The Hobbit

Options

Replies

• Hogfan22
    Options
    I AM SO READY!! and will be first in line!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm excited :smile: - I loved Lord of the Rings, so glad that Peter Jackson is doing the Hobbit as well. I have read LoR, and the movies were what I had in my head IYKWIM. I have never actually read the Hobbit, have it on my bedside table to read once I finish my Robin Hobb Farseer Trilogy, then into the Hobbit, I want to read it before I see the film.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    cmcollins001 posted:
    I don't like crowds of people enough to go to the opening, BUT I will see it at the theater. I've been waiting for this since the cartoon disappointment they put out so many years ago. LOVED the book!

You didn't like the Rankin/Bass version in 1977? I thought it was kinda cute, and the depiction of Smaug was well-drawn.

They don't animate films like that anymore. It was all absolutely beautifully drawn. And I agree about Smaug.

smaug-rankin-bass.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I went on imdb today, and apparently Elros is in the second movies. That could mean some amazing flash backs.

Yes, that would be interesting.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I have been waiting for this movie for ever!!!!!!!!!! I work friday though so prob sat I'll go see it :flowerforyou:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    cmcollins001 posted:
    I don't like crowds of people enough to go to the opening, BUT I will see it at the theater. I've been waiting for this since the cartoon disappointment they put out so many years ago. LOVED the book!

You didn't like the Rankin/Bass version in 1977? I thought it was kinda cute, and the depiction of Smaug was well-drawn.

They don't animate films like that anymore. It was all absolutely beautifully drawn. And I agree about Smaug.

smaug-rankin-bass.jpg
    Agreed!
    I saw the cartoon when I was 7 or 8 and insisted my mom take me to the library for the book. Although I can't handle movie crowds so I will be waiting a few weeks.
  • NyxariaMoon
    NyxariaMoon Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I work in R&D for a small software company and our latest release just so happens to be on the 14th. We are making sure that everything is ready to go on the 13th, so that on the 14th, we can celebrate by going to see The Hobbit. I'm so excited!
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Wendy, I have the Rankin/Bass version on VHS - I'm tempted to watch it tonight, but I have to get cracking on my gift-wrapping and making out Christmas cards! :ohwell:
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Waiting til Christmas so I can go with my hunny. Hope I understand it since I never saw lotr. He can explain what I've missed.

It's okay the Hobbit is the first book. :)
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    - and all this talk is reminding me, I have a copy of The Children of Hurin that's been gathering dust in my bookshelves for, oh, I don't know, maybe three years now? *kicking myself*
  • darling_gail
    Options
    It's one of my favorite books, and I loved the LOTR trilogy, so I will be going. I am a big fan of Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch (they also star in PBS series Sherlock Holmes).
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Wendy, I have the Rankin/Bass version on VHS - I'm tempted to watch it tonight, but I have to get cracking on my gift-wrapping and making out Christmas cards! :ohwell:

I used to have it. I'm tempted to buy it for myself for Christmas! :laugh:
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I will go sometime after the first night. Too crowded. Loved LOTR since childhood. I have read the series over 17 times--as I'm sure many of you have. Also the Silmarillion several times. I think Maedhros is my favorite character---or Glorfindel--anyway I love the elves! ---dwarves not so much---they love riches more than honor.
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to the midnight show but I cannot wait! I just rewatched the 3 LOTR movies within the past week in anticipation haha
  • Celticthunderfan
    Celticthunderfan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am re-reading the Hobbit to get ready. :)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Slightly nervous about the fact that it's THREE movies (not really sure how they can do that without it dragging/spreading thin), but still very excited to see it regardless.

he's incorporating more Tolkien source material and going deeper into the background of Middle Earth and its inhabitants.

http://www.eonline.com/news/335186/why-peter-jackson-really-wants-three-hobbit-movies-and-you-do-too
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I never liked the book or LOTR all that much, but Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch of the English TV series "Sherlock" are in it, so I will see it.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I finally get to take my bf to a move I'm more excited about than he is!