorie, high protei diet with minimal carbs and fats. It's not meant to be a diet that you stay on forever, of course.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well veggies are very important for health i mean they have carbs but if you ate them all day long nothing els you would lose weight and flush your system!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Baseless scare tactic.

dude-

she said NO carbs not low carbs

NO carbs is an extreme approach
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It's not sustainable and when you resume old habits the weight may return. Eat a balanced diet and burn more than you consume if you want to lose weight.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Even going from a high carb to a moderate carb diet made me feel like crap. If I cut carbs totally I think I would short circuit. Plus how long can you keep it up? What happens when you reach your goal? I would rather get my body used to running on a well balanced diet. Then you don't have to worry about gaining everything back when you can't stand it any more and eat 2 loaves of white bread in one sitting :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No carbs means you will be eating pretty much just meat and eggs. Even dairy has carbs. I wouldn't recommend that. However, a LOW carb diet would let you include veggies and dairy into your diet, which would be much healthier in terms of nutrition.

When I maintain a low carb diet, the fat just melts off me and I find it hard to put weight on. As soon as I get over 110 gms/carbs/day (which will be different for everyone, of course), I get puffy and bloated, no matter how many (or few) calories I'm eating.

There's a reason that body builders go to a low carb diet before competitions. It really melts the fat off and shows your muscle tone. Of course, you have to EAT and EXERCISE to have muscles. It's a bit of trial and error till you figure out the magic formula for yourself.
    No. It does NOT "melt the fat off." Bodybuilders switch to a low carb diet before a competition to eliminate water weight, which makes their muscles look bigger. Has nothing to do with fat.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to lose weight for my wedding I cut out bread, potatoes, rice and pasta (the starchy carbs) for a month and I did lose quite a bit, and then I reintroduced them, but in small amounts, and I didn't put the weight back on.

Now I try to just cut down on them. Usually I only have 1 slice of bread a day (although today I had some ciabatta too) and I rarely eat pasta or rice. I'm still losing weight at a nice rate, so eating some carbs hasn't done me any harm.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Did the Atkins diet once. 30 carbs per day. Lost 50+ lbs in 3 1/2 months. Started gaining it all back 3 months later. Then gained even more. Did NOT work for me. It will get the weight off, but then it is not sustainable. To this day, I cannot look at an egg without cringing. I ate so many eggs. And this was ten years ago.....

did you ever get out of the induction phase and add carbs back slowly until you started gaining then back off to a maintenance level?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    It's not sustainable and when you resume old habits the weight may return. Eat a balanced diet and burn more than you consume if you want to lose weight.

And if after losing weight by eating a balanced diet, you go back to bad habits, what will happen?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    No carb diets are perfect for dead people.